Newbie – Question re Vegetarian getting more fat on the BSD

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Ziggy
    on

I notice that a lot of people say that the 800 cals should be weighted more towards the fat content than the carb content. Do any vegetarians on the BSD have any tips on how to eat more fat than carbs, I am off spuds, rice, pasta, bread etc. I also notice that anything with fat in it is highly calorific, e.g. 100 ml vegetable oil is 812 cals.

Also. I don’t eat yoghurt or cottage cheese unfortunately as a lot of people seem to use these as a source of non-meat fat.

BTW – is there a way to search the forum for keywords, it would save me from having to read every post looking for specific topics

Thanks in Advance

Ziggy – kissing goodbye to Visceral Fat (fingers crossed emoji)

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Ziggy – I’m not vegetarian, but I can advise keeping use of any root veg low, as they are higher in carbs than veg that grow above ground. Yes any fats are high in calories, but you don’t need a lot to help you feel full and it will help you feel full for longer too. Try adding a drizzle of good olive oil to a salad for instance. You say you don’t eat yogurt or cottage cheese, but what about cream and other cheeses? These would make a good addition to your diet, helping you to get some fats and proteins too. – a creamy sauce with mushrooms perhaps or cheesy sauce with cauliflower would be good. It’s definitely worth spending calories on fats, as that helps to burst the fat burning process.

It’s hard to get your head round the whole ‘fat is good’ thing, given the rote we are so accustomed too, that full fat is evil and carbs should make up the bulk of one’s diet. Try to stick around 50g of carbs per day if you can, as this seems to be the level at which most people find the pounds drop.

Hope that helps a bit. Sorry I don’t know about keyword searching on the forum – hopefully someone else will know.

Keep us posted on your progress and good luck with achieving your goals.

• posted by Ziggy
    on

Thanks for the answer. I have been low(ish) carbing for some years now and was a big proponent of fat is good – due to the diabetes forum I belong to. Oh I eat cheese and cream. It’s just that any decent amount of these is very high cal. A cube (mouthful) of cheese is 100 cal! And nuts are very high too. Would more protein instead of fat help? The body can utilise protein instead of fat (if there are no available carbs).

I have even bought a yoghurt today and am intending to try it, as it has been many years since I tasted one and my tastes may have changed.

Will see if I have any weight loss tomorrow SunnyB, I don’t feel any lighter, and take it from there.

Are your 8 weeks over? Or I see you went to Turkey so did you stop the 800?

Anyhow thank you for your answer and good luck in your progress.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Sorry for the late response Ziggy. Try grating the cheese, so that a little goes further and/or try a few pinenuts (you’ll be surprises how many there are in 10g) – they are high is cals, but a few go a long way sprinkled over a salad, adding fats and flavour. If you can make friends with yogurt, that would really help. Lidls do a really creamy one that is 10% fat (125cals per 100g, of which 4.2g are carbs) and is only £1.40ish for a litre tub – it’s the Turkish Style one. Also, tahini is oil and makes a good dressing – again high in cals, but a little goes a long way and it makes a nice dressing, drizzled over salad or even cook veggies.

I did 7 weeks before I went to Turkey, losing 13lb and post Turkey (having gained 2.8lb back), I’ve just started into week 3, so I suppose technically I’m over the 8 weeks mark, but I’m treating them as two separate events, so I’m on week 3. While I was away, I didn’t weigh and measure, but I tried to stick to the principles of the BSD 800, avoiding all the high carb nasties. I did transgress, which explains the gain, but I used ketosticks to give me an idea of how I was doing, so that helped to keep me on the right track and not gain heaps.

Anyway, please let us know how you have been doing and if you are seeing progress now. Keep going, it will come right I’m sure.

• posted by Ziggy
    on

Hi SunnyB
    I have bought some low fat grated cheese – just 30% lower and it goes a lot further, and I still get some fat. I do use some omega grains and seeds mix in salads.

Today I ate a yoghurt for the first time in 30+ years, but, it was a Danone zero fat blueberry yoghurt – so no fat, but the good news was that I could eat it and found it Ok (ish).

I use a vinaigrette at the moment with mostly vinegar and a little bit of olive oil as a dressingl. I make sugar-free jellies with summer berries and can use 12.5 gm of squirty low fat cream which gives me a bit of fat and is only 30 cal or so..

But, I’m at day 9 and am going OK, thanks to your help and others in the forum. As I say I have low carbed for a good few years and it is now a question of tweaking it to be lower carb and cal. TBH, I was allowing the carbs to creep back a bit in my diet and because I don’t test my blood had no way of knowing how my BG levels were. I was due my HbA1c a fortnight ago but told the nurse I was trying a diet and would that I would take the HbA1c after the diet. She was none too pleased, but at the end of the day it is MY diabetes not hers. Tested my BP too for the first time in years as it was always high when I tested at home and lo and behold it was the lowest it has ever been – 119 over 69.

You didn’t gain too much weight over in Turkey so well done on that, I did post my first weeks loss in the 800 forum. It was 5 lb 11 oz. Do you have diabetes? As it is unclear from your profile info but you do mention ketosticks which made me think you might have it.

Thanks for your reply SunnyB it is very much appreciated and motivational.

Keep on losing in the (not so free) world

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hey Ziggy
    Sounds like you are getting there. Great news about the BP and hopefully your bloods will come back with good news too. Well done on the weight loss too – that’s close to 6lb you don’t need to worry about any more.
    No I’m not diabetic, but was bordering on obese – usual story of being too short for my weight! Ideally I would like to drop 28lb overall and I am teetering on hitting the halfway mark. Hoping I might see that achievement when I do my final weekly weigh-in on Monday morning. We are away this weekend though, so it might all go wrong.
    I started using the ketosticks while I was away, purely as away to show me if I was in ketosis or not, as an indication of how I was doing with keeping the carbs low enough, as I had no bathroom scales to rely on to show me how I was doing. Anyway, it worked pretty well, as I managed to keep myself on the straight and narrow most of the time using that method. Now I’m addicted to using them, just as a security blanket really.
    So, keep at it Ziggy. Try a full fat yogurt and add in fresh fruits yourself – nicer and better for you on the BSD. Look forward to hearing how you progress.

• posted by Ziggy
    on

Ah – I understand the ketosticks now SunnyB – good idea you had to use them. You are doing so well towards your target – hope Monday morning’s weigh in puts a smile on your face.

Don’t know about the full fat yoghurt, I have 3 no-fat still to eat and whilst I managed to eat the first yoghurt, I wasn’t singing its praised that highly, plus I do hate wasting food. Still trucking on though, I do find planning ahead really helps regarding meals.

Waiting for good news of your progress.

😎

• posted by SunnyB
    on

I guess yogurt isn’t to everyone’s taste. How about a little cream with some berries to help push up the fat content instead? Bit worried about weight-in on Monday, as we are away for the w/e from tomorrow. Will be armed with ketosticks and trying my hardest to stick with the programme though.

We’ll catch up each with a progress in a few days.

• posted by Ziggy
    on

Oh, I’m eating sugar-free jellies with summer berries and cream every night – very yummy – the cream is lowish fat but has still got fat.

Good luck to you for the W/W – keep being a loser! But remember – life is for living/

Laters

• posted by Ziggy
    on

Oops W/W should have read W/E

• posted by Middleage1
    on

Well done on the weight loss. Good luck. As regards the issue of fat. As stated above use a little drizzle of a good oil in your cooking, I use extra virgin olive oil and for my desserts I have been mixing in berries with full fat natural set yogurt (Asda) which contains 65 calories per 100 grams. If at the end of the program you decide to go on the 5:2 diet, for instance, it will give you scope to introduce more good fat into your diet.

• posted by Middleage1
    on

Sorry Ziggy
    I didn’t realise you didn’t eat yogurt.

• posted by Ziggy
    on

I have eaten one yoghurt in 30+ years and that was this week – a no fat blueberry yoghurt.

I did the 5-2 diet last year and lost a stone on it. I am looking to reverse my diabetes this time though!

• posted by Stewart
    on

It is not about the fat content, it is about protein.

The thing I like about this diet is that it can be very healthy living, and low fat.

So I am doing low fat, low carb, high protein.

However I do avoid any foods labelled low fat as they tend to have carbs added to replace the fat.

So I have full fat yoghurt, but that is cause of the carbs in low fat.

Hope this helps.

• posted by Ziggy
    on

Thanks Stewart, I have noticed that I have been unconciously upping my protein intake during the past fortnight.

• posted by Ziggy
    on

Today – breakfast was – Tesco full fat greek style yoghurt and blueberries – I kept it down!!!!! IBut the tiny pot was quite calorific – added sugars!!!!! Will have to check out a less sweetened variety. Full fat Greek Yoghurt seems quite hard to get – especially in small individual pots!

• posted by BSD13
    on

What is the ideal ratio on Cals : Carbs : Fat on 800 BSD?

Please log in or register to post a reply.