Newbie here – give me some accountability please!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Gtownclaire
    on

I have just started this morning, after lots of thinking that something HAS to change. I need to be held accountable, because I know I have trouble sticking to things. I don’t have T2 but I have PCOS and insulin resistance, and have been overweight since I was a child (at the age of 15, I did weight watchers, and my lowest weight was 63kg – still overweight even then)

26 years young
    157 cm tall
    88 kg light
    BMI: too high

• posted by cmawp
    on

Hi, well done for taking the first step.

You’ve made the hardest decision already and you’ve also taken action. If your reason for starting is strong enough, you will stick to it.

There are multiple reasons not to do things, focus on the positive and physically write the question ‘Why am I doing this eating plan?’ and write your personal reasons, warts and all. Put it in your purse and don’t show it to anyone. When times are hard and you’re doubting, pull out your slip and read it.

On another slip, write ‘I will achieve a weight of xxKg by following this eating plan fully’ and put that in your purse.

The power of physically writing down your goals is amazing. If you have difficulty following things, this may work for you. You have this forum, you could also buy the book.

I have just completed my first week and I’ve lost 8.2Kg. Your first week can give you an incredible boost to keep going.

• posted by Gtownclaire
    on

Thank you for that cmawp – definitely my plan for day 2! Write it down, keep it handy.

So day 1 wasn’t too bad – we always have loads of food in the staff room at work and yesterday wasn’t any different. But I stuck to my plan, and didn’t eat any biscuits or french bread. I even had a function after work and was offered nibbles and wine – again I declined and opted for a glass of water, rewarding myself when I got home with a lovely piece of fish (hoki) and plenty of leafy greens, topped off with a mug of steaming peppermint tea.

If I can have that kind of success cmawp in my first week, I will be elated! Right, time to enter the staff room to make coffee, and avoid any leftovers from yesterday. Wish me luck ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Gtownclaire
    on

So midway through day 3 and going strong!

Day 2 was a series of temptations, with cake in the staff room and yet another evening function to attend. While others ate their fill of pastries and sandwiches, I indulged in green tea, avoiding the networking taking place around the nibbles table.

I’m being boring with my meals at the moment – same things every day, but have ordered the BSD book and will begin experimenting with meals and tastes soon. At the moment my meals are extremely satisfying, and I’ve upped my intake of green or peppermint tea when I feel cravings.

• posted by shalimar
    on

You’re doing great! It is really tempting when high carb/calorie foods are all around at work.
    I’ll have to write down my motivations and goals and put them in my purse. I have started a food/exercise blood sugar journal …. it’s kind of odd that i don”t even want to write down my little slip ups in that journal which no one but me sees. But i’m writing them down anyway!!!

Good luck …. keep up the great work … and if you slip up don’t worry, just do better next time.

๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Tray
    on

I’m a newbie too – still reading the book so not yet started diet – was wondering if it’s possible to mix and match the meals on the 8 week plan as not sure will like all the suggestions? Hoping to finish book by weekend and begin Monday ๐Ÿค”

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I’ve only read bits of the book, and followed none of the recipes so far, just followed the principles of the diet, so absolutely it is possible. Pick and choose to your hearts content but make sure you keep it balanced, and use similar substitutes for anything you don’t like. One thing you may find though is that your tastes change as you get into the later weeks so keep trying things, even if you historically didn’t like something. Good luck!

• posted by Sumo
    on

Read the book so I am following the principles really but use http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary to help count cals and carbs, it is surprising how and where the carbs hide?
    I use only a few of the recipes from the book, I think I am heading in the direction CaptL went European style breakfast, meats, natural yogurt with fresh berries and cheese, keeps the carbs low, which gives more carb wiggle room through the day.

• posted by Gtownclaire
    on

Hi guys, some great suggestions, especially using MFP! I log everything I eat each day, keeping track of sugars, calories, and carbs.

Day 4 is here! I feel great, haven’t had any headaches or ‘carb flu’ yet, but it may still come. Another evening where I was able to maintain self-control (Very unusual for me!), drinking soda water and lime at the local pub quiz with work colleagues. I even restrained myself from picking at the fries that were sitting on the table – right in front on me I might add!!

I’m really looking forward to receiving my book and trying the recipes! Mixnmatch – so right about the taste changing. The slice of lime in my drink last night was so much more aromatic than I remember, probably due to the lack of sweetness in my diet in the last few days. I love it!

Keep going guys, and good luck with starting Tray!

๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by JMG
    on

Well done Gtownclaire! You are doing really well. Like you, I have PCOS and insulin resistance and believed that I couldn’t lose weight but am really enjoying the eating plan and having success with my weight.

Captain Lynne’s story is very inspiring if you have time to read back over her posts.

Keep up the good work. It is difficult when you have food around you all day at work (I do too.)

• posted by shalimar
    on

My accountability story.
    2 days of high calories and carbs and alcohol.
    Today : 900 calories but way over on carbs — but complex carbs namely assorted beans. Good protein in salmon.
    Good news …3 days of normal blood sugar between 4.5 and 7.9 without medication (probably from previous fasting). At least my blood sugar has been normal for almost 2 weeks now.

I just wrote down my motivation, my plan, and put it in my purse …. and set an interim goal to be done by Dec. 10, which is a weight loss of approx. 2 lbs. per week and normal blood sugar. Then i will set a new goal.

Thanks for the ideas and the accountability.

Fell off the wagon for 2 days but i am already back on.

• posted by Gtownclaire
    on

I feel I’m echoing you here shalimar. Spent the last 2 days at a training weekend, fulling catered. The biggest difficulty was avoiding the biscuits at morning and afternoon tea. In the office I can grab a coffee and go back to my desk, or sit with friends and chat. At training however, I wasn’t able to wander off away from the food, so sat and nibbled with everyone else. I was careful with my portion sizes at meals though, despite being served carb heavy food, and don’t feel too many adverse reactions, coming home to a lovely salmon and salad dinner provided by my family, so all’s well that ends well.

Day 7 and I’m excited for week 2 to begin. I have been jumping on the scales most mornings, to keep myself motivated, and will gauge an official weight tomorrow morning. Already I’ve heard that I’m slightly less double chinned, so definitely heading in the right direction. I know a lot of people find that the weight loss in the first week is a great motivator to keep going, so I’m anticipating the plateau in a couple weeks, and will begin planning accordingly. reading the forum posts is a great way to keep on track and remember why we are here!

Have a great day everyone! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Gtownclaire
    on

Week 2 day 1 here I am!

83kg this morning! I have no doubt that a lot of that 5kg loss is water weight but none the less its a huge motivator to keep going! I’ve set a mini goal of getting under 80kg and this looks to be in sight!

I experimented with “Zero” noodles last night, a brand of konjac food that has 5 calories per serving. Doesn’t taste of anything, but I had it with my hoki and spinach, and it bulked up the meal, tricking me into thinking I was eating a huge bowl of pasta. Have a look here: http://zeroslimandhealthynoodles.com/

I’m heading away for 3 days on Thursday, and this is making me nervous. It’ll be a long car ride there and back to the city, and my colleagues are big on fast food, so I’m trying to plan for travelling food. Again, as long as I am aware of portion sizes and not eating processed carbs, it should be relatively ok. Here’s hoping.

How’s everyone going?

๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by shalimar
    on

Today is better for me too. Had a Denver sandwich, egg ham onion … but only ate 1/4 piece of the bread. Then had 3 small chicken drumsticks. I may have a bit of chicken broth with cauliflower and spinach later. Should be okay on calories and carbs!!

Good luck with your travel plans!
    p.s. Nothing wrong with eating the contents of a hamburger, chicken burger, etc …. and discarding the bun. I either get a plate and cutlery or just use the bun as a holder. As for wraps …. same thing. Maybe bring some plastic cutlery and paper plates. Some vegetable juices with low calories and carbs come in cans or plastic containers.

• posted by Gtownclaire
    on

Week 2 day 2!

Shalimar, great idea! I may have to think about that, because there are only so many coffee’s I can order at each petrol station we stop at!

I had a huge disappointment when I stepped onto the scales this morning – 84kg! I know its probably just a fluctuation and I haven’t actually put on weight since yesterday, but it felt like a kick in the guts. This is why I shouldn’t check everyday! It’s only going to mess with my mind and motivation. However, I had a great day yesterday, and am only hitting about 700 calories a day, although with a banana daily (in my breakfast smoothie), my carbs are usually just above 50 so that could be a change that needs to happen.

Keep it up everyone ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by shalimar
    on

I don’t have a scale at home …. and so far i don’t get to the gym even every second day.

Personally i think it’s better not to check so often …. my body is a bit stressed right now, for a number of reasons … and my blood sugar is up even though i’m finally in the ballpark re calories and complex carbs.

I think stress can also affect the results on the scale … such as worrying on an upcoming trip! ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m still feeling lovely about fitting existing clothes better … and fitting into lots of new clothes which used to be just too tight.

I’ve also stopped drinking and eating tons of food (it’s healthy food but i really don’t need to be stuffed til bursting). Took something for the constipation (CRAMPS!!!!) ๐Ÿ™‚

Elevating my feet … raised the foot of my bed too.

Someone recommended magnesium here (it’s on the web research too) so i’m going to get me some. I think i’ve had waaaayyy too much salt so i may get some potassium as well … don’t worry i’ll be careful with that.

Going to get back to taking a bit of my liquid multimineral/vitamin.

Not taking metformin … as my blood sugar is still under 10 even with current stress on my body.

• posted by Gtownclaire
    on

Week 2 day 7

The last four days have been terrible. My trip away was full of sweets, burgers, and the odd alcoholic drink. I came home craving a salad, but had no food in the house save for a ready made soup meal – not terrible in terms of calories and carbs, but probably filled with preservatives. However I started this morning with my usual smoothie, and even added half a teaspoon of turmeric. Not the best taste, but I hear its good for joints.

I am expecting an increase on the scales tomorrow, but I know that its my own fault for not having enough willpower while I’ve been away. Que sera sera, I still have 6 weeks to go, and no plans of going away this coming weekend.

๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Gtownclaire
    on

Oh and I came down with a wretched cold last night and slept very little, so am craving some comfort food! Unfortunately have some important meetings today, otherwise I would have called in sick to work and slept through the day. Just going to have to drink copious amounts of green tea with lemon, and hope for the best. How do others handle being sick on the 800?

• posted by shalimar
    on

IDEAS FOR HOW TO HANDLE BEING SICK ON BSD???

Do far i’ve only had sickness where i just go to bed …. Don’t really feel like eating anything … and if i do … i don’t have ANY simple carbs in the house. If i eat … i eat stuff with no preparation … slice up some cucumber …. add Miracle Whip mayonnaise on a can of tuna or salmon.

I had to go out and get coffee cream and throat lozenges and i was tempted by crisps/chips … but i looked at the carb/cal counts and decided not too!! Bought some deli chicken instead.

As for craving salad … i went on a trip to Toronto a few years back …. and i was so craving the green … i found East Side Marios who has unlimited salads …. i spent 3 of my trip there … just scarfing down salads by the ton.

I had a spoon of honey in tea once. With my sore throat right now … i’m drinking coffee with heavy cream … just keeping my throat coated.

• posted by shalimar
    on

I still have my sore throat and painful sinuses …. i was debating staying in and reading …. but i’m actually staying in and eating. It’s a short walk to the Bulk Food Store …. so i’m going to bundle up and go get some nuts and pumpkin seeds … and just get vertical for a bit. So far i’m eating healthy easy to prepare food … almost no cucumber left!
    I guess it’s not quite as sore as yesterday …. so i AM definitely peckish!!

• posted by Carb_Addict
    on

It;s good to hear about others struggling with PCOS and accompanying insulin resistance – I’m on day seven of the BSD (although only second day on the 800/8) and have so far not lost a gram! Thrilled to hear about others having great results in their first week but it does make me wonder what’s happening inside me. Will keep plugging away but I hope I get some movement on the scales soon to keep my spirits up. At least I appear to be through the grumpy carb withdrawal phase!!

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Carb_Addict – have you MEASURED???

Don’t forget either to take your measurements, or easier, have some clothes to judge against. Because sometimes weight is reluctant but yet you find your clothes are looser. It’s the visceral fat melting away.

Weight in pounds can be really discouraging, so don’t get hooked up on that. Other people are other people and you are you and we are all individuals. So just check the MEASUREMENTS ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Carb_Addict
    on

You’re right of course – and no I haven’t measured intentionally as I find those numbers too depressing. I decided to gauge progress against my clothes instead and so far it’s the same too. However I have noticed an improvement in energy (most days) so something must be happening. I intend to keep going across the full eight weeks and judge the the bigger picture is at the end of it. I do believe my body HAS to release some of the extra 35kgs it is carrying at some point. I’m 95% vegan with occasional fish, so my 800 kcals is predominantly coming from vegetable sources too. I definitely need to drink more water so some of the issue might be water retention. I’m eating so cleanly (especially compared to usually) that I have faith that the scales will start edging down eventually. Just have to keep facing forward…. This forum is terrific support. Thank you for your input!

• posted by Gtownclaire
    on

I’m back! Great to hear some supportive comments to everyone! Yes, water is brilliant and really helps to shift the weight ๐Ÿ™‚

So I dropped of the wagon while I was sick, and couldn’t pick myself up again, but I spent the weekend planning and prepping my mental state, so this morning was right back into it with a berry and turmeric smoothie. I’m excited for my salad and egg today, and am filling up on hot water and lemon before a mid morning coffee.

The scales this morning say 86kg… so in less than a week of comfort eating, I’m up 3 kg, but that’s ok. I know that wallowing in self-pity just makes me eat more.

Keep it up guys, keep measuring, keep drinking water, and well done everyone!

๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by cmawp
    on

Hope you’re back on track now Gtownclaire. Have you read the section in the book about catastrophic thinking?

You certainly eat some serious sounding low cal, low carb foods! I haven’t been brave enough to stray from the recipes in the book when I’m at home.

Thanks for the recommendation on the Zero konjac noodles. I put them in the Spanish chorizo and chick pea soup and was thoroughly stuffed!

Please log in or register to post a reply.