We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Sunderland
    on

Hello everyone
    I am a fit older woman but need some encouragement in losing some weight without fasting…..for the time being!
    Also, I have just bought the BSD recipe book and am a bit confused where to start.
    Any suggestions?

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Hello Sunderland! First, being a “fit older woman” sounds good! Although some on here do fast (in a real sense), others don’t. Can you tell us a bit more about starting point/goals? This is a very broad church but all benefit from the BSD. Best wishes.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Sunderland, the original BSD book was not about fasting as it was for diabetics. Dr M has since brought out his Fast 800 book which is about fasting. I never fast (unless I am going for blood tests) and only use BSD principles or 800 calories per day with 50g carbs or less. You can start by cutting out what we call the white starchy carbs like potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, sugar and also most processed foods which usually contain lots of carbs and sugars. These can be replaced by having more veg or, having looked through the recipe book, making substitutes like spirallised courgette in place of spaghetti or cauliflower mash in place of potatoes. Start planning your meals and counting up the calories and carbs. You will need a nutrition counter for this, like fat secret or just google the food you are planning to eat and work it out from there. If you are high on carbs you will also be high on calories as carby foods tend to have more calories i.e. potatoes, rice. The easiest way is to continue to eat what you would normally, especially if you are also cooking for a family, and leave out the carb element.

Thats just to get you started. You should also drink plenty of water as carbs cause water retention and as soon as you stop eating them your body will release fluids which need to be replaced, sometimes a pinch of salt is also useful. Fluid loss is also a by product of weight loss as the fat is flushed out so dont be alarmed if you are constantly having to pee, even during the night. Your body will get used to.

Hope that helps.

• posted by Sunderland
    on

sixturkeys, thank you for your reply and apologies for not replying sooner.
    My starting point, if this makes sense, is that I cannot seem to budge from a certain weight and am wondering if this is what I have to be because I am an older woman!
    Sunderland
    PS Love your name. I am usually Villageduckpond but decided to have a change!

• posted by Sunderland
    on

sunshine-girl, many thanks for your detailed reply and apologies for not replying sooner.
    I can see I shall have to sit down and write out what I should and shouldn’t be doing and make better plans especially when I am food shopping!
    I do, also, have a problem with drinking plenty of water so I shall have to make a super effort to drink more.
    Again thank you for your suggestions…..
    Sunderland

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Hi Sunderland, I am not sixturkeys any more in terms of “excess” – but I have definitely not been consistently “good” since I started in January! I really don’t think our weight is suddenly fixed for evermore after a “certain age”, as so many have shown, but yes I think post-menopause, the body responds differently. The obvious point may be that your carbs are still too high to address the insulin resistance. I am really bad at counting, but from the counting I have done, I have got a much better idea of what is better/portion sizes/general balance in what I eat (what I drink is different but that’s pretty obvious in terms of slow down, but the trend is still there…). Sunshine Girl is also spot on.

• posted by Sunderland
    on

Good morning sixturkeys and again thank you for your reply.
    I am sure you are right about the carbs and am motivated to start seriously cutting back as from today!
    I was booked in for a keep fit class this morning but seem to have developed a pretty painful neck and shoulder ache so not able to go which is a great pity. Things are certainly sent to try us …..don’t you find?
    Anyway onwards and upwards as the sun is shining.
    Sunderland

Please log in or register to post a reply.