Newbi with confusing blood sugar results

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by AndreaG
    on

Hi there
    I have been looking to get fit and lose weight, and having done the 5:2 previously (with good results but fell off the wagon) I had something of an epiphany last weekend and decided I had to get control of my weight and fitness levels. I have been dealing with anxiety for several years, but this now seems fully resolved following hypnosis (after trying everything except medication, this was the one that worked for me), so I’m ready to move on. My diet is generally good 80% of the time, but I have a weakness for cheese and pizza. I also think I was drinking too much (couple of bottles of wine a week), and adding sugar and milk to my coffee wasn’t helping. I started walking more a few months ago, but no more exercise than that. I read the BSD diet book, and it all made sense. I had bought some meal replacement shakes to deal with lunches and breakfasts I can’t prepare meals for, so I just need to cut out potatoes and bread (as I’m not keen on pasta anyway) to stick to the diet – its not far from the way I eat normally. I did a mindfulness course last year, and generally don’t really feel hunger in the same way as I did, and do’t get the same cravings. However, I am 90.5kgs at 160cm, so way overweight.

Anyway – the question was on blood sugar levels. I have always had low blood sugar on the occasions it has been tested (not many, as I am generally well). I also had low cholesterol (with a good proportion of good and bad, although I forget the numbers), fairly low blood pressure and heart rate of 60.

First test, 6/10/16 3 hours after lunch 6.3
    Fasting test 7/10/16 overnight fast 5.6 (7.30 in the morning)
    Fasting test 7/10/16 overnight plus morning (15 hours) 5.2 (10.30 in the morning)
    Fasting test 7/10/16 18 hours 2.7 (1.30pm)
    FAsting overnight 8/10/16 2.4 (7.30am)
    Fasting overnight 9/10/16 2.0 (8am)
    After eating dinner 9/10/16 6.00
    2 hours after dinner 9/10/16 6.00
    Fasting overnight 10/10/16 6.6 (at 7.30am)
    Fasting overnight 10/10/16 5.6 (at 10.30 – after coffee and milk, and exercise)

My understanding is that the fasting results of 5.6 and 6.6 are too high, and 2.4 and 2.0 are too low? It also went up from 6.0 2 hours after eating (around 6pm on sunday evening) to waking when it was 6.6. I’ve been low carb on each of the days, and drinking 4 litres of water (this is new thing). I exercised every day with a cardio routine (plus a short run on the 6th and 7th) but I didn’t do much exercise on the 9th. I have been drinking a cordial in the evening (to avoid wine) which has about 30 calories (largely form sugar) but otherwise I can’t see why the results are so variable. I feel very well otherwise.

I don’t know whether I should worry about this or not? I lost about 1kg during the week, which isn’t great but at least its in the right direction, and the cardio is making me feel fitter.
    Any ideas?
    Many thanks

• posted by AndreaG
    on

PS – I had a meal replacement at 10.30, and just retested at 12.30 and its 5.2.

Please log in or register to post a reply.