New Year 2020 ! One Week at a Time beginning 28th January 2020

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Scottishgal
    on

It’s so good to see you back here Amz. Sorry life is still not treating you well. But I totally agree with Wendy. And well done for resisting the pizza last night. When I read you were going to fast at a social event my first thought was ” no way. Bad idea and impossible to do” so I’m really impressed that you managed it. Well done you!
    I was out for a meal last night to celebrate my partner’s retirement (I’m so jealous of him lol). I wasn’t as bad as I could have been and resisted the chocolate fudge cake ( although still dreaming of it). I was really good during the day in preparation for the meal and I’ll be good for the rest of the weekend. So, hoping it won’t have done too much damage.
    Have a great weekend everyone, whatever your plans

• posted by Gattina
    on

Hi all and happy Caturday 😉
    Hope your weekend is going well. This is just a quick hello to everyone – I’m over all the frustrations from last week and thank you for the support.
    I’ve agreed to do some cat sitting this weekend, I looked after them when they were kittens last year and I haven’t seen them since the summer so I’m looking forward to it.
    Will try and do some gardening this weekend – tidy up a bit before the spring sets in properly and definitely head out for a walk in the park. I’m trying to do my 10,000 steps and if I drag myself to the park I do usually manage it.
    Amz – I’m impressed at your resistance – I don’t know if I could resist pizza 🙂
    Wendleg – good luck with the open day and enjoy the acquagym – is that like acqua-aerobics? let us know how the aubergine ricotta went – sounds like a good combination.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Well done Amz !!!!!!!!!!!!! Just keep going and remember we are all rooting for you and wishing you well. You never need to feel alone …come and check in anytime xxx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hmmm retirement Scottishgal ..I’ll be celebrating soon too 😉 I did my last Open Day at school today. No more getting up at 6.30 am on a Saturday morning !
    Choc fudge cake really is not good for you Scottishgal, you know that ! Well done for resisting it and now banish it from your thoughts 😉 Oh I love a good nag 🙂 😉 Enjoy the rest of the weekend xxx

Hi Gattina ! Hope you had a lovely day catsitting and walking. I have been checking out our location in Valencia and lots of places to see on foot. There is a lovely Central Market so I will be happy sourcing my salad and hubby will seek out his smelly Cabrales cheese !
    Yes aqua gym is the same as aqua aérobics. There is no way I could cope with jumping on a gym floor so it suits me fine !

The aubergine ricotta recipe was supposed to be rolls of aubergine filled with the ricotta and spinach mixture , topped with a tomato sauce. I had far too much filling so it turned into a ‘bake’ rather than dainty rolls of aubergine but it tasted good ! I tarted it up a bit with some oregano and basil too. There is loads . It was meant to be 2 servings but there is enough for 4 easily ! We often make an aubergine parmigiana and this was a variation I suppose.

I hope the weekend is going well for everyone xx

• posted by AmzTheBeautiful
    on

Hello. I’m breaking my almost forty-eight hour fast with an Asian inspired chicken and broccoli soup.
    Thanks for everyone’s well wishes. Now I just have to get through the super bowl party. It will be impossible to fast then as my friend lovingly pesters me to eat, so I plan to abstain from alcohol and do my best to make good choices. Sweets are so deliciously bad for me so I’m going to try my best to snub them

• posted by SunnySideUp
    on

Just a quick note to say hi to everyone and tell you that I’m still around!
    Thanks for all encouragement on the thread, Wendy and all other regular posters!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Oh wow Amz what a fantastic reboot !!! Just stay focused on the exhilarating feeling of knowing you can do this and keep going. Try to concentrate on sweets being bad and that avoiding them would be wise right now so the sugar doesn’t derail you .

It’s lovely to think of you in a positive frame of mind..keep posting xxx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi Sunnysideup ! Are you about half way through the 8 weeks ? I hope it is still going well for you ! All the very best xxx

• posted by Bryla
    on

Hi All,
    This is a strange one and might be totally unrelated to this woe (can’t find any posts that mention it). This week the tips of some of my toes became red and sore. At first I blamed a sock seam, but things got worse. Having consulted with my mum, a retired podiatrist, I now know they are chillblains! She was astounded, as am I- apparently once most people had heated homes she stopped seeing them in clinic. Never suffered with anything like that in 40 years and take really good care of my feet due to having arthritis in one of them.
    Mum says if I was a patient she’d be thinking about circulation issues. I’ve seen other folks complain of feeling cold, but that usually seems to be attributed to us shedding some of our insulation! Has anyone heard of anything like this, or know of anything I should read? It might be a total coincidence but nothing else has changed in my life and I’m a bit spooked! I do know no one here can give me medical advice.
    Hope everyone’s weekend is going well. Thanks!

• posted by wendleg
    on

I have never heard of anyone suffering from chillblains on this woe , Bryla . Leg cramps, yes. I am aware of feeling a bit cold if I do an extended fast but that’s about it.Some people have mentioned gout too.
    Sorry I can’t help and it’s good that your Mum can advise with her expertise.
    I will keep researching just in case something turns up .

xxx

• posted by heiding
    on

Hi everyone! I’ve been MIA – I planned to spend some time here on the weekend – particularly on Saturday as it was 41 degrees and I was all ready for a netflix day, but a friend turned up unexpectedly along with her dog and about 16 budgies! She lives on a lovely property just outside Canberra and was trying to save some of her budgies (she has been breeding them for decades, they are all so beautiful and extremely rare) from the heat. So their cage sat in my bathtub and they stayed overnight. Unfortunately for all of them my house isn’t airconditioned, I just have one fan. I lent it to her and was so hot myself I couldn’t sleep. The good news is she was fasting as she has started a similar WOE. I’d also lent her my BSD books. We had a lovely dinner and then breakfast using her farm fresh eggs. She left me with a dozen, so I’ll use them through the week. This is my day 3. I was so grateful and inspired by your kindness toward me last Thursday that I went to reformer pilates for the first time in four months! It nearly killed me (doing the exercise and also looking in the mirror, sigh) but I did it. I’m feeling a little more positive. So a million thanks to you Wendleg (hugs back to you!), SunnyB, Arctic fox, Elky and Gattina. What kind people you are. I’ll be doing my very best this week – and hopefully manage to stick to our plan xx

• posted by Elky
    on

Hello everyone, just dropping by to say I’m still here.

It’s lovely to see so many people checking in regularly, including some ‘old friends’ – hi Amz, lovely to see you again 🙂

Hopefully all of you checking in often will inspire me to do the same. My experience last year was that it really did help me if I popped in often, I need to try to get back to that place.

I’ll be honest and admit that I’m struggling just now. I am simply eating too much, there’s no ifs and buts about it. I have managed to keep the carbs low, so I’m pleased about that, but I’m one of those people who must watch the calories super closely too. And, yes, I haven’t been very disciplined on that front. Sigh.

So I’m currently trying to get back into fasting, which I managed to make into a fairly regular routine last year. Alas just now I feel like my throat has been cut. But I am telling myself that if I can just stick with it, it’ll get easier, that perseverance will do the trick. Hoping you inspire me, Amz!

Wendleg, your aubergine ricotta recipe sounds good, did I miss the link to that or something? Can you please point me to it? Or if not, can you please post it? It sounds very good indeed.

Of course just now it’s all salads here as it has been hideously hot, as Heiding said. But cool weather will come again and your bake sounds yummy.

Hope you all have a grand day,

Cheers Elky

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Hi Elky – good to see you!
    Jump back in to Fab Frugal February and I’m sure you can get that boost to your spirits. It has been a crazy January, and with the smoke and heat no wonder you are feeling a bit down and frustrated. The environment can really mess with our moods I think.
    The recipe came from Rod Taylor’s new book and was in the UK DailyMail – https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-7892763/Mouth-watering-family-feast-recipes-trim-confident-motivated.html
    I think I would be like Wendy and not do the fiddly roll up part 😄😄 Just layer it or whatever!
    Hi heiding – I hope your house has cooled off a bit – cool day in Melb today. That’s a fun image – a bath full of budgies!! And fresh eggs to boot. I just had a fried egg (just a bit of butter), haloumi and tomatoes for lunch. I also like to make cloud bread ( Elky put me on to that https://thebloodsugardiet.com/forums/topic/egg-fast/page/5/#post-116851 ) – which uses eggs – if you are looking for a way to use them up. Cloud bread with a spread of cream cheese is my fave.

• posted by Elky
    on

Oooh Merry, thank you for the link to that recipe – and to all of them – they look good!

Cheers, Elky

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi Elky, I had a difficult and stressful week and ate too much as well. Generally stayed on plan with my food but just a lot of it. I’m fasting today to try to get back on track. Trying for around 40 hours if I can. I put on 2kg this week, but was retaining water and now I’m losing it, so hopefully it will just come off quickly and I can get back to discarding again.
    I saw that recipe from Roy Taylor’s book and wanted to try it, but aubergines are prohibitively expensive here at the moment. Maybe we’ll have some at reasonable prices next month when our hothouses return to full production.
    Here’s hoping for a better week this week.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Bryla,
    I have spent a couple of years on this forum, and also on facebook groups for keto and fasting. Like Wendy I have never heard of chilblains being triggered by this WoE.

I have just found some research on the different effects of different fats on our response to cold. That may be helpful https://www.marksdailyapple.com/is-keto-bad-for-the-thyroid/ apparently vegetable fats reduce the efficiency of our thyroid which includes temp regulation, while butter, cream, animal fats and fish oil improved the thyroid function.

• posted by Gattina
    on

Hello weekly achievers – hope everyone is well
    Monday is my weigh-in day so my results are I’ve lost 7 lbs this week and a total of 15lbs since beginning Jan. My BMI now 39.5 so I’m in the Obese Class II instead of Class III – yay 🙂 My first weight target is 15 st so I have 4lbs to lose to reach my target – fingers crossed for next week. My bg was a bit high this morning but that’s because I cheated last night. I went to the corner shop to buy washing up liquid and I came home with a bar of chocolate which just unwrapped itself and jumped into my mouth. I don’t know how it happened – it just did! OK – so not on plan, but I did enjoy it.

I went to my acqua aerobics class this morning – I had missed a couple of weeks because of my cold so it was a bit of a struggle. However I did wear my new swim leggings which I now love 🙂 I felt dressed rather than totally exposed in a swimming costume.
    Lots of hassle getting to the leisure centre – I live close to where the terrorist attempt took place in Streatham/London yesterday – so all the roads were closed. I naively thought it would all be back to normal today. It is very sad there is so much hatred in this world and scary when it’s on your doorstep. But reassuring to hear that so many of the general public were quick to try and help the injured people – there is more good in people than bad.

Bryla – I’m sorry to hear about the chilblains – I do hope you find some help with that.
    Heiding – you made me laugh – I love the image of all those budgies in the bath tub. Poor little things, I’m sure they appreciated your efforts. Enjoy those eggs.
    Wendleg – you’ve started something with your aubergine and ricotta recipe 🙂 Basically it’s spinach and ricotta cannelloni using aubergine instead of pasta. The only change I’d make is not include the mozzarella in the filling but sprinkle it over the top. Maybe even use less of the mozzarella and add in some parmesan. I’ll have to give it a go.
    All the best everyone – have a good and healthy week ahead.
    X

• posted by wendleg
    on

It’s not my aubergine recipe folks, it’s from Roy Taylor”s new book on reversing diabètes 😉 I hadn’t seen a photo of the recipe and now I understand why I had so much filling !! I followed the recipe like an obedient puppy and rolled up the aubergine ‘like cigars’ !! The photo reveals blooming great big rolls !! I forgot to buy mozzarella but snook in a bit of mascarpone instead and yes, Gattina I also sprinkled a bit of parmesan on the top and herbs n the tomato mixture.

I have an idea for the new thread ………………………….xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

You are a good friend Heiding ! I hope you have another good Week and start enjoying the exercise ! Don’t be too hard on yourself looking in the mirror xx We have to start to love ourselves.

Sorry Merry, forgot to thank you for posting the link to the recipe !

Yes, it’s great to see you El ! I agree ..it would be so much harder to do this without support. I was listening to a programme on the radio about addiction and it resonated with me about my food addiction . The ‘expert’ was saying it is virtually impossible to deal with an addiction alone ..and that external support is essential. I doubt I would have stayed the course if I hadn’t found the forum. Just to be able to check in and be inspired by the invaluable advice was key for me and kept me focused. You will soon be back on track El and I do agree that fasting is a useful reboot mechanism . It wll be tough initially but just think how good you will feel when you get through your chosen time.( I like using the Zero app) . You say you are staying low carb so you have already established new habits. It is still too easy to over eat even healthy foods .I have to be careful at not going overboard on the dairy so I am not allowing any to pass my lips this Week !! All the best El !

• posted by Red-Riding
    on

Hi there, Newbie here.
    This forum is great and has answered so many questions I had. I am W4D1 and have lost 24lb’s so far which I am ecstatic with. I still have a long way to go but the early success is very motivating. I would love to lose another 60lbs or so, so I’m here for the long haul. My reason for adopting this WOE is that I have developed high blood pressure and I’m only 40. I did have the diabetes tests but I’m really happy they came back normal. My mother is type 2 though so I know I need to be vigilant.

The first few weeks have been a little trial and error. 800Kcal sounded very low so I started with 1200, then 1000 and i’m now comfortably eating 800 kcal daily. I gave up breakfast straight away which was easy as I’ve always struggled to eat first thing. This weekend I was out for meals and I actually ended up skipping lunch on Saturday (unintentionally) and that was not as bad as I would have expected. Does anyone regularly have just one meal a day?

I have upped my activity levels too getting in 10,000 steps every day and adding a swim 2-3 time a week. Nothing too energetic yet, not sure my knee’s would cope. I have not been measuring carbs only Kcals so far and I might be having too many but given my results I’m not changing anything for now.

• posted by wendleg
    on

I hope you have a better Week articfox. You have been doing so well so don’t get discouraged.xxxx

Wow Gattina, brilliant results !!! Over a stone since January my friend !! You are well on target as long as you don’t go to that corner shop too often 😉 I would need to drive about 4 miles to get to the nearest shop !
    I have never heard of swim leggings ?? I have only seen longer length swimming cozzies with shorts . I do wear aquagym shoes and feel a bit weird barefoot . I went to a class today and had a crafty hammam session again as Open Day disturbed my routine on Saturday. I hope you enjoy the classes Gattina and remember noone is looking and judging. You have made the massive decision to improve your health. You go girl..and have a hug too !!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Welcome Red-Riding ! You have had a great start too ! You are definitely right to tackle the issues now to improve your health. You have identified the risks and you are still young so well done . I took too long to sort myself out !

To answer your question. I never have breakfast and only eat one meal a day 3 days a Week because that fts in with my work routine. Wednesday is half day so I often have something when I get home as well as an evening meal . Thursday is the opportuity to fast as it is my long day. The weekends I often have a brunch type meal and then eat later in the evening. The recommendation ( Jason Fung I think) is not to do OMAD all the time but to mix things up so the body does not grow too accustomed to that regime. As you are starting out nad things are workign for you I would suggets continuin as you are doing and then adjust a bit further down the line if and when you start to stall . It sounds like your carbs must be pretty low for you to have such a good start but take care to banish all the white processed and sugary foods : breads, rice, pasta, potatoes and other starchy veg , biscuits etc etc All the very best

• posted by wendleg
    on

It’s that time again folks , time to renew the weekly thread. I was thinking ….as I will be away from the 9th to the 16th February I wondered it you would agree to have an extended ‘ weekly’ thread until I am fully back in action ? I will be checking the forum and posting when I can but it is never very easy on my phone.I will do my best as I would hate our weekly thread to wither !!

So I am going to set up a thread to run from 4th February to 18th
    I leave on Sunday 9th so will be around this Week until then .
    The thread will then continue from the 9th to the 17th and I will be back then to set up another stretch ?

Phew I hope you can follow that !! 😉

• posted by wendleg
    on

The two weekly thread is set up and I hope to see you all over there . Let us know how you are doing xxx

How are you Amz ? How was the Superbowl celebration ? xx

• posted by Angelsand
    on

Hello im a returner! This has been a life changing way of eating for me and ive managed to stay my goal weight for over two years…. Until the last six months.
    A difficult divorce and becoming a single mum has hit me quite hard in the last 6m and ive taken my eye off the ball completely.
    A year ago i was 9st and today i am 11st. I feel so down and feel like ive hot rock bottom with a lot of things but feel like i need to be kinder to myself and make myself feel good and well again. :0)
    Tomorrow is day one and i need to bond with my book again and get into the habit of drinking water again.
    Would appreciate any tips and advice from all of you and im here to support all of you too. Have a great week and wish me luck 🤞

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Welcome Angelsand, good to see you joining in on the weekly thread idea. The is an old one, the current one being 4th Feb to 18th Feb, as the lady who usually hosts the weekly thread has been away on holiday.

Anyway, look out for a new thread starting either tomorrow or Tuesday and jump on there to meet all the other weekly BSDers. Meanwhile, some people will have seen this and will probably respond just as I have. Will look out for you on the new thread.

• posted by Bryla
    on

Hi Angelsand! Hope to see you on the new weekly thread. In case you’ve forgotten, starting is the hardest bit! But you’ve aced this WOE before and you will again. I’m a novice, only week 6 now, but the great bunch on the weekly thread have helped me with every question and wobble and I know they’ll do the same for you. Most valuable things I’ve learned are to remember it’s not a race and every challenge is temporary. We all seem to find our own way. Go for it!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Angelsand, this is the new weekly thread, so please come and join us
    FEBRUARY 2020 : ONE WEEK AT A TIME BEGINNING 18TH FEBRUARY 2020

Please log in or register to post a reply.