New to this

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by hadenough
    on

Hi I have just read Michaels book.

I have been Type2 for many years now and am on high does of insulin as well as metformin. One of my biggest problems is because I have arthritis in my knees and back, I find it almost impossible to exercise. I get around on a mobility scooter. Does anyone else have this problem and if so how on earth do you exercise?

I am also overweight, live alone and feel, at times depressed and lonely. I want to make a start on losing weight but find it hard with no support. Sometimes I just want to say hell with it all and stop taking my insulin and tablets. I have been overweight for most of my life and like many others, I lose weight then put it all back on plus some.

Any help or support I would really appreciate.

• posted by Just do it
    on

Hi Hadenough, you’ve certainly come to the right place. This forum is incredibly friendly and supportive and will help you every step of the way. I’m not diabetic but others who are have had amazing results, reducing and/or coming off meds completely and losing lots of weight very quickly. I have osteoarthritis in my knee and within days it was improved, I’m now in my 5th week and can bend my knee almost completely and painlessly, swelling has gone right down and I’ve taken up yoga, managing lots of the kneeling positions – just amazing. So I’d say don’t wait another minute, just start today, read the “what have I eaten today”thread and “recipes” for ideas and just ask if you have any questions. Good luck and welcome to the group. Jules x

• posted by Just do it
    on

Oh, and don’t worry about exercise, in a recent interview in Australia with Docs Mosley and Taylor, Dr Taylor said no need to exercise during the first 8 weeks of calorie restriction, you will lose weight anyway.

• posted by luise
    on

Hello, I have just started the BSD too. I loved the book and all the science. I am on my third day and so far it has been a pleasant experience. I cook for a living on a boat, fortunately based in Italy at the moment. But with often long work hours I was reaching for carbs and sugars to get a quick burst of energy ! Slowly the weight crept on and over the years its getting harder to loose. Being short doesn’t help, I only have to sniff a piece of bread and I am 2 lbs heavier!
    I have PCOS which causes weight gain without even trying. The body responds badly to carbs and sugar. So I am hoping that following this new regime will re-educate my body to stop craving carbs and sugary food !
    I must admit, even after a couple of days I feel slightly more energized. I have felt a little light headed at times, but keeping a big bottle of water with me keeps me aware of how much I am drinking or how much I need to drink !!
    The Fage total Greek yoghurt is great, it has more protein by the looks of it than a couple of eggs! I am aiming to try all of the recipes in the book. It helps not having to think too much about the meals. The platters are great for easy lunches and last night I made the Harissa Chicken which was delicious. Today I had the Blueberry green tea smoothie which was OK, but I find blueberries a bit tasteless.
    The cauliflower rice I have been doing for a couple of years. Jamie Oliver was using it in one of his books. Its a great alternative to Rice or couscous. I also will try the guilt free baking recipes, since I am human and I will want to have a treat at some point. The coconut flour I found quite easily in Sainsburys, when I was home. I was amazed. Its usually a real drag trying to locate the more unusual ingredients especially abroad.
    Looking forward to the big weigh in at the end of the first week. 🙂 Happy eating to all.

• posted by lauren
    on

You won’t feel alone with all the love and support on these forums – log in anytime you need a boost and there will always be someone here to answer yours questions or give you encouragement. You’ll soon start seeing results too, which as you’ll read in other people’s posts is incredibly motivating in itself. Good lucking getting started, and welcome to the ever growing BSD family 🙂 and as others have said no need to even think about exercise, just focus on eating the right things.

• posted by marmosh
    on

Hi I have just started the BSD too. I am on my second day, and so far finding it easy to follow the only problem I have is I am not drinking enough water may be yesterday I had 1.5l, how do i increase my water intake.

• posted by orchid
    on

Don’t forget to include all fluids in your count – it is not just water. If you like herbal teas, have a couple of cups of them during the day, that will add a 0.5l onto what you already have. I have to large glasses of fizzy water with iced lime, one at lunch and one at supper. That on top of other fluids takes me over 2l a day.

Please log in or register to post a reply.