New to the Blood sugar diet

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by No_moresugar4me
    on

Hi Everyone, I am new and just starting out on my journey. I am spoke to my Dr this week as I had some blood samples taken as I thought there was something wrong (being thirsty, drinking lots, tired, going to the loo lots, weight loss) and he indicated my blood sugar level is 11.1 and my cholesterol is a bit high. He wanted to put me on meds but I had read up on the Blood sugar diet and he has given me till July to turn things through diet and exercise – sounds simple but is a challenge! I also so testing positive for Covid and in day 7 so can’t make the start I wanted .
    As a family we do eat healthy but I know I was eating the same portions or higher than my sons who are all in very physical jobs and I could still find time for pudding, equally working from home has got me into the habit of grazing and eating between meals and having sugary tea. So I know what to cut back on and need to get more exercise. I have already stopped all sugar and am cutting back portion on sizes with nothing between meals. Trying not to get fixated on my blood sugar level.

Cheers

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi nomoresugar. Can I ask if you are male or female – just looking at the comment about eating larger portions than your sons and just wondered.

Anyway, welcome to the site and you are in the right place to get your BG down. In fact your reading is exactly the same as mine was on my diagnosis. Bit of shock isnt it. I am assuming you are on no meds as your doctor has given you until July – 12 weeks between tests is good as it gives an accurate reading of your improvements. And believe me they will have improved.

First dont just read up on the diet, actually buy the book. Make sure you get the 8 Week BSD book as Dr M has done lots of others but this is specific to diabetics. It will become your bible. As you have covid and want to delay your start, hopefully by only a few days, you can make a start by getting rid of anything you shouldnt have like the obvious treat and biscuit drawer. As you have grown up sons make sure they hide theirs. You must not put temptation in your way.

You mention sugar but the book will help you realise that sugar is only the tip of the proverbial iceberg. So you might not know what to cut back on but that is easily fixed. All white starchy carbs (think anything made of cereal, potatoes, rice, pasta, bread) are actually sugar in a different dress. They turn to sugar in the bloodstream and cause an insulin response.

I would suggest you read the book and then come back with loads of questions or I could give you loads of info now that wont go in. You can do this in 3 months and you are lucky (although you may not feel it) enough to turn this around completely. It will take determination and motivation and a lot of willpower from you. Good luck and dont wait too long to make a start, 3 months is ticking…..

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi ‘No_more sugar’
    Sunshine-girl has given you great advice. I would just like to add that cutting carbs, especially bread, potatoes, rice and pasta, is the key to reducing blood sugar. Weight loss is important but concentrate on carbs more. Exercise, whilst very good for overall health, will not have the same impact on blood sugar as reducing carbs. Sorry to be repetitive but as sunshine-girl says “ white starchy carbs are actually sugar in a different dress”.
    Read the book, enjoy the journey and ask away as and when.

on

Hi Sunshine -Girl, thanks for your response, to answer your question I am male. Yes it is a bit of a shock to get it confirmed I am diabetic. I knew before I got the news from the Dr it would be the case as the surgery indicated my sugar level was high and the Dr would follow up on the results . So I did do some reading and searching and I had picked up two books – the 8 week blood sugar diet and the recipe book. I am enjoying reading the main book as it is helping me understand a bit more about my blood sugar level and what was going on.

My weight was 74kg when I got my sample taken and I see today it is 68kg so my BMI is 23.6 so in the good range. I carry my weight on my tummy and face so I can see I have lost some. So I know I need to lose some more weight and start exercising.

You are right I can’t procrastinate, my plan is to make a proper start on this on Monday when I can get my 2nd negative test, in the meantime I am limiting myself to 3 meals a day and nothing in between (watching out for carbohydrate/sugars). My family eat rice, pasta, bread, potatoes so a bit of resistance from them, so I won’t force them to drop them but I will look to avoid the starchy carbs if possible, and fill up on the veg that is free of carbohydrate.

I was not sure how far I need to go as I was worried I could lose too much weight.

I have stopped sweets, biscuits, crisps, sugary drinks, fruit juice and am taking smaller portions of food at meal times. Agree there are temptations in the kitchen cupboards. The BSD book and the recipe book are really good for food ideas/advice and have had me eating eggs more for breakfast this last week and thinking about changing my behaviour. So I look forward to getting started.

on

Hi Verano, thanks for the post and advice on the carbs, I will avoid them as I go forward. A number of changes to make.

on

Hi again, as far as your weight goes, dont worry, you might lose a bit to start off with but you need to get rid of the fat surrounding your internal organs. The liver and the pancreas being the main organs affecting your insulin response and for cholesterol, you fat storage. Your body needs a short sharp shock so dont be afraid to do the 800 calories or as near as you can for at least a few weeks. I noticed a loss of around 3 inches from my waist in the first 3 weeks even though I had only lost about 7lbs at that point.

Before you ask, yes it is 800 calories for men and women, no exceptions, and no, you cant add back calories if you have done exercise. Famously asked questions. Also, as Verano says, the exercise is not as important as ditching the carbs and you might not even be able to face exercise. You might go through what is known as carb flu while the body is getting used to the new diet. Feeling listless and flu like. Lots and lots to learn. Keep reading the book, you might soon be ready to stock up on all the great foods you will be able to eat instead of carbs. Dont be afraid of fats but only the good stuff like olive oil, rapeseed oil, avocados, full fat yoghurt, full fat cheese (in moderation within calorie allowance), a few nuts and so on. Also, cholesterol-wise dont be afraid of eggs, they are a great source of protein and the cholesterol stories have been ditched as untrue. Wish someone would tell my doctor that.

As a fellow (female) diabetic I look forward to following you on your journey and hope to keep hearing from you.

on

Thanks Sunshine_Girl, will follow your advice. Thanks for your posts.

on

hi again nomoresugar. I have just bumped my blog up to the top of the threads. This was written 6 years ago when I first went on the BSD and how I got on. Even if you only read about my first few weeks it will give you an insight as to how I was feeling, the fear and so on and you might be able to relate to it and possibly give you some hope of overturning your diagnosis.

Today I have reached my lowest weight every since starting on insulin (the fat magnet) and I have reduced my insuln to the lowest amount I can possibly take before I stop completely. Maybe I should add to my blog about how frightening that is for me.

Good luck and do keep on keeping on…

• posted by NanaJojo4
    on

Thank you Sunshine Girl for this very informative advice. I too am on my 3rd week now and i am loving it. I’ve had the heavy headaches, still do but not as often or as long, and i feel like my weight isn’t going down but i realise there are things going on internally because I can feel it. All good and heading in the right direction.

on

HI NanaJojo4, you have picked the right diet. It is not easy but, for me, the main thing to attack the diabetes is the low carb rather than low calorie or weight loss. Both would be nice and I am 2 stone lighter than when I started. Just maintaining the weight right now before I go back onto the strict 8 week BSD plan on Monday. Hoping to get rid of another stone.

Please log in or register to post a reply.