New to BSD – Advice please

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Earth-mum
    on

I’m really new to the BSD – started it on Saturday when my book arrived! I’ve not followed a recipe yet as I’m still reading through the book – almost there! However, I am watching the food I’m consuming by following Dr Moseley’s guidelines for a Mediterranean style diet. I’m eating a good amount of veg, some fish, quorn, salads, nuts, etc – everything he says to eat, and I’m sticking to around 800/850 cals a day, weighing everything – I haven’t eaten bread, pasta, rice or anything processed. What I haven’t done, however, is count my carbs. I’ve been reading some posts and I’m thinking maybe I need to count the carbs as well as the calories….
    I have also had some snacks during the day, ie a salad or a small handful (25g) of mixed nuts or a pear or apple.
    I’m also eating a breakfast, lunch and a dinner.
    Should I snack and should I be eating 3 meals a day? Even if my calorie total is just under or over 800 per day, is carb counting that important?
    I’m not feeling grumpy (yet!), nor particularly hungry (good!) but I haven’t lost any inches and just lost 1lb in (water) weight. So, good people, have I been doing anything wrong?!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I never counted carbs, just stuck to the 800 cals. In the early days it worked well for me, reducing my weight and my Blood Glucose readings. I tried counting carbs but found it was just by the fact I dont eat starchy carbs that I am usually around 50 or 60 grams anyway. At one time I tried to get to 30 grams but found it just too restrictive. The fact you have stopped the starchy carbs and doing 800 cals should be good enough. Maybe when weight loss starts to slow down you can start checking on how many carbs you are having and adjust to help continue with a loss. After 9 months I am still losing weight but slowly and my Blood Glucose is within normal limits and I still dont count carbs.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Everyone is different and you will soon find out whether you are happiest with two meals or three, eating early or later, just experiment a bit and take note of when it becomes difficult due to hunger on one pattern or another. I actually ended up happiest on one small meal at lunchtime and a full size evening meal, with just fluids in the morning on 800 calories, I still tend to use this pattern on my fast days now i am maintaining. With regards to counting carbs it is entirely up to you. The accepted level at which most people are in ketosis is 50g of carbs, but I seemed to have no problem even when my carbs were higher than that with burning fat. Some people though find they lose really slowly or sometimes not at all unless they drop the carbs to 20-30g. Snacking always made me feel hungry so I just don’t on 800 calorie days.

Please log in or register to post a reply.