New to all of this and have a question about the fast 800 or the original 5:2

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by kjh35
    on

Hi there,
    I’m new here and after some advice! Had heard of the 5:2 diet for years but never really paid attention to it. Now at my heaviest I’ve been in ages and feeling pretty awful about myself, I realised I had to do something. So after watching Michael Mosley’s original tv show about it, I started researching and was so interesting and really wanted to give it a go!

Am now a week and a half into 5:2 where I eat normally for 5 days (without going crazy) and then 500 calories for fast days. Managing ok on fast days and can see it getting easier, so feeling ok about it all. However, after reading more about it – I’m wondering if I’m better off doing the fast 800 with the initial rapid loss step?
    What do people generally prefer or have more success with over time?
    Thank you! 🙂

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi kjh, it rather depends on how much you have to lose and how quickly you want to lose it. People on here generally see the 5:2 as a maintenance plan after doing the BSD or the Fast 800. If you dont have a lot to lose and just want to take it steady the 5:2 is a good diet as long as you follow the healthy eating principles on the 5 days. Also, do you have any medical conditions that might make either diet better for you. If you look in the FAQ (I think) there is a section on who shouldnt do this diet. However, you have been managing the 2 days of very low calories so might feel you can cope with 800 on all days. We all do it.

• posted by kjh35
    on

Thanks for your reply! I have about 10kg to lose, which isn’t huge but still significant enough.
    I think I will try the fast 800, will give myself a 2 week goal and if I’m finding it tough I will go back to 5:2. Have got a 800 recipe book and very encouraging, the recipes look delicious!

• posted by LeighC
    on

Hi kjh,
    Week 2 here. I’ve settled on 4 to 5 x 800cal days per week and eating normally 2 days per week.
    I’m also eating within a 10 to 12hr time restricted window and counting calories in my fitness pal.
    I lost 3lbs (including initial water loss no doubt) in the first week and have about 10kg to lose also.
    I didn’t lose anything much on the 5:2 as it didn’t impact on my bad habits. I hope you find what works for you and good luck.
    Leigh

Please log in or register to post a reply.