New Starter after an "acceptable" food list

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by WoodyR
    on

Hi,
    I am currently reading through the books trying to get my head round everything and am cutting down on sugar as we “speak”. I am luckily not pre-diabetic or diabetic, but I need to lose a lot of weight, this seems to be a great way of doing it. Does anyone know if there is a comprehensive list of do’s and don’ts to eat, which can be easily printed out ? It would be good to have one on the website !!! Also – is no added sugar squash ok to have ? Thanks

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi WoodyR
    Welcome to the BSD forum – more the merrier! Lots of us are like you, no diabetes but needing to shift the pounds. I’m not aware of any comprehensive food list I’m afraid. no-added sugar squash is okay as long as it is well diluted and you account for it in your daily calorie allowance. If you are going to track your carb intake, account for it there as well. Good hydration is also really important, so make sure to drink plenty, but I would say not too much squash – try fruit teas without sugar instead, as these are completely calorie free, or perhaps sparkling water with a squeeze of lemon or lime.

Getting your head around the do’s and don’ts food-wise is challenging to start with, but if you try to avoid processed foods and anything with sugar; starchy foods such as root veggies, rice of any type, pasta, bread etc, this is a good start. Fats are our friend on the BSD, so full fat yogurt, olive oil, nuts etc are great – they help to make you feel full quicker and for longer and help to kick start the fat burning process. Remember lots of low fat products have added sugar to give flavour, so they are a no-no.

Good luck on seeing some great results soon – keep us posted and shout if you need advise or support and one of the lovely folks on here is bound to respond.

Please log in or register to post a reply.