New start tomorrow

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Fatboy_slim
    on

Hi guys,

I’m starting the blood sugar diet tomorrow. I’m quite nervous about it for some reason – perhaps the thought of only 800kcals, when I prob have that in a meal at least at the moment.

Any tips or advice??

Thanks,
    Nick

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Nick, yes I remember that feeling. It is part excitement and part anticipation. Yes it is tough at first but you will soon get used to 800 cals.

Planning is very important, menus and shopping. 800 cals is very difficult to keep at and you add a little something (like me with half an avocado yesterday) and find yourself well over. So plan it out. If you have one of the books (BSD or Fast 800) you will find sample menus which it is a good idea to follow for the first couple of weeks.

Dont plan on doing too much exercise, you wont have the stamina for a couple of weeks. Some walking or swimming but dont be too tough on yourself. The food is more important than the exercise for actually losing weight. Also don’t think about increasing calories because you have done some exercise – you don’t get as much benefit as you think. You have to walk 3.5 miles to burn off a digestive biscuit and that is only 75 calories.

Drink plenty of water – around 2 or 3 litres daily. If you find you get weak or dizzy add a little salt to the plan, just a touch. You can get electrolyte replacements but you dont actually need them if you are eating a good range of foods plus the salt.

Keep away from root vegetable carbs and any processed foods, hope you can cook. No wheat or pasta or rice or breakfast cereals. If you check on the diet doctor (www.thedietdoctor.com) and do a / carbs you will find a list showing the carb values and which are the best veg to eat.

You dont mention health problems so I guess you are doing this for weight loss. Let us know if there are any problems as it could change the advice. Tell us more about yourself when you are ready.

There are lots of other things you will want to know but you can ask questions as you go. Why not join our weekly thread called Making May Matter one week at a time and you can ask questions knowing you always have someone looking at it. Sometimes one off posts can get lost.

I did a thread called 5 years of BSD – A Blog of Memories. If you check it out and read the first few days of my experience you will see how terrified I was and you will know you are not alone.
    Good luck

• posted by Fatboy_slim
    on

Hi Sunshine-girl,
    Thanks for your response and apologies it’s taken me a while to get around to replying.
    That all sounds like sensible advice – thank you.
    I’m pre-diabetic and have a few other health issues which are a motivator for weight loss as well as reversing the pre-diabetes.
    I weight myself this morning and have come down 11lbs since my starting weight on Saturday morning. Doesn’t seem quite believable!!!!
    Thanks,
    Nick

on

I bet you wont be pre-diabetic for long 🙂

• posted by nacnudsmada
    on

Hows your first week been Nick ?
    Just finished mine!

on

Hi nucnudsmada, I see you have found this thread and hope the advice given is helpful for you. I have just answered your question about 1kg, headaches etc but you can see from this it is common and the same advice applies.

However, just don’t compare your weight loss to that of fatboy especially if you are female as men lose weight very easily at first. Also, feel free to join us on the weekly thread, currently called Judicious June with a date of the last Tuesday.

Nick, hope you are having another good week.

Please log in or register to post a reply.