New here

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by 53jimc
    on

Just starting with this. I am a foodaholic so will definitely need help.
    I’m Jim, 63 yo, been on low carb about a week now, at 228lbs from 236, but FBG is still in 130 range.
    Need to do the initial 800c to get BG down.
    Hunger is my problem.

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hi Jim,
    It’s daunting starting out on something that will bring about major changes in your life. The early days can be the hardest (weeks 2-3 seem to be hardest – just read other people’s posts) but stick with it. Drink plenty of water – dehydration can fool you into thinking you need food. Plan your meals. Stick with the foodstuffs recommended. A lot of people have been very diligent and counted calories & carbs (I haven’t but I still saw weight loss).

If you do ever feel you are hitting a brick wall and the weight’s not coming off, think about whether you are feeling better, are clothes feeling a bit looser? Our bodies react in different ways, sometimes slower than we would like, but persevere. There are plenty of people on this forum who are more than willing to pass on the benefit of their experience.

Above all, this is a very flexible regime so you can adapt it to what suits you best.
    Best wishes!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Jim as a motivator you should see results in your blood glucose within a few days and in 2 weeks should be well on the way to being within a near normal range. I’m not sure what 130 is – is that 7.2 which is quite good anyway or is that the scale of 10 so 130 is 13. All these different measurements can be confusing. Mine was 190 (10.5) and by day 5 135 and 2 weeks later 105 and now between 75 and 110 (4.1 and 5.8).

Another way to judge how you are doing is to measure yourself before. you should lose quite a bit from your waist in the first 2 weeks, showing a change to your belly fat. If you hit a plateau around week 2 or 3, that is normal. Your body needs time to readjust and the loss will come back. This is not the time to give up.

Good luck and keep on keeping on.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Good luck, Jim! 🙂

Great idea of RozyDozy’s to read threads here. Use the Search box top right to find both subjects and people.

Can I recommend Bill1954’s This Has to Work for Me and Lucia’s My Eight Weeks. One is someone who felt he had to do something to get his life back in order – and did! And Lucia is totally inspirational with starting with very small things but eventually making a huge difference.

Very best of luck to you and keep using this forum for support and accountability. Most people seem to find it helps 🙂

• posted by 53jimc
    on

Thanks for the responses.
    Sorry, I should have given a UOM for the BG. 130 is mg/dl. Hoping to get it down to 100 or less. Highs 2 hours after a meal have been as high as 219, even on low carb. I must be sneaking carbs in somehow.
    This morning FBG is 134. I’m preparing for the diet, will keep you all posted.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Jim! Welcome to the forums and the BSD! I struggled with hunger through my many weeks (did about 24 weeks, now maintenance) — some weeks were better than others but it was a definite issue for me. I think it is really important to keep your carbohydrate intake very low if you are prone to hunger — I seemed best on about 20-30 grams of carbs per day — pretty much cut out all breads, root vegetables, sugars, most fruit, grains etc. Fill up on leafy greens, spinach, chard, all vegetables except corn, peas, potatoes — eat full fat yogurt, cheese, meats. As you go along and find your hunger is in control you can add back in healthy carbs like small servings of beans and a few fruits. If your hunger grows, cut back again — I had to experiment to find my own functional carb intake level that would control hunger (I am probably high insulin). The rule of thumb is “carbohydrate-drives-insulin-drives-fat”. I would also say “carb drives insulin drives appetite drives fat”. I always recommend Gary Taubes book “Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It” as the best primer on carbohydrate and fat — it is research out of Duke University in the U.S. Good luck on your journey! This diet works brilliantly for us “always hungry” types — for the first time ever in my life I can control my eating. It has been a revelation and a huge relief.

Please log in or register to post a reply.