Neutrophil

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Running man
    on

I have been told by my doctor that I have a low Neutrophil count after 3 weeks on 800 calories diet is this part of how the diet works. I have tried to find reference in the book but haven’t found any. Any one else had this?

• posted by Pancita
    on

Neutropenia is not normally related to diet. Many causes, but in my (limited!) experience not diet. Did you ask your doctor to arrange further tests? In the meantime, keep yourself away from anyone with an infection.
    Best wishes.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

I have Neutorpenia at the moment too (low neutrophils and low White blood cell count). It’s also happened to me before, when having chemo and also 4 years ago, when I wasn’t on any diet at all. I know that mine is caused by the medication I’m on for a chronic illness, but you can have it with no apparent cause. Perhaps ask for another blood test in a few weeks? And if it is still low then ask your doctor for more information.
    In regard to diet, there are foods I try to avoid. Having a low neutrophil count makes you more prone to bacterial infections, so I avoid things like soft serve ice cream (which is not a BSD food anyway!), salads, cold chicken (unless I’ve prepared them myself); and make sure you reheat leftovers properly.
    Also if you do notice any signs of infection (fever, sore throat etc) then seek medical attention as soon as possible, as you may need antibiotics (because you’ll have less ability to fight the infection without neutrophils).
    I’ve done a lot of research online but haven’t been able to find any link between diet and neutrophil count (unlike the link between diet and red blood cell/iron count for example).

• posted by EC
    on

HI Running man.
    Prof Valter Longo mentions in his book “The Longevity Diet” that fasting can bring on a temporary state of neutropaenia which then resolves when refeeding via stem cell dependent production of new cells…thus creating a rejuvenating effect….so maybe you’re eating sufficiently low calorie for you body to think that its fasting….but you wouldn’t want a low WBC count for too long….so yes, retesting is important as it can be a factor of some illnesses

• posted by AnnieW
    on

Hi Runningman. Just a thought but when you had your blood tests was it after recent exercise? I see you like distance running, and whilst this can be a good thing for overall blood count, it can lead to reduced numbers initially after a long run and they then increase/return to normal later (sorry don’t know how log the process takes). I agree with Sue and EC that you need more information, one blood test can raise the question but a confirmation test would be a better to see if there is a need for investigation. I would keep a note on your food, exercise and health feeling so you an your Dr have something to work on for the next set of numbers.

• posted by Running man
    on

Thank you for your reply”s
    I have been retested today so just waiting for my results.
    My doctor is not very supportive of my being on this diet or in his words fad diet which just makes money for the writer.
    I have stop my long distance run at the start of the diet just to help as I have a very manual job. Just doing 3-4 miles a day of walking.

I have made some great progress on this diet losing just over a stone in 4 weeks and a inch and half off my mesment and more important is my daily readings are down in the 4’s which is great for me

• posted by britgirl68
    on

Hi Did you get any apdate on your low Neutrophil count?

Please log in or register to post a reply.