Need some help have type 2 diabetes and epelepsy

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by cll9090
    on

Hello all,

I have just registered on here, and I just want to hear some opinions. I’ve got type 2 diabetes and epilepsy and I need to loose about 12 kilos to come to my correct weight. I have read in books that one should not take this diet and fasting with epilepsy and my doctor did not recommend me to do so as well. I feel a little frustrated, has anyone taken this anyway or do you have some other useful tips? I am visually impaired as well. Thanks a lot for any help!

• posted by Britta
    on

Hi cll9090
    I don’t know anything about epilepsy so really do not want to answer that specific question. More generally “fasting” can mean a lot of things, so it is probably worth clarifying this with your doctor. I follow this diet without ever skipping a meal and that is absolutely doable. Other people fast for long periods of time or skip meals regularly. I can’t quite work out if your doctor specifically told you not to do this diet, but if she did, then it seems a bit risky for 12 kg (which in comparison to what a lot of people on here need to lose really isn’t much). People on this forum have a lot of experience of being on this diet, but no-one (that I know of) is medically trained, let alone experts in neurology and this seems like a question you need to talk to a health expert about?

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Cll9090, welcome. Seems to me you need to further discuss your options with your doctor, as the posters here are not qualified to offer medical advice.

I would think that maybe adapting your approach might be an option, so more calories, but paying attention to limiting your carb intake. I can’t imagine there could be any negative medical result from stepping away from what we call ‘white’ carbs here …. potato, pasta, rice, anything cereal based, bread, cake, biscuits, anything sugary, etc. Perhaps look to using the Mediterranean diet as your model would be the safest option.

Whatever route you decide to take, I wish you every success.

Please log in or register to post a reply.