My intro and progress after seven weeks

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by John 212
    on

Hello everyone. Here’s my brief intro and progress report. I’m male, 53 years old. For decades I believed the high-carbohydrate/low-fat official advice, which has now turned out to be rubbish. Oh dear.

For decades I ate more carbs and sweet things than was good for me, really without a thought of what was healthy or not. Luckily, I come from genetic stock which does not seem to develop diabetes – no one in my immediate or extended family has it. I don’t have it either, and my general health is good.

Having said that, I did not wish to be complacent. So when I noticed my waist measurement had gone up to 40.5 inches recently, I decided to do the low-carb thing for the first time.

Now I eat no processed food at all. A new personal guideline is never to believe anything processed food companies say. They are no more trustworthy than Big Tobacco.

I have been following this new eating style for seven weeks now. I only eat one meal a day, in the morning. Sometimes I may have a snack in the evening of a few sunflower seeds or a handful of raw peanuts.

I don’t eat meat or fish. Mostly I like to eat boiled eggs, avocados, boiled chickpeas and assorted vegetables, especially tomatoes. Also any fruits which are in season.

A friend makes yoghurt at home and I get that from her regularly. It’s full-fat, and I often drop in a handful of raw peanuts for crunch. Great stuff!

I never count calories or use any weightloss apps. I just eat what is healthy, and don’t stuff myself. For me, the key is time control and portion control. It’s hard to overeat when you only eat one meal.

I drink only plain water. I am a lifelong teetotaler, so alcohol is not a factor for me.

For exercise, I do a walk-run five days a week, and skip rope for thirty minutes six days a week. Skipping is a big calorie burner, and I can recommend it. I also do some bodyweight exercises and stretching.

I don’t pay any attention to my actual weight. In fact, I don’t even have a pair of scales. I focus on one thing only – waist size, measured at the belly button. That is the only measurement needed. If that measurement is heading down, everything else is going right.

So in seven weeks, what has happened? My waist size has gone down from 40.5 inches to 34 inches. My target is 32 inches, but I expect I will eventually drop an inch or so below that as well.

I found that my waist size dropped exactly half an inch a week, on average. That seems to be my personal tolerance for weight loss.

So I am finding this low-carb weight-loss thing relatively easy, to be honest. I just aim to continue for a few more weeks and then maintain it.

So to anyone reading this who is overweight and whose diet is poor, I would say, just start to change and then continue. That’s all there is to it. If you have the motivation and determination, it can be done.

• posted by John 212
    on

Oops, I meant to say that my weekly waist size dropped by nearly an inch a week. Not half an inch, as I put in my post.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

John212 … brilliant results and a great inspiring post. Congratulations on finding your own way of making low carb work with your life style and body, to give your the result you desired. I’m sure you will soon be at target and successfully maintaining.

• posted by John 212
    on

Hello Sunny, thanks for your kind reply.

Knowledge is important too. Before starting my new diet I read a lot of books on diet and nutrition and the processed food industry.

Here are a few of my favourite books:

Pure, White and Deadly. John Yudkin.
    A prophetic work on the health dangers of sugar. Yudkin is an authentic British hero. Derided for years by the low-fat zealots, he has now been rehabilitated.

Fat Chance, by Robert Lustig. Lustig explains the new understanding of the metabolic processes involved in food digestion, in which a calorie is no longer just a calorie.

Salt, Sugar, Fat, by Michael Moss. An eye-opening look at the processed food industry and how it hooks us into unhealthy eating patterns.

My stance towards processed food companies now takes the following form: MY BODY IS NOT A RUBBISH DUMP FOR YOUR JUNK.

We have to face the fact that the food industry does not care about our health at all. Its members have no other objective than flogging us their products to maximise their profits.

Gary Taubes: The Diet Delusion, Why We Get Fat, The Case against Sugar.

In these three books, Taubes makes the case for carbohydrates, and in particular sugar, being at the heart of our health and obesity problems.

Michael Pollan: The Omnivore’s Dilemma, Cooked, Food Rules, etc.

Although Pollan is not advocating a particular diet, he is a very accomplished writer who writes about food with great style and insight.

As for websites, there are two health and fitness sites I regularly use. They each have many, many articles on fitness, nutrition, diets, weight loss, etc. I can highly recommend them both.

1. https://www.verywellfit.com
    2. https://www.livestrong.com

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi John212, Very many congratulations on your results and turning round your eating habits. Taubes is a favourite of mine too. I hadn’t read his Scientific American article before. I see it is from 2013, so presumably there should be some results out there somewhere! You might like to check out the thread “Have a look at this”, where forum members have posted other reading/ blogs that they have found interesting and helpful. Happy browsing!

• posted by John 212
    on

Thanks caronl for the tip. I searched for the thread and bookmarked it. 👍

Please log in or register to post a reply.