My halo has slipped

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Way of life
    on

Hi.
    My halo well and truly slipped today.

Had been doing so well for 9 days.

Any tips on getting back in the straight and narrow would be appreciated. Very annoyed.

Thanks

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

You’re human, it happens. Simply put the day behind you and carry on, nothing is broken or spoilt. Treat the week as a 6:1 with 6 good days and one relaxed day, and just concentrate on keeping on keeping on. The wagon doesn’t move very fast so it is easy to hop back on.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Good morning Way of Life! I hope today has been better for you — as Mixnmatch noted, this wagon is easy to jump back aboard! Even if it’s been imperfect, any day mentally working toward this way of eating will ultimately pay off in a different mind-set — so even half-way days are good! It took me four months to internalize the behaviors (I must be a dull learner 😜) but they are practically automatic now. So don’t give up!!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Don’t be disheartened, we all slip up at some point. The secret is not to allow it to completely derail you – the, ‘I’ve messed up, so what’s the point!’ thought pattern is dangerous. Try to forgive yourself and just refocus on your goal and how you are going to achieve it. Get straight back to the BSD and you might even find that your transgression doesn’t really impact on your results.

Keep going and let us all know how you get on.

• posted by Way of life
    on

Needed to hear all of that. Thanks for your time. Has helped immensely. My partner has been kind too and I cast my mind back to a book I read once by the SUMO (shut up and move on) guy.
    I hooked it out and re read the 7 points to think about when faced with a challenge. I am finding the BSD a challenge at the moment.

Most of the following have refocused my mind and after 36 hours of eating carbs again am back on track.

1. Where is this issue on a scale of 1-10 (where 10 is death)?
    2. How important will this be in six months’ time?
    3. Is my response appropriate and effective?
    4. How can I influence or improve the situation?
    5. What can I learn from this?
    6. What will I do differently next time?
    7. What can I find that’s positive in this situation?

I feel good at the moment.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Great that you are taking control again and being so positive. Really like the 7 points – sure they could be useful to many of us and I for one, will be making a note of them. Stay strong and keep going. Chances are, you might not notice any issue when you weigh-in at the end of your week. Good Luck!

• posted by LizV
    on

In the book on pages 158 & 159, there is a great piece on this and on how important positive self talk is to staying on board. A study was done in which two groups of dieters were given a piece of cake. Afterwards, one group was told the cake had a large number of calories (enough to completely blow their diet) and the other group was told it had a moderate amount. The first group later went on to really go off the diet, and while the second group also went over a little, they ate much less.

I’ve been reminding myself of that on days when I go over and telling myself I’m doing a great job, I’m eating more nutritiously than I ever have, etc. I’m still losing weight and inches, even though I occasionally have a day over 1,000 calories. Good luck!

• posted by Way of life
    on

Thanks LizV

Very interesting, have just re-read those pages.

I’m chuffed that I’ve jumped straight back on given that I binged for 30 hours.

I’ve been trying to think of the positives that have come from this instead of beating myself up.
    I had been feeling so energised whilst following the BSD – after the carb fest I felt utterly dreadful, not just guilty, but ill. I have to see this as a good thing now as I DO NOT want to feel like that again.

Thanks for your thoughts and good luck to you too.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Well done on getting right back to it after the blip WOL. Know what you mean about a carb overload making one feel ill. Did that to myself at the beginning of our first holiday, when I had been on the BSD for 7wks. I think it was a valuable lessons learnt the hard way though, as it certainly encouraged me to evaluate what I consumed going forward.

I’ve been struggling to keep under the 800 this week – not sure why exactly. Not had any days drastically over, but a little annoyed not to have kept tighter control – that said, I have been keeping carbs well under the 50g mark, so hopefully there shouldn’t be a problem come my end of week weigh-in on Monday. Tracking so far this week, I am down by a pound – just hope that is the case when I do the final weight check for the week.

Good luck – keep going and let us know hoe things go.

• posted by Way of life
    on

Thanks sunnyB

Clearly I’m not alone. Maybe I’m normal after all!
    I’m a huge binger though and am hoping the BSD will also help with this ‘little’ problem.

Hope your weigh in on Monday is positive 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.