My fitness pal % breakdown and recommended grams for Carbs, Fats & Protein?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by 123ALB
    on

Hi All, I have been on the diet for 6wks doing pretty well so far, things have stalled a little and I am trying to re-focus. I use my fitness pal to track my calories and nutrients, however, I would like finite percentages to work to for Carbs, Protein & Fats per day . I have searched the site and the book for this information and can’t find the info anywhere.
    These are my settings at the moment ( which I have guessed at)
    Calories 800
    Carbohydrates 80 g 40 %
    Fat 27 g 30 %
    Protein 60 g 30 %
    Can anyone confirm if this is in keeping with the BSD guidelines or not and if I need to adjust any…..which could be the tweak I need to kick start weight loss again.
    Thanks for any help.

• posted by FoFi
    on

I don’t know, but I would reduce carbs, increase fats and possible slightly reduce protein. There is a thread on here which discusses this.

• posted by 123ALB
    on

Thank for your reply ……..I have already altered these from the default settings ( on fitness pal) on just my own estimations from the info I have managed to get from various sources …..but instead of my guesstimations I would like a finite amount to work to…….is that info on a thread that you have seen previously please?

• posted by FoFi
    on

It is only other people’s guesses.

You could enter several days of recipes from the book and look at the average if you need to know. The problem is that low GI carbs are okay but other carbs not so good so I don’t think you will find a hard rule.

• posted by 123ALB
    on

Ah I see what you mean ………..I will try your suggestion thanks that’s helpful………it’s really frustrating to not be able to find even a suggested guideline though . I mean it does not have to be set in stone but a try and stick to these amounts would be helpful if it was stated in the book (which I have read from cover to cover to try and find out grrrrrr!!!!)

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi,
    I suggest you look at the thread ‘How many carbs’ and ‘losing belly fat’ where there is more background.
    I think is really depends on the individual (male/female/activity levels/overweight or not). I have been on the diet 4.5 weeks and for the first 4 was concentrating of the 800 cals per day. I then saw a few threads where people were saying that if you get stuck on weight loss, you may need to lower the carbs. I was not stuck, but it was a step change, eg no weight loss two days, then a drop of a kg. I looked at my daily percentages and they varied a lot day by day. Like you I went looking how ‘how much is recommended’ so I had the right proportions.
    I thought I had seen 30% carbs in book (ie 60 grams carb per day) and there was a thread (How many carbs) that has this advice (with thanks to janet1973):
    100-150 grams per day: This is a decent maintenance range, and is good for people who exercise a lot.
    50-100 grams per day: This should lead to automatic weight loss, and is a good maintenance range for people who don’t exercise that much.
    20-50 grams per day: With a carb intake this low, you should lose weight quickly without experiencing much hunger. This carb range should put you into ketosis.
    I decided to set my target as 60 grams as I did not intend to go into ketosis. I was not as worried about protein and fat so was happy if they were 35% each. I started to make changes last week and have steadily lost weight over the week day by day – an improvement on the step changes of before.
    However! What I have seen this week is a lot of water loss, and headaches. Accidentally (I entered something into my calculator incorrectly) I only had 25% carbs yesterday and I had cramps through the night!
    I may well be that the 60 grams for me is too low and that my ketonic boundary and I am sitting on it, confusing my body (see losing belly fat threads from pmshrink).
    I have just found a website that suggests the following (inactive-active);
    45-65% Carbs
    10-35% Protein
    20-35% Fat.

This last week I was averaging 30%:35%:35%.
    I am going to up the carbs to 70 grams to avoid the cramps etc. and will see how that goes. As I said to begin with, it will depend on your own makeup so I suggest you adjust a little each week and see what works best for you.
    Good luck!

• posted by 123ALB
    on

Fab ……..I don’t know why I didn’t ask earlier rather than get frustrated…….great info everyone thank you , anyone who feels they can add anything further please do so, I am learning a great deal , thanks all.

Please log in or register to post a reply.