My Big Restart

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Just do it
    on

Hi again everyone. I’ve been on the BSD for 16 days now and have come to the conclusion I’m somehow getting it wrong. After 9 days I’d lost 4lbs, since then I’ve gained 2lbs and only today got back to that lowest weight. I use myfitnesspal, don’t exceed 800 cals, keep carbs under 40g (often only 20 – 30g) and an minimum of 50% of my intake, protein around 30% and carbs always lowest percentage. Haven’t touched sugar or simple carbs, just a bit of swede mash and parsnip one day. Typical meals are feta, lettuce, peppers & olives / fritata with rocket / salmon with spinach / ff Greek yogurt with strawberries & Brazil’s. I drink 3 litres a day, just a decaf with splash of milk (cals counted) occassionally, mainly water and herbal tea. I know this might be just a plateau but don’t want to risk it being that I’m actually doing it wrong by making my own menu.
    So from today I’m going to follow MM’s recipes to the letter and see how I get on. This way I’m sure I’m not making any errors. I will post here regularly to kerp myself focused, weigh daily and measure weekly.
    Sorry for the long post and I know it sounds like I’m winging – wingeing? – but I’m really not. Apart from the erratic weight loss/gain I love the diet. I feel great and much slimer than the 4lbs loss accouns for, have lost an inch each from bust, waist and neck. My asthma is non existent – (have reduced related meds) , osteoarthritic knee is least swollen ever and have more energy and last but not least I found this forum full of lovely people which I adore reading! I lost a stone on MM’s 5:2 plan earlier this year and hope to lose 2 stone on this one. I know I can do it! Here goes, restarting, book in hand, week menu planned, weight 10st 12.4 and going DOWN!

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi justdoit,
    You aren’t doing anything wrong!!! You’ve lost a total of 3 inches so obviously you are on the right track. You’ve also improved your asthma and arthritis. These are real, measurable, outcomes for you and proof that things are heading in the right direction. So well done. ๐Ÿ™‚
    Your cal/ carb intake is great. You’ve just hit what I call the week 2 blues. So many people post no weight loss, or a gain, around week 2 or 3. Not sure why this happens but obviously some readjustment happening with your metabolism around this time.
    Keep going, don’t get discouraged. Make sure you keep your fluids up around the 2-3 litre a day you’re currently having, and I’m sure you’ll be posting a good loss this time next week.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi justdoit

I’d say that perhaps because you had already lost weight – a big chunk – this year, you kind of missed out on the initial big weight loss that many people experience on a new diet. So it seemed like something was wrong for you. But it wasn’t wrong, you just hit a plateau that many people hit after a few weeks. Sticking to the menu plans is entirely up to you but I haven’t used any of them myself. My own weight loss has been modest compared to others but massive compared to myself and my previous efforts. You are already keeping your carbs low, don’t skimp on the fats though as they really do help. Sometimes we do just need a bit of renewed zest to get us going again and it sounds like you’ve got. Looking forward to hearing about your successes. All the best.

• posted by Just do it
    on

Amendment to my original post – fats are minimum of 50% of my daily intake, not carbs – duuurrrh!

• posted by Just do it
    on

Hi Cherrianne & Janet1973, thanks so much for your replies and encouragement. You are absolutely right, great points re previous weight loss and benefits already realised, and I’m certainly not letting it put me off, I’m even more determined than ever to do well on this plan – just thought I must be going wrong when I read of people who’ve averaged a pound a day loss when I’ve only managed 4 in 16 days.

• posted by Patsy
    on

Just do it, sounds as though you’re really benefitting from the diet, even if you’ve not lost very much weight. From what I’ve been reading it’s those who have a lot to lose and/or haven’t been dieting recently who see the biggest losses. You should still lose weight, but maybe not so dramatically.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Of course its great when people lose large amounts of weight but there are also plenty of us like you and me who are getting around a pound or two a week.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Just Do It – I’m in week 6 now and my weight lose has been erratic and just a pound or so a week. Just hold on to the fact that every pound lost is a pound in the right direction and try not to compare yourself to those losing many pounds a week. As Patsy says, those people probably have more weight to shift than you do. Stick with the diet and you too will see results to be proud of.

If you are really concerned about your rate of lose, do a quick check on the amount you are drinking, that you have enough fat in your diet and that your carb intake isn’t to high. Assuming all this is fine, just stick with it and keep us posted on your progress. And remember, your success is your success and you should be proud of it.

• posted by NewLife
    on

Hi Just Do It, I’m another whose weight loss has slowed – I’m not stopping this anytime soon though! I’m eating more healthily than I have in years and that’s got to be good for my body, regardless of any other considerations. And I rarely feel hungry – I used to be hungry 24/7 and losing that addiction is awesome too.

Keep on keeping on ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Spirit
    on

Hello Just Do It,

I agree with the others, I’m another one whose loss was slower than many on here and lots of occasions when it stalled completely.

It’s a really good sign that the inches are coming off for you. Remember too that MM says the the visceral fat goes first – hence the inch loss, so maybe stay off the scales for a few days or so.

• posted by Just do it
    on

Hi Patsy, NewLife, SunnyB, Spirit and Janet, thanks so much for the encouragement, you’re absolutely right, small losses are still a step in the right direction and we just have to endure the plateaus knowing what we’re eating is doing us the world of good. I will take your advice and not weigh every day, hope for a good result soon. I started on MMs recipes yesterday and OMG they are delicious! Will certainly stick with them. Really recommend the beetroot falafels.

• posted by Just do it
    on

In week three now and found during last 3 days that hunger has disappeared! Find I’m quite happy with 2 meals a day, didn’t have the dinner I’d planned yesterday. Long may it last! Also just realised I haven’t craved chocolate or crisps once since starting the BSD – truly amazing ๐Ÿ™‚
    Heard rewards mentioned a few times, great idea. When I get over this plateau and lose my first half stone I will start yoga regularly. Had to stop going as there’s a lot of kneeling down which is a problem with osteoarthritis but my knee is so much better since BSD so will try again – can’t wait!

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Justdoit
    A lot of us go through these sort of difficulties.
    You could have a look at Jenny Ruhls book ‘low carb problems solved’ (ยฃ3 on kindle) which I’ve found helpful.
    Best of luck
    Penny

• posted by Just do it
    on

Thanks Pmshrink I keep seeing that book mentioned so will get a copy, sounds interesting.

• posted by Just do it
    on

Plateau over ! Delighted to say that after stalling in week 2 I have dropped 3lbs in the last three days, what a relief. I shook things up a bit by doing some of MM’s book recipes which I’ve absolutely loved. They include beans and pulses which I hadn’t been having so maybe that got things moving. So stick with it all those on a plateau, it really does come right with a bang.

• posted by NewLife
    on

Great news ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Good to hear Just do it
    Let’s get you on a roll now and see those pounds melt away.

• posted by JackieMac
    on

Just do it, stick with it, you’ll have weeks with low or no loss. Depends on lots of things I guess. Two things that I need to remember are to drink plenty of water and do some exercise – even just a short walk to get metabolism going! Good luck… Jackie

• posted by JackieMac
    on

Oh and the 5:2 recipe book has lots of calorie counted meals to supplement the 8 week book!

Please log in or register to post a reply.