My 1st ParkRun

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Avila
    on

Having lost 2 stone on BSD and regular dog walking as my main exercise, I logged into to go on my first ParkRun this morning. 5km in laps around the town park. Alarm was set (I am not a morning person) and I drove there in good time. Not sure what to expect except that not expected as many people as turned up, and they looked fit, kitted out and lots wearing tops of running clubs and various 10k runs etc.

A few had dogs and some were running 5k pushing child in a buggy (one of which I saw finishing when the rest of us had another long lap to do, nothing like being lapped by someone with the extra weight to push, glad the buggy wheels were up to the speed though).

So feeling intimidated but determined…. off I set, I did walk some, I claim it was ‘power walking’ but ran for more than I expected. And came in with a time of 37 1/2 min. (I was 553rd….)

I then needed to visit 2 different Macmillan charity coffee mornings – I crumbled with 2 biscuits at the first; but went for the bacon without a butty at the second as my brunch/lunch.

Still have my dog to walk – didn’t want to take her on my first go in case it was too much for her (think it will be with the crowds) and then not having time to get her home before coffee mornings – she has weight to loose too and friendly church members with biscuits….

Feeling proud of myself, and impressed at what I can do when carrying 2 stone less baggage.

So will I go again? Yes, I will, though can’t do next week as working from early, but I CAN DO THIS!!!

http://www.parkrun.org.uk

• posted by Snoop
    on

I’ve been taking our dogs out on longer walks, and they’re benefiting too – a bit leaner and fitter. But what you’ve done is a big step up. Congratulations.

• posted by shalimar
    on

Great idea!!! Keep on truckin’.

It’s so nice for the dogs to help out by taking you out for a walk!!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Well done AVILA and doggie! I admire runners as i havent run for years..not even to catch a bus.. I do that funny half run half walk ..nice young fella made the bus wait for me the other day! He was prob thinking Help the poor fat old lady! ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„ x

• posted by Avila
    on

The muscles at the back of my calves complained the day after (sunday) and then again this (monday)morning. Rest of me still feeling great though.

Please log in or register to post a reply.