Monthly Battleground Plan

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by vcolq
    on

I have been low carb (but not calorie restricted) since Jan and lost 8kgs. I then began following the Fast 800 two weeks ago and have lost a further 2.5kgs – happy days ๐Ÿ™‚
    This week, for the first time, I have begun to feel hungry. It has coincided with ‘that time of the month’ and I know our bodies use between 100 and 300 calories more per day in the three days leading up. I have ended up eating a little more, but making sure it is something appropriate such as two scrambled eggs, rather the the bloody great tub of ice-cream and full packet of biscuits that I actually want!
    I was just wondering how anyone else is dealing with this monthly ritual. Are you going for resolve and battling through it undeterred or are you relenting and eating a little more?
    I also noticed, before I decided to relent and eat a little more, that I was no longer in ketosis. Does anyone know if this can be a side effect of hormones at this time? It’s so frustrating, losing weight is hard enough without a monthly battle with your own body!
    Thanks x

• posted by sianagrant
    on

Thanks for this post, I’ve wondered how time of the month could affect cravings, willpower, etc; I’ve yet to experience it yet but am grateful that I know to be a little extra prepared – take healthy snacks to work and such as I know I’ll be a sucker for those staff room treats at that time. My plan is to battle through, allow a few extra appropriate snacks (didn’t realise that our bodies need 100-300 additional calories at that time) and not beat myself up I fall off the wagon but pick myself up and get back on. The best laid plans……

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Perhaps look for foods with more B vitamins and iron in them? Rhubarb is a good source of vit C and iron. Almonds are good for iron

Pulses, beans, marmite and chillies for B vits.- so a nice dahl provides iron and B vits – serve with some fresh salad and perhaps a chickpea flat bread and you have a very good meal full of everything you need.

Your breakfasts could be full fat yoghurt with rhubarb for extra calcium, iron and vitamins to help you through that difficult few days ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by vcolq
    on

Thanks for the suggestions hashimoto ๐Ÿ™‚ I love a dahl and haven’t had one for ages!

I’m on the other side of this now, so my appetite has dropped away again and the cravings have completely gone. I think next month I am just going to plan for a slight increase in calories and allow myself a couple of squares of dark chocolate for each of the three evenings. If I know I can have it later, I think it will help.

Still no ketosis though ๐Ÿ™ Wonder how long that will take to return.

Please log in or register to post a reply.