metformin and blood sugar

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by bigeater
    on

Hi, just thought I would give an update. Before starting the BSD my fasting blood sugar level was 9.9 – with 4 x 500mg metformin daily. Now I have stopped metformin completely my fasting blood sugar level is 6.2. It was 5.5 while still taking one metformin but I am still happy with this result. I have been diabetic for close to five years. I still have a long way to go weight loss wise and I am hoping I will be back to 5.5 in the near future.

As an aside, Michael Mosley says not to eat salted nuts. He is right. I was going to the salted peanuts way too often. No more salted nuts for me. In fact I might have to steer clear of nuts in general for a while.

Every morning I swim in a freshwater lake filled with the most amazing clear water surrounded by rainforest. It is so serene and beautiful, it really makes my day. It is 1.5k across and back.

I still haven’t done enough walking though I’ve made small adjustments like walking further to the shops etc. I do find that after my swim, on 800 calories a day, I am pretty much exhausted. I haven’t found the diet has given me more energy, like many others, and will be increasing to 1000-1200 calories after my 8 weeks is up. Of course I will still have two 800 calorie days as I will be on the 5.2. This may slow my weightloss but that will be tempered by more energy to do things!

All the best to all following the diet. Keep it up. It is well worth it!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

hi there, that lake sound fabulous. So jealous (although I have my own pool). Salted nuts are not good for you because it is like giving you something healthy (nuts) and coating them in a poison (salt). Now, in moderation salt is good and is needed by the body, but you obviously know what else salted nuts do, they keep you going back for more. Try some almonds for a snack, you dont want to give up the good stuff but if you really cant say no, go without for a while. Nuts are so good for you for oils, measure out 8 or 10 and dont go back for more.

Please log in or register to post a reply.