Maintenance

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Haining25
    on

Just finished reading the book and will start on Monady, however a little confused on what my calorie intake should be be after the 8 weeks,can anyone help.

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Haining25 welcome

Re read p146 in BSD book. Also Google ncl type 2 diabetes. This is the original Newcastle uni 800 calorie diet to reverse type 2 Diabetes
    Read prof Roy Taylor’s Reply on frequent questions asked Read the lot & print out all you need. You need knowledge to succeed & really understand what you are doing.
    We’re here to help as much as we can. I don’t think any or many have done 8 weeks yet on this site. Could be wrong & they will post you.

Dr Michael Mosley says ‘ create a lifestyle you can stick to’. Prof Taylor says ‘ once you are at your personal target weight, the critical thing now is to become accustomed to eating approximately 2/3 of the total amount you used to eat’.

So exercise, eat better & really change what you did that got you to the place your at now
    Knowledge is power. Pass it on. We can do this. Great to have you on board
    Eureka

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi

Welcome to the group.

I finish the 8 weeks tomorrow night. I’d have no problem staying with the 800 calories a day (still got weight to lose), but Dr Mosley suggests (p146/147) doing 5:2. My thinking is I might try 2:5 rather than 5:2 – 800 calories a day Monday to Friday with low -carb Mediterranean at weekends. Trying not to be too rigid as I’ve a holiday in March and residential conference in April so need to work out what I’m going to do about them.

Lynne

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hey captainlynne, so, as the first to post that you’re approaching the end of 8 weeks, how has it worked for you ? BS and weight both down ?
    I really hope so.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Bill1954. Today is my last day of the 8 weeks and it has certainly worked for me. Fasting BG at start was 10.9, now usually in the 5s, with occasional 6 (yesterday it was 4.9!!!). Always struggled to get it under 7 previously so delighted with that 😃. Weight down 27 pounds so far, meaning I’ve lost about 12.5% of my starting body weight. BP down BMI down from 40.9 to 36.2. Down nearly 2 dress sizes. Began this journey on 19th December but managed to stick to it over Christmas and New Year. Was at a day conference, with lunch. Pre-booked the beef lunch but no dessert. Ate the beef, carrots and the few bits of leek I could find, hid the mashed potato under the Yorkshire pudding and avoided roast potatoes and parsnips when the veg dish came round. The waitress did think it strange I wasn’t having dessert! But they honestly didn’t look that great.

I feel better, have more energy, think more clearly, better concentration. Less joint pain. Even lost a cough I’d had for ages (found out it could be a reaction to the bread I was eating).

I’m 65, in a stressful full-time job, and I’m so glad I found this book when I did. I’d gone back to bad habits after a particularly stressful year and was being threatened with Metformin so knew I needed to do something.

My diabetes nurse is monitoring me monthly because of the speed of change. I gave her a copy of the book and she is very supportive. Her friend is doing 5:2 and she was familiar with the work of Dr Mosley and Prof Taylor, which helps.

Sorry for long reply. Any more questions, please ask. I’m glad to help if I can.

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi captainlynne

Excellent news, very well done! Do hope you stay with this group as your experiences will continue to be invaluable
    Keep us posted on your medical support. A lot of us don’t have that
    Hope the stress levels come down & maybe you’ve found new strategies to cope.
    Eureka

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Thanks Eureka.

Happy to stay with this group, even if posting on others 😊.

Moving around the country a lot I’ve had both good and bad medical support. Currently I live in a village with only one practice and have only seen a doctor a few times, none diabetes related. My Diabetes Nurse is brilliant. She actually listens. When I complained that doctors want us to be proactive in our care but fail to give us the tools, she said she’s hearing that from a lot of diabetics, and ‘they’ need to start listening to the patients. Not holding my breath though.

Apparently she is going to discuss me with the doctor! Seeing her again in a few weeks. Hopefully they’ll reduce or remove BP meds.

Stress comes with the job – but I do seem to be coping better. Since cutting out carbs I find I’m more easy going and less irritable. Something that would have really irritated me, I can now normally shrug off. Interesting to note!

Lynne

Please log in or register to post a reply.