maintenance

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by ASarj
    on

I wanted to share how I am maintaining my weight loss. One of the reasons I’m doing this is because I was a bit lost when it came to the ‘maintenance’ stage and would have really appreciated stories of how people did it. Firstly, a few caveats:

a) I am not asking for anyone’s approval on whether what I am doing is ‘right or wrong’ according to the Fast 800. This is how I want to do it and what makes me happy. For example: I have read the ‘fast 800’ book and I understand the science behind 5/2, low carbs, etc. but I have to be realistic about what I can/cannot do long term – what does/doesn’t work for me!

b) this is my experience of the Fast 800 – I know we are all individuals and my own personal experience may not be the same, or even similar, to yours… this is ‘MY reality’.

c) I have never been pre-diabetic or close to it so one of the medical ‘benefits’ of the diet (low carbs) does NOT apply to me.

I did 800 calories a day for 3 months. Overall assessment: I’m glad that I got the weight off… and in the process, learned how to enjoy vegetables more. The more detailed answer however is that if truth be told, I hated doing it. I did find that in the early days, my concentration got better, and so was my sleep. However, after a few weeks of being on the diet, my concentration went downhill and found it so hard at work – and in my personal life. I just felt I was literally running on empty!
    I found ‘keto flu’ to be devastatingly debilitating – not something I EVER want to experience again. (If this was not YOUR experience, I’m truly happy for you – I wish I had more positives to report).

I decided that a low carbs was NOT realistic for me (would never be able to maintain that lifestyle and frankly, I was miserable) so I re-introduced carbs into my 800 diet (e.g. sweet potatoes).

Anyway, after 3 painful months I exceeded my goal weight and it was time to think about ‘maintaining that weight loss’. After some confusion about how to go about doing it (all I knew for sure was that I was A) NOT GOING TO EXCLUDE OR EAT LITTLE CARBS FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE; OR B) SUBJECT MYSELF TO RESTRICTING CYCLES ON THE 5/2 DIET). So, I reversed dieted to restore my basic metabolic rate.

On my first week of the reverse diet, I went from 800 to 1000 calories for 1 week. I then continued to increase 100 calories every week. When I got to 1300, my metabolism fired up and I lost 3kilos (that was a pleasant surprise). A few weeks into my reverse diet, I also decreased my cardio from 40mins daily to 30mins daily… and then to 30mins 3 – 4x a week.

I now eat 1700 calories a day – couple of hundred more when I exercise. I eat anything and everything I want within that calorie allowance, including carbs. My plan is to continue counting calories for the rest of my life to avoid the slow and steady increase of calorie consumption without realising it – this is what I find works best for me: to know how many calories my body needs and NOT to go over that.

POSITIVES: rapid weight loss. Learned to appreciate/like vegetables.

NEGATIVES: more info about maintenance for those of us who want consistency with our diets and don’t want to be subjected to never ending cycles of feasting vs restricting diets (e.g. the 5/2). Poor concentration after a few weeks of being on the diet. Very little/no energy. Keto flu. In MY VIEW: unrealistic diet (low carbs).

Anyway, I don’t know if my experience would help anyone – I hope it does, even if it’s to say ‘you know what, that’s exactly how I DONT want to do it… I’m doing the opposite’ :)). I wish you all nothing but the best with your weight loss journeys, and the next stage that comes after that hard journey is over, successfully keeping it off!!!!

• posted by LouiseKangooroo
    on

Thanks for your post Asarj! Very informative and I find it very upbeat as I don’t plan on banning (white) carbs from my diet forever either. Like you I don’t have any fat liver/insulin resistance/diabetes so less restricted in that sense.
    Can I ask you a couple more questions?
    How long have you been in maintenance for?
    How many kgs did you lose during your 3 months?
    How often do you have white carbs?
    Im def saving your post for future reference. Hopefully I’ll reach maintenance in about 2 months 🙂

• posted by Verano
    on

ASarj a very interesting post! I’m so pleased you have found ‘your way’ to stay healthy. I agree that never ending cycles of feasting v fasting are no way to live a good life. I’m glad you have found your life-plan. Wishing you only a good journey traveling forward.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi ASarj
    My experience is different, but I always think it’s helpful to hear honest feedback so thanks for taking the time to post yours. The info on maintenance, and how you’re doing it, is really helpful. As you say, that’s one of the trickiest parts. It sounds like you’ve got a great plan going forward. Your post is a good reminder that we’re all different – one size definitely doesn’t fit all.
    Best wishes
    Jennie xx

• posted by alliecat
    on

I hope you will report back with your results when you’re well into maintenance, Asarj. A year or 2 down the road? I
    certainly would like to hear if insulin resistance IS reversible. Very interesting 🙂

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Very interesting reading. This has not been my experience of maintenance, but we are all unique and have to find our own way to maintain. As Allie says, it would be interesting to know how this approach works out long term.

• posted by swoosh
    on

Thank you for sharing. I love the science and concept of this diet, but I had to go “rogue” and eat carbs myself. I’m only in week 2 of 800 calories. I’m losing weight and feeling great. I know personally that I cannot do low carb in the long run, so I decided to eat them now as well when I am in maintenance.

• posted by VMHuck
    on

I know this is an old post, but I am SO happy to read it. I am currently on the Fast800—but not strictly keto. I avoid all obvious carbs (bread, pasta, rice, etc.). But I was getting discouraged as I keep seeing people who are planning to be low carb forever. I know I can’t do that. One question for the OP if you’re still on here: Did you start incorporating the carbs you mentioned (e.g., sweet potato) WHILE DOING the diet or when you went to maintenance?

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

VMHuck, I dont think that OP ever posted again so we have no idea how things worked out in the end although it sounds as though the diet was a success as they were on maintenance.

There are lots of us who stick to the NO carb rules but mainly for health reasons. I am diabetic and know what a couple of slices of bread do to my blood glucose and how long it can take to get it back down. If you are not diabetic there is no reason for the very low carb aspect to continue for life. The best approach is to be aware of your own bodies reaction to carbs – for you it might be weight gain, which, by the way is usually fluid and soon lost. Certain carbs like the processed kind and things like potatoes, rice, pasta, grains etc can be incorporated into your diet in smaller quantities than you would have had before the diet, or even just now and then as a treat. However, if you are still in the early days it is helpful to avoid completely as they can create craving and you will want more carbs. That is the nature of carbs – they turn to sugar in the blood, give you a sugar high and then a quick fall and you will want more. Just give it a go, it will be worth it.

• posted by VMHuck
    on

Thank you! I’m fine cutting out obvious carbs, esp. in weight loss mode (I have 10-15 lbs to go). I just wouldn’t want to be that way forever. In 2011, I lost 40 lbs just by counting calories (1400). I maintained for 9 years, and I ate whatever carbs I wanted (although I rarely ate junky carbs; instead, I mean homemade bread, roasted squash, etc). Lockdowns and remote work disrupted my routine, so btwn 2020-2022, I regained 20 lbs. That’s what I’m trying to lose now. I started Fast800 in late Jan., & I’ve lost ~10 lbs already. The OP’s experience gives me hope that there’s a way to incorporate carbs back into diet w/o regaining it all

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

VMHuck, I am sure you will be able to eat carbs again although in moderation and amounts that you know your body can deal with. It is not all or nothing or that would be a miserable life. As I said, as a diabetic I know my own body and its reaction to carbs but I still have a lovely homemade seeded roll at my fave restaurant and I even had a jacket potato on holiday last year – the first in 6 years – but it wasnt as nice as I remembered so now I know I dont miss it.

Funny thing is I have recently been in hospital and they fed me nothing but carbs – breakfast was bread and jam, lunch was fish fingers and mashed potatoes. They purposely wanted my blood sugar to be high so I wouldnt collapse on them. Unfortunately, one month later I am still struggling to get my numbers back down.

You sound as though you have had good results.

Please log in or register to post a reply.