Low Fat Dairy

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by MrVili
    on

Hi
    I understand that Michael advocates for full fat dairy but on the Fast 800 I find it much harder to do this as full fat obviously increases the calorie count.
    Was just interested if the full fat dairy option was meant to be included in the Fast 800 or was it more suited to the 5:2 stage and onwards?
    Any help would be appreciated
    Cheers

• posted by Verano
    on

Yes it is. Low fat tends to be ‘low fat, added sugar’ but mainly full fat means fuller for longer. That doesn’t mean you can indulge without counting calories. Have full fat Greek yogurt for breakfast etc.It’s difficult to accept this concept at first because we have all been so ‘brainwashed’ by the ‘low fat’ doctrine. The fast 800 works, put your trust in it and give it a go.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi MrVili – Verano is correct, even though it seems impossible to include full fat in the 800 cal allowance, it is possible and will help with feeling sated more quickly and for longer. In coffee (or tea) try swapping milk for a teaspoon of double cream instead – 23.36cals and just 0.08 carbs.

It will take a little while to swap mind set from low fat to low carb, but once you do, things will fall into place quite easily. Meanwhile, shout if you have a query and someone will respond. We’re a friendly supportive bunch and like to offer friendly advice and encouragement. Best of wishes for speedy results.

• posted by MrVili
    on

Appreciate the responses!
    If full fat is good does it necessarily mean low fat is bad?
    What if the low fat option also has low sugar e.g Yoplait Forme Zero (no added sugar). I enjoy the taste, it has low sugar and low calories (but isn’t full fat). I know I can add berries to full fat Greek yoghurt but I just want to clarify (if possible) whether low carb is good enough (even if it is non fat)
    The above example is a little tricky because the full fat flavoured versions are generally also high in sugar
    Thanks again for your help

• posted by Verano
    on

Low fat is not a good way to eat, as I said, we have been ‘brainwashed’ for many years. The main reason full fat is better, as SunnyB has said, it keeps you feeling fuller for longer. Further, butter is better than low fat spreads because it’s a natural product without additives etc. You haven’t said whether or not you have diabetes but if you have it would seem that the carbs are far more important than the calories in lowering blood sugar. At the end of the day this is a low carb, healthy fat (LC/HF), not high fat way of eating. It takes time to adjust to this way of eating but it’s worth it in the end!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

I’d endorse Verano’s comments. The problem with low fat options is that allsorts of stuff is added for filler and flavour – it is not a natural product. Better to look for something that has been through as little processing as possible.

• posted by MrVili
    on

I do have type 2 diabetes and am very overweight (138kg/180cm) which is why I am doing this
    You are definitely correct about the artificial garbage that goes into low fat/low sugar products.
    On my fourth day now the change in eating seems to be netting results (down 3kgs) so will keep going.
    Its actually the first time in my life I have been so conscious of exactly what I eat which is why all the questions. Who knew I would be such a novice when it comes to eating?
    Thanks for your support and advise. It is very encouraging

• posted by Verano
    on

MrVili you have definitely come to the right place. They say 10% of body weight loss is usually enough to reverse T2. I was taking 2000mg slow release metformin a day with a second medication being threatened. It was at that point that I found BSD and have never looked back. Almost 18 months on I am medication free and have been since last summer. My HbA1c had been in the normal range since October 2016, my first test after starting this way of eating in July of 2016.

For further encouragement check out Alliecat and Esnecca’s stories, just search in the box above. Take a look at the ‘100! Club’ thread with lots of stories of people who have lost in excess of 100lbs. Also the maintainers thread with lots of people who have lost weight and reached their goal, but more importantly have kept the weight off, some for in excess of 12 months.

There is plenty of encouragement here and as SunnyB says there are lots of supportive people here. Just ask away, keep reading the threads and participate if and when you feel like. All is possible, in the words of sunshine-girl, you just have to keep on keeping on………

• posted by MrVili
    on

Thanks Verano.
    Definitely will keep asking (and eventually answering)
    Cheers

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Very encouraging loss so far MrVili. It’s good that you are now so conscious about what you are eating, it’s that which will get you through and help you reap success. Will look forward to reading your results.

Please log in or register to post a reply.