Low calorie affecting thyroid function

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by ismac
    on

Hi folks. Has anyone had issues with hypothyroidism being on a low calorie eating plan? Had blood tests back today and both thyroid and cholesterol up. I’ve done a bit of reading tonight and found some articles linking low calorie diets to poor thyroid function. Thanks.

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hello ismac, I have been underactive for 20 years now (it took them 10 years to diagnose). I have actually lowered my dosage since beginning on this way of life (under Doctors orders). I had read that low cals would affect my Thyroid, but have seen no evidence of this. This way of eating challenges all preconceptions. In the long term you may find those readings go down. I find it hard to lose weight, but enjoy eating this way and although I don’t lose big like some people, I am however losing weight. Also, I haven’t been so energised before. I sleep better and hopefully, as the weight comes off I will be able to move more.

I would say give it a go…it can’t hurt…if it doesn’t work for you, then you can stop. I hope this helps. As a by the by…when I started, my dosage was 150mg and now it is 125mg. My GP told me weight plays a part in how much levothyroxine you take, so as you lose weight, it should make a difference. Fingers crossed for you.

Take care and good luck,
    Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by ismac
    on

Hi Nonna Mary. Thanks for responding. I’ve actually been in the BSD for a couple of months now and have lost almost all the weight I want to, a few kgs to go. I don’t take any medication and have a healthy diet (don’t smoke or drink much, no or very little meat) so I was a bit shocked with the test result. I have a bit of arthritis. Some of my reading suggests that autoimmune diseases like arthritis can affect thyroid. The cholesterol is likely to be familial. There’s never just one answer! One article contradicts another.

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hi ismac,

I am by no means an expert on hypothyroidism, but I am well read on it. I don’t know how old you are, but I was around 35 when my symptoms started. It is easily controlled with medication. Food rich in iodine are not recommended as they can affect the thyroid. I don’t know where you are in the world, but in the UK, diagnoses if made on the Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (tsh). If levels seem high the doctors give you levothyroxine as they take it to be an indicator that the thryoid is not working properly, and tsh gives it a kick up the throat. The problem with this diagnosis is…if the levels are from 12 to 24 “normal”…under 12, underactive. Over 24 overactive…this means you could be normally a 23 and be normal, or 11 and be underactive. I think I was a 23, as my symptoms were dramatic, but for a few years my results were in the normal range. Eventually, they dipped below and I was proscribed medication. When I had my last test I was told I was overactive (no way!) I felt no different, except that I had lost weight and was following the basics of this WOE.

I hope this information helps. Are they to retest you in a few months? Well done on the weight loss too!

Good luck,
    Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by Ancient Weaver
    on

I was borderline low, and death warmed up for years, always stressed and depressed with zero energy, tired beyond belief. Early this year, I realised that, according to the standard recommendation on the ‘net, I wasn’t eating enough protein. I was shocked. I ate normal home cooked food, and had around 50g a day, as per recommendations on packaged food. Further investigation revealed that UK guidelines are well below US guidelines on protein intake.
    I increased my protein intake to around 80g and started feeling better after just a few days. Weirdly though, I started putting on weight, having been stable for at least 2 years. Clearly I needed to cut down, but not wishing to reduce my life giving protein, and being very wary of cutting down on fruit and veg, I cut out all cakes and biscuits, then bread and finally potatoes. I finally plateaued at 13 stone, but I can’t remember if that was my previously stable weight or if I had gained from 12.5 stone.
    I was pretty gobsmacked by how much I had had to stop eating for the sake of an ounce of protein and totted up the calories, and was even more astonished to find I had gone from 1800 to just 1200 but wasn’t losing any weight.
    Since then I have frequently cut down to 800 calories, but as long as I keep up my protein intake, I feel good, and would put money on my thyroid being well within the normal range now. Unfortunately I forgot to ask the doc if I could be tested, but I’m not sure I could as there’s nothing wrong with me now that could be discovered with any of the regular blood tests. If I remember, I might ask on Monday.
    Anyways, due to official diet recommendations being ‘smaller portions’, which means less of everything, including protein, I suspect that it is in fact insufficient protein that is the real link between low calorie diets and low thyroid.
    I actually used to get even worse after a few weeks of that kind of dieting. (The mythical ‘starvation mode’.)
    BSD800 is awesome. I get to lose weight and feel great!!

• posted by ismac
    on

Hi folks. Just thought I’d add a postscript to this thread after following up with GP and doing my own research.

I lost a lot of weight very quickly on the BSD and it appears to have stressed my body, hence the increased thyroid. Also, using up my fat stores is the likely cause of the high cholesterol. I’ll have tests again in three months to see where the numbers are.

Thanks very much for the input.

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Ismac, thank you for the update. I am interested in the theory of stressing the body by losing weight and the cholesterol increase. Can you share the research on this, or was it your GP that gave you this advice?

Thank you.

Nonna Mary
    xx

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Hi,
    I was on the same dose for 25 years and last year they had to lower my dose twice because I’d lost so much weight I guess or my thyroid just started to work more. After 25 years!

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

HappyLife, that is so interesting. I am also on thyroid meds (about 5-6 yrs now). Am hoping the same holds for me after I get more weigtht off. I abhor medication….they all seem to come with undesirable side effects. This weight loss program seems to affect so many aspects of people’s health, all in the right direction.

Please log in or register to post a reply.