Losing weight but increase in blood sugar

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Alison66
    on

I have just completed a week on the blood sugar diet. I have lost 3kg this week and lost some inches, both of which I am over the moon. However, my blood sugar increased from 5.1mmol/l to 5.5mmol/l. Please could anyone explain why this has happened? Thank you.

• posted by Markbeasley
    on

It’s also happened to me. I’ve been doing it for 2 1/2 weeks now. Lost a stone and a bit but my blood sugar has gone from 5.8 up to 6.6 when I tested this morning. I am a little worried as i’m trying to reverse the effects of metabolic syndrome and don’t want to go on anymore medication, ideally I want to be off the blood pressure tablets as well.

• posted by Markbeasley
    on

I’m only eating recipes from the recipe book as well to keep me on track for the moment.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

The increases you mention are tiny and just natural fluctuations. You will find things will settle and start to go down when your body accepts the new way of eating. Just keep going, it is early days yet and it does work. By the way, your weight losses are great so you must be doing something right.

• posted by Markbeasley
    on

Thanks for that. All a bit new to me this blood sugar stuff. Just seems alarming when you see it going up when you’ve cut out the crap and eating clean. Still keeping to it. Really like it actually and I can feel the difference, as well as seeing it! :o)
    This time in 6 weeks i’ll be half the man I was before lol

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

I am also puzzled by the blood sugar stuff. I ditched the insulin in September last year and my fasting blood sugars are between 4.8 and 5.2 and after meals no higher than 6.5.

Although I have kept low carb since then – now and again my fasting blood sugars are 6.5 and they stay pretty much at 6.5 throughout the day (except after meals when they go up to 7.5). Then – after about 2 weeks they drop back to the low levels again – averaging 5 fasting and are 6.5 at the very highest and often only 5.5 an hour and a half after meals.

I absolutely haven’t a clue why this happens. The weird thing is that although I am on maintenance my waist size is still getting smaller. I have just gone through a two week blood sugar blip and my waist has gone down another inch and several people have commented that I have lost more weight – I haven’t – its staying stable.

So maybe my liver is still going through changes. Who knows – it is a puzzle though.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I would guess that you are still losing visceral fat and repairing the organs, hence the decrease in waist measurement but stable weight. That has to be a good thing.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Mixnmatch – I think you are right that I am still losing visceral fat and repairing the organs which has to be a very good thing. An ultrasound scan showed a very fatty liver in 2000 – and I assume that it had been fatty for a long time prior to that – so it will probably take sometime to fully recover. My pancreas also was pretty badly damaged and had completely stopped working by the time I was diagnosed with diabetes.

But how fantastic that they are recovering – with lots of help from the BSD diet and everyone on this forum.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

My waist measurement has been far more stable, with my weight equally stable, but according to my boditrax readings I have already got my visceral fat levels really low. (4cc) I think the skin left is the main reason the waist measurement is still reading on the high side, but I believe that can continue to improve for several years.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Mixnmatch – that is what is so good about this way of eating – our health will just go on improving over the months and years and we no longer have to look forward to a very dismal future healthwise.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I know, my mum used to joke that she would be looking after me again sooner rather than later (not in a cruel way, she obviously just worried about me) but now she is much happier, even if she occasionally does a classic double take when I’m not the ‘right’ profile any more.

Please log in or register to post a reply.