Long plateau

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Ilovecatsndogs
    on

Hi guys!

I am in week 15 of the 800 BSD and it’s been about a month plus, with the scales not moving. I am producing ketones, though at the lower end of the scales, still at 20 grams carbs daily, but some days eating more than 800 calories. Sometimes as high as 1,000 daily because I feel hunger now.

I have not gained back any of the 31 pounds I’ve lost, but not losing anything either.

I have read that being on a very low calorie diet can eventually cause your body to try to hold onto weight. But I also read somewhere that this doesn’t happen if you are eating low carb high fat moderate protein. So not sure what’s going on.

I am doing intermittent fasting and eat 1 meal only, at night. I am never hungry during the day and drink two bulletproof coffees.

I have ordered some MTC oil from amazon to see if it helps my plateau.

Any advice or info will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Hi ILCND,
    Welcome! Sorry you have hit a plateau. 👀 Perhaps you could try shaking up your routine a little to try and encourage a move on the scales? Has your body shaped changed even though your weight has not gone down? I’ve found that some clothes might be fitting better, without there being a shift in the scales.
    Some here have tried an egg fast to get things moving – see the Egg Fast thread, or try 2 meals a day for a few days then go back to 1? Or some extra light exercise such as walking?
    Join into the Seriously Sensible September thread to see what others are doing. I am sure that others will jump in with some good ideas.
    KOKO 🌺🌞

on

Thanks merry Melba!

I was on the egg fast for 3 days before I posted, and have now started MCT oil with my coffee plus I made a batch of long simmered crockpot bone broth and have dropped two pounds since. I plan to make the bone broth every week.

• posted by Krissie
    on

Hi ilcnd. I hit a long plateau after losing so well, the scales went up one pound down one repeatedly…..drive me mad and Sad to say back to sugar.I
    I have now got my head back in the game, first few days hard but so worth it,and having you guys is helping. Stick with it babe.

• posted by LouiseKangooroo
    on

I have read numerous times that OMAD wasn’t the best strategy to lose weight but more suited to maintenance.
    I would try and shake things up! 🙂

on

Hope all goes well krissie!

Louise, I’ve been eating one meal a day for years so I guess it’s a habit.

Anyway, the bone broth and MCT oil seems to be working cuz I lost another 2 lbs, so 4 lbs total this week ( which ends on Sunday) so far!

Yay yippeee! It was awful being stuck so long. Thanks for all the advice!❤️

on

Also for anyone who wants to know how to make bone broth in a slow cooker:

I brown the beef bones for an hour in the oven at 400, turning every 15 mins. Then put bones and all resulting fat into crockpot with water, celery, onions, garlic, carrots, set on “high” until it’s boiling, then “low” for 24 hours.

Then strain and cool and put in fridge. The next day, I remove half the fat on the surface.

You can drink it as is or make a soup. I add chicken breasts (hence why I keep some of the fat from the broth), and veggies, and canned tomatoes. I eat it with tobasco sauce.

on

Oops forgot, I add 2 T apple cider vinegar to the crockpot to leach the minerals and collagen from the bones.

• posted by MelBelle
    on

Thanks for the recipe!

Someone else posted about anemia and plateaus, this is specifically for women. Just something to keep in mind?

Here’s a link to the video about anemia (University of Sydney)
    https://youtu.be/PtczW43tiu4

• posted by caronl
    on

MelBelle Thanks for posting this link. I am now going to defrost a leg of lamb!

on

Melbelle thanks for the video! I’ll be buying iron supplements since I eat mainly chicken and salmon.

on

And I lost another lb today!

• posted by MelBelle
    on

That’s great news! Keep us updated with your progress!

on

Thanks melbelle! Will do

on

I read a very interesting article which said that while on keto, you might experience “weight stability”

It happens after you have lost a bunch of weight. Then your body sets a new “weight stability point” and you stop losing or gaining for a period of time, until you start losing weight again and your body will set a new point. This will continue.

So wait out your plateaus and weight loss will eventually pick up again. Your body is trying hard to keep in balance and hold onto weight.

Please log in or register to post a reply.