Long plateau, any advice please on how to kick start weight loss

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Buggerlugs
    on

Hi All,
    I have been on the low carb high fat diet for nearly 8 months and I have lost 16kg, but I’ve now plateaued in weight. I have tried to cut carbs back to below 20g, in general I eat between 20-35g of carbs.
    Someone did suggest to eat high carbs for a few days, and then go back to low carbs….
    If anyone has any advice, I’d greatly appreciate it. I try to walk 10,000 steps a day, most days I can achieve this.

Thank you
    Buggerlugs🐞

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Buggerlugs,
    My that phrase takes me back to the friendly accent/tone of Derbyshire.
    Could you supply a little more info, daily cals, exercise, have you checked your tdee? Is your shape continuing to change but your scales are not? How long has the plateaux been?

• posted by Buggerlugs
    on

Hi JGwen,
    Plateau has been nearly 6-8 weeks. I don’t really count cals, rather I count carbs. I aim to do 10,000steps, more exercise I think is one thing I need to change. I don’t think I do enough exercise. So I need to change that. My shape is stable, not changing anymore. I’m just wondering should I be modifying food? And if so how? What are tdees?
    Thanks for replying.
    Buggerlugs 🐞

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi,
    TDEE is a calculation based on your weight, height, gender and activity level of the average number of calories per day that you will be burning. There are loads of different calculators available online. – The theory is that one lbs weight loss comes from 3500 less calories eaten against burnt. So you need to look at the difference between the number of calories you eat and the number you are using.
    Secondly your shape changes may be happening somewhere other than your waist and hips. For me I had a noticeable change in about 4 inch wide steps up my legs in the first few months on this WOE.
    I know that muscle takes up a smaller space than the same amount in weight of fat. So you could be having a period where the muscles on your arms and legs are increasing in response to the increase in exercise. I am currently on a long plateau as well with regard to weight. But I can see where my shape is changing. I don’t understand why but on the current plateau without loosing a single pound I have managed to loose 4 inches off my hips. I think that in response to exercise I am increasing muscle in parts of my body as well as loosing fat from the spare tyre, but without access to one of those expensive body scans its difficult to prove.

What I do know is that its basic science, if your carb levels are low enough so that your body can access fat as its fuel source, and your calorie intake is less than you are burning there is no option for your body other than to reduce levels of fat.

• posted by Buggerlugs
    on

Thanks JGwen, I will count my calories more closely, although my diet hasn’t changed from the time I laws losing weight. But obviously, I may not burning enough!
    Buggerlugs🐞

• posted by ecelis
    on

My 2 cents: I think that as you lose weight it get more difficult to loose more weight. Heavier individuals burn more calories with exercise and in steady state than less heavy people… Also, it is critical not only to count carbs but also calories. With lots of protein and fats and few carbs you may not gain weight (plateau) but you will not loose pounds.

• posted by Squidge
    on

More exercise – and something different from what you usually do is a good idea. Our bodies seem to get used to whatever we do regularly. Perhaps try an exercise class, get a fitness Dvd, go cycling, or even just walking very briskly for short bursts could help.

Make sure you’re drinking plenty of plain water too. It really does make a difference.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi, ecelis! “Lots of protein” isn’t a predicate of this WOL. It’s based on low carb, moderate protein, and high (healthy)
    fat. Too much protein just gets stored as fat, similar to carbs. Managing your macros is just as important as counting
    carbs and calories. Best of luck,

Allie

Please log in or register to post a reply.