List your health improvements here!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi so many of us are noticing improvements in pre existing health conditions I thought it would be useful to have a thread where we put our name and which conditions have improved for us on this diet. It could be useful to Prof Taylor and Dr Mosley for their research.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

My improvements are:
    Massive improvement in my asthma.
    No acid reflux on the 15 weeks of BSD
    Less osteoarthritis pain.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Improvements in my retinal blood vessels condition
    Cholesterol in normal limits
    Sleeping better so feeling more alive and active

• posted by keje
    on

I have to say for me the obvious health benefit to me is weight loss and a 10cm smaller waist. However, I think the improvement to my mental health/ way I perceive myself has been a massive benefit. I now feel free of the previous feelings of guilt and incompetence at being bigger than I liked despite exercising loads and seeming to eat less than skinnier friends, this setting up cycles of extreme dieting followed by extreme binges. After years of trying to loose weight, losing and regaining the same stone on too many occasions to count and believing that I’m just greedy and will never get my binging under control, this really is a revelation. Realising I’m insulin resistant, not incapable of self control is a revelation. I’m almost having to rethink my whole perceptions of the way I (and others)have labelled myself over the years. To be free of binges and snacking now and find I can go hours without eating and being hungry is amazing. It’s not that I’ve learned to control binging/snacking it’s the fact that I just have no desire to do so. This has been so freeing and I feel so much calmer and happier, even ecstatic at times. The low fat propaganda has really been quite damaging to me over the years.
    Also, have to say being able to eat cheese and the occasional red wine completely guilt free (while still losing weight) is a benefit I will forever be grateful for!!!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Keje I totally recognise what you are saying. I didn’t realise how much guilt I held about my weight until the day I bought 2 new frocks and wasn’t cowering in the corner of the changing rooms and making a very fast dash for the exit ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by captainlynne
    on

No more acid reflux since being on the BSD
    Persistent cough disappeared
    Cold-induced cough disappeared
    Reduction in joint pain

More energy
    Better concentration
    Thinking more clearly

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Biggest benefit for me too has been the mental health one. Knowing I have been successful where so many times before I have failed with weight loss is hugely empowering. I’m more than 2/3 of the way to my goal weight and I KNOW I can get there this time… and I know there won’t be a next time as this is not a diet but an eminently satisfying way of life.

Don’t have any other health issues but if I did then I’m sure I’d be posting improvements there too!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

No flare ups of diverticulitis
    Sleeping much better
    Sense of well being
    Concentration is improved

• posted by jane c
    on

For the last 2-3 years, since my perimenopause really kicked in, I’ve woken around 3 am and often been awake for hours before sleeping again. Since the second day of the Fast 800 diet I’ve slept through every night (17 days now) till 7am! It’s amazing. Am going to experiment with alcohol and other carbs when I finish the 8 weeks to see which exactly is the cause.

• posted by Switzerland
    on

No acid reflux since commencing BSD on 01/04/16 (yes, really).
    Reduced osteoarthritis pain and visible inflammation decreasing on fingers.
    Sleeping more soundly at night (mindfulness meditation daily since commencing BSD).
    No abdominal bloating or random bouts of diarrhoea that used to occur after eating some simple carbohydrates.

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Oh, and weight loss!

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi keje, I totally agree with all you’re saying – the BSD way of life is empowering.

• posted by keje
    on

Hi Switzerland, glad it’s not only me that feels this way, it is empowering and great to feel that finally I am in control.

• posted by Natalie
    on

Good: I seem to be able to spend more on the computer before my RSI shoulder pain starts, so that indicates a reduction in inflammation.
    Good: No blood sugar drops if meals are delayed, I used to get panicky and cranky and feel awful now I’m just a bit hungry – huge difference.
    Good: Cravings and the need to emotional eat much reduced.
    Same: I don’t have any more energy and my perimenopause symptoms are still there unless I take tablets but I’m hoping.
    Worse: Hashimoto mentioned no diverticulitis flare-ups, my pelvic pain has come back and my doctor thinks that is diverticulitis but I haven’t had the colonoscopy yet. (I have had a pelvic ultrasound, nothing found.) It is disrupting my sleep.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Forgot to say: I can now eat without running to the toilet shortly afterwards with violent diarrhoea ๐Ÿ˜ฑ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• posted by Nettle
    on

Hi Team. I love the positive beat of all of the Blogs. I am week 6 and after a rotten day three…(you’ve all been there) I’ve been cruising. 7.5kg loss which has seemed so easy. I average 750 cals a day. Had you told me that was possible 6 weeks ago I would have scoffed! I also reflect on the fact that I was hungry most of my life, this lack of hunger is a totally mind-shaping event.
    IMPROVEMENTS:
    No gastric reflux.
    Sleeping well, waking refreshed.
    Tons of energy, out for longer faster walks.
    Feeling relaxed and calm.
    Finger nails growing longer and are much harder. A lifetime first.
    Sense of taste heightened, everything tastes so much better.
    12 cm loss at the waist, I have to wear a belt and the notches keep coming in.

Thanks to all who contribute.

Please log in or register to post a reply.