List of foods to eat, and those to avoid.

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by 0e8z
    on

I’m looking online for the most comprehensive list of the foods that can be eaten. Most of the lists I have found are quite short, leaving many items out. I make my own food rather than follow recipes so I would like something accurate to consult.

Basic guidelines are detailed in the book but I would like more range and details of their relative values if poss.

Any advice or tips please. Thanks!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Try the search box at the top of the page as this is often asked and some people have given really good answers. Another good source is dietdoctor.com especially on good carb veg and bad carb veg (and fruits). My basics are red peppers, courgette, cauliflower, spinach, leeks and mushrooms.

• posted by You snooze you gain
    on

There’s a website called Nutritiondata self and you can find detailed nutritional values for most foods there. Unfortunately you have to approach most things from the angle of looking up foods you fancy and then compiling your own list, rather than consulting a list. I have built up a list of my favourite low carb food on the website, which helps. I usually settle for old familiars, but you can build up the nutritional values of any recipe. I agree with sunshine girl’s basics, and I’m off to investigate diet doctor

Good luck!

on

Is it me, or does diet doctor not give calorie values? If that’s the case I think I might wait for maintenance to use some of their recipes.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Cover all your bases at once by using a food tracker like MyFitnessPal or Fat Secret. You can easily log every morsel you eat by looking up the nutritional stats in their built-in databases and selecting the applicable amount of it you used. The apps will then tally up calories, carbs, fat, protein, fiber, sugar, etc. It’s much easier to plan menus using these tools, and if you’re diligent about entering your food before you eat it, you won’t be stuck with nasty surprises like discovering how many vegetables are high in sugar after you’ve eaten a pound of them. It also makes it possible for you to tweak your intake should you find that you are not losing at the rate or quantity you hoped for. People who do it randomly based on nebulous ideas of how much they’re eating and what foods are “freebies” often go far in excess of judicious calorie and carb counts. Measure, weigh, count, log.

on

You are just so right about logging all you eat. I was thinking of low carb bacon and eggs and recoiled in horror at the calorie count. This is so much harder than low carb without calorie counting, but so worth it.

• posted by 0e8z
    on

Thanks for all the feedback – There’s some useful points here. I guess I’ll just have to get used to keeping records for a while! Or just plain stick to the recipe book where they’ve done all the counting. But at least you do get results with this 🙂 worth the effort.

• posted by Crazyquilter
    on

I have been resisting counting and measuring but you’re right Esnecca. I have been losing very very slowly, despite not eating white carbs or sugar. So I’ve had a talk to myself and this is day two of counting!

Please log in or register to post a reply.