Let's get started!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Miss Committed
    on

I live in Darwin, Australia. I’m starting the 8 week BSD with my husband this Monday 27th Feb. I’d like to lose 15kg & my husband has type 2 diabetes with consistently high blood sugar levels. We just have to do something to get them down, medication alone is not working. I’d love to hear from anyone who’s just starting out, we can motivate each other & do this together!

• posted by Madmare
    on

Hi
    I am planning to start 1st March, its the beginning of the month, pancake day is the 28th and I retturn from holiday and would like to join you on your journey.

I too want to lose 15 kg. I have tried the diet before and know it works but gone back to my old ways. I have never completed the full 8 weeks but this time I am going to.
    The holiday has forced me to see myself in beachwear and its not a pretty sight!
    The holiday has been good in that I have started exercising again and am going to continue when back at home.

I am going to keep a food diary and share my ups and downs with you.
    There will be a blip at the beginning of the month as its my birthday but that’s only one day!

Good luck miss committed we can do this!

• posted by Ceri_3105
    on

Hi Catherine
    I’m going to start tomorrow as well. I recently had a book clear out & was ashamed at how many diet books I have. My Mum struggled with her weight from about 50 onwards & tried everything going but she was T2 & found it so hard. 2 of my siblings are T2 & I have to do something radical. I am fairly active but am finding this harder with increasing joint pain & feeling my age (52!!) but of course if I could get rid of 15 kg that’s gotta help.
    After 3 tough years of hard work I am graduating As an Adult Nurse on 16th March & was hoping I’d have lost some weigh by now but it’s been usual story!! Maybe we can encourage each other ๐Ÿ˜‰ I know there will be lots of photos & I don’t want to have to keep thinking if only I’ wasn’t so big!!
    I visited Darwin many years ago when I was really a slip of a thing weight wise, of course I remember the heat but we also visited Katherine Gorge & Kakadu & camped near a lake with some crocs in but just the friendly ones!!!! They didn’t look friendly to me! It’s a beautiful place and would love to go back some day.
    Let’s do it this time !!

• posted by Madmare
    on

So to be successful this time I am going to
    – plan my meals so have no excuse
    – keep a food diary
    – DRINK MORE WATER (this is the bit I struggle with – i forget!!)
    – do more exercise
    – read the blogs to keep motivated
    – and be honest with myself
    – not beat myself up if i have a temporary blip – its not the end of the world and it does not mean
    – try mindfulness

on

Hi guys, so lovely that we’re here to support each other, I’m excited ๐Ÿ™‚ Congratulations on being so dedicated to complete your degree Ceri, it’s such a huge achievement! I like your goals Madmare, I haven’t listed mine yet, but I’m sure they’ll be very similar to yours.

Not sure that my husband was too impressed with only having a green tea & blueberry smoothie for breakfast, he’s big on cereal for breakfast and a milk addict – at least 2 L a day! I’m a bit worried it won’t be enough for him….will be interesting to hear how he went today. I did lunch prep last night which took some time to prepare but I think preparation is the key to keeping motivated! I also charged my Fitbit, it’s tricky when you have a desk job to get those 10,000 steps happening! I’ll just have to be more conscious of getting up and moving.
    Have a great day!

• posted by Ceri_3105
    on

Hi guys

Never joined a forum like this before but determined to keep posting & motivated!
    Day started ok so far but I have no excuse at moment as I haven’t started my new job yet & have time to prep & exercise! Walked for an hour with dog and then had 2 scrambled eggs & mushrooms & tomatoes. Didn’t get to eat lunch till 2pm but can honestly say wasn’t hungry,, did remember to drink extra water though.
    Also stocked up on healthy stuff so not tempted – keeping some frozen fish & chicken in freezer so always got a meal handy!!
    Going to swim later too!
    Day 1 is not usually the tough one though is it??? Will have A pancake tmrw but make sure I stop at 1 ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
    Good luck to everyone x

on

Wow it took me a while to track down this forum thread! Great job Ceri!
    Day 4 and things are going great my, husbands BSL has dropped from 21 to 13 & I’ve lost 1kg ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m very proud of my husband he’s sticking with it, even with lots of teasing from his mates.
    The foods been great, I’m following the meal plan in the book, the only downside is the preparation. I feel like I’m cooking 3 meals a day and having to prep lunches after dinner & sometimes prep breakfast too! I’m looking forward to the weekend when we only have two meals. The strange thing is having two meals in a day that have chickpeas, lunch & dinner, and another day which had 2 fish meals. I wonder why they did that?
    Until next time,
    Cheers everyone!

• posted by Theodora
    on

Well done Miss Committed – and especially well done to your husband for sticking with it, despite teasing from his mates. Success is so motivating, isn’t it?

I think that, if you don’t want 2 chickpea meals and 2 fish meals in the same day, maybe you could swap them around, and have one chickpea and one fish meal on each day?

As far as meal prep is concerned, I tend to bulk cook when I have a spare hour or two, and then freeze the food into individual portions ready to pull out when needed. Makes for a very easy life, food-wise.

Not sure why it took you a while to find this thread – just add it to your favourites, and it will always be to hand when you want it. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Ceri_3105
    on

Hi folks!
    Well done Miss Committed & hubby on his blood sugars that is really what it’s all about & when you can see the impact so soon that’s such a great boost! I’m feeling so much better. Lost a few pounds but feel lighter & have more energy. If I get desperate for something just having a tiny treat & then distracting myself (wafer thin chicken with a slice of pepper has been my saviour). Still feeling positive & just had 2 healthy pancakes (spelt flour). I gave the Welsh Cakes a miss yesterday (St. Davids Day) as they are just too tempting but will make a big batch when I get to 7 weeks at Easter! Will have bit of a test next week though as off to Wales for a few days but will try
    to keep it healthy and low carb.
    Finding that eating slow & really focussing on what I am eating helps. Good luck over weekend guys ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• posted by Phreckles
    on

I’m starting today so I’m on track with most of you. Love the goals Madmare – I’d like to make them my goals too – the only thing I don’t have to worry about is the water – I gave up diet coke last year (round about this time) and now I drink plenty of water.
    I’ve added this topic to my favourites and will be checking in regularly. Best of luck to us all.

• posted by Madmare
    on

Hi all
    Sorry not been in touch its been a busy week
    Back from holiday early hours of Wednesday morning and then back to work by 9!!
    Took a few days to recover from that.

Saturday was my birthday so went for a champagne breakfast with some girl friends.
    It was absolutely lovely and what was best was it could be almost carb free!! The portion sizes were over the top but then it was my birthday.

Had a lovely evening meal of scallops and king prawns and far too much champage but back on track on sunday.

Went for a run on Monday evening not managed any exercises but will get that in place this week. I am using an app on my phone 5K runner – its taking me slowly to be able to run 5K over 8 weeks. I am still on week 3 so the running is still on the easy side!

First week weigh in
    Lost 4lbs so very pleased as I thought the birthday would spoil it all.
    I am still not drinking enough water but have bought myself a ‘Bobble’ bottle and have it on my desk to remind me
    Hope all is going well with you other ladies – will blog more often
    Three things that made me happy today
    Getting on the scales
    Seeing my first daffodil at the side of the road
    Its light now before 7 am!
    Lets keep going and see what the weeks bring

So f

• posted by Stunning10
    on

Hi everyone. I’ve decided to start this prog on Monday 13/3. I’m a ‘stunning’ 64 year old ( that’s what I tell myself anyway). I’ve been type 2 diabetic for just over 10 years and managed it well without medication. However over the last year my hba1c has increased and my GP is now suggesting metformin. I’m sure if I follow this diet I’ll drop the necessary weight and have my levels back under control. Like the idea of encouraging each other on this kind of forum although never used one before. Any help and tips would be very much appreciated. To get myself in the right ‘headspace ‘ I’ve made a concerted effort to increase exercise this week and have done a few 5k power walks. Great for lifting the spirit and motivation

• posted by Stunning10
    on

Hi Phreckles

Thanks for your response and wow that’s a fantastic achievement well done. Apologies that I’m only just replying but we’ve had a few internet problems but thankfully all fixed now.

Linda A provides some great tips as you say and has helped increase my motivation. I’ve re read the book this weekend and going to see my practice nurse tomorrow armed with a lot of info then onto the supermarket to stock up on full fat yoghurt etc.

Hope you carry on feeling great.

Thanks again

• posted by blah
    on

I’ve restarted recently. Looking to drop 16 kilos, and get my BSLs in the normal range. I tend to cook for the week and have it packed into individual lunches and dinners. The hardest part is the 3pmsies.

on

Hi everyone,
    Great to see more people joining this forum ๐Ÿ™‚ Happy Birthday Madmere!
    I’m 14 days into the BSD and I’ve lost 3.9kg (8.6lbs) I’m really excited with these results. I’m not exercising but am really following the meal plan in the book to the letter. My husband’s blood sugar levels have dropped right back and are now consistently under 10, which is fabulous. I’ve also been following the “The 8 Week Blood Sugar Diet Support Group” (https://goo.gl/xabxUB), so if you’re on Facebook it’s a great network to be part of.
    Have a great week everyone!

“We need to look after this body today so it will look after us in the future”. Lisa Curry, Olympic swimmer

• posted by Ceri_3105
    on

Hi everyone
    Fell off wagon completely last week whilst away but have re-read Linda’s post & tips from other forum & determined to get back on with it. I see this more as a long term way of eating than a short term fix so for me I know I will have blips!!
    Good to see you new joiners & it does help to see everyone’s tips & tools to help them deal with the diet & life in general! So thank you & keep them coming ๐Ÿ˜Š
    This week will be a challenge as I have my graduation & a party at weekend but will try to stay on track at least 5 days & up the exercise. I find if I just do a quick 10-15 minutes of stretching & few sit ups etc in evening it really helps to tone up that flabby middle and stops me thinking of hunger pangs.
    Good luck to everyone for week ahead!

• posted by Stunning10
    on

Hi everyone.

I started this diet last week surprisingly supported by the practice nurse at my GP surgery. I’m absolutely loving it. Can’t believe that I haven’t felt hungry. I’ve been on slimming world and managed very slowly to lose 9lb. So far on this I’ve lost 5lb and almost an inch around my waist !!!
    Best of all my digestion feels so much better. I love cooking so will try changing some recipes I use to fit in.
    Hope it’s going well for all of you. We can do this folks !!!

on

Hi all,
    I’ve just completed week 4. My husbands blood sugar levels are consistently on 6.5 so we are really impressed ๐Ÿ˜€ I’ve lost just under 6kg (around 13lb) I can’t believe how quickly the weight comes off!
    This week has already proved to be a challenge, I’m visiting family interstate & attending a 2 day meeting so I’ll be away for 5 days. I’ve just got to make good choices, they won’t be the choices I need but I’ll just have to try my best.
    Hope everyone else is going well ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Ceri_3105
    on

Congratulations on the weight loss Miss Committed. That’s so impressive. I think because you’ve done so well and been sticking to it so for 4 weeks now it will become ingrained and even a little slip up won’t derail you. I have great belief in this WOE I felt so much better and lost weigh which is so hard for me these days and the longer you can stick to it the easier it will become to resist those carbs. It is difficult at first though & week 3 & my celebrations during graduation & too much prosecco completely set me back! I will get back to it though & keep reading posts etc on the FB page and here to stay in touch.
    Well done and keep going everyone ๐Ÿ˜„

Please log in or register to post a reply.