LESSONS LEARNT TO DATE

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Davidh
    on

Three weeks in and 10lbs lost. Hooray!
    Then ‘plateau!’
    Several initial lessons learnt, at least which seem to apply to me and possibly explain the stall:
    1. Portion sizes – better to weigh any ingredients, foods, rather than my way which is to guess!
    2. Red wine: I talked myself into believing that I could drink relatively freely. Say a bottle a week. But those calories really mess things up
    3. Cheese. I’ve been eating too much, again believing its OK to eat freely.

If I can nail the above, then I should be on my way again!

• posted by topcac
    on

Best of luck Davidh – I also found increasing water intake helped – I plateau-ed twice – once in Week three when I gained a pound (IMAGINE!!) and then Weeks 7/8 – I increased my water from 2.5 to 4 litres for a day and dropped 2lbs overnight. It stayed off too and got things started again – I continued the increased water but at about 3 litres – as 4 is just ridiculous on a regular basis lol

• posted by Davidh
    on

Your advice is spot on. Thanks. And I’ve been putting off increasing my water intake from the start. I’ve been focusing on drinking lots of coffee with milk and, sorry, but…Pepsi max! Lots of it! I’m going to take your advice from right now. Herbal teas and water. Thanks again. I needed the kick!

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

For me, when I’ve plateaued I have a bowl of porridge, the cab surge seems to reset the weight loss process. Don’t necessarily recommend it to everyone, but it works for me.

• posted by topcac
    on

No problem – but if Pepsi Max is your downfall you might want to think about keeping it in – at a vastly reduced amount I might add – until you get really into the swing of things. I still have the occasional soft drink because a) I like it and b) it’s nice to have when you are out with friends – just don’t count it in your daily fluid intake!

• posted by mauricem
    on

what is wrong with Pepsi Max??
    although i am addicted to it, i lost 6 kg in the last 3 months, in spite of the pepsi.
    may be if i understand the problem, i can then change my habit.
    please advise
    maurice

• posted by Kandefloss
    on

I struggle to drink loads as my fluid intake is restricted due to heart failure. What is the role of water in this diet? I am unclear. Is it only there help with hunger or what else?
    Thanks.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Mauricem, the problem with diet drinks is that the are chemically sweetened and the body does not know what to do with it, secondly it reinforces the need for sweet things. My view is a little of what you fancy etc as long as you are not drinking it every day. I occasionally have a vodka and tonic with slimline tonic, I know I shouldn’t even be drinking the vodka but I am only human.

• posted by Davidh
    on

I’m not a nutritionist but I read that both the high caffeine content and chemically created sweeteners in Pepsi Max don’t fit with a low carb way of eating. What I find is that I crave the sweetness of Pepsi max and therefore I can’t leave it alone. So I fall back into a sugar addition even when it’s a chemical sweetener. Well done with your weight loss though. Impressive!

• posted by Maharani kitten
    on

If you’re diabetic there’s something about blood sugar rising just in anticipation of a sweet taste like a diet drink, which tbh I thought was a load of rubbish, but apparently quite well documented.

I drank it for the first two weeks on bsd and it’s telling that my bs only really started to stabilise when I stopped. Also, if you google the effects of aspartamene on the body you’d never touch it again.

The diabetic dietician I saw early doors in my diagnosis (who also recommended low fat cheese and yoghurt and plenty of starchy veg) suggested I replace fruit juice with diet drinks at breakfast! I compromise with fizzy water and lemon juice these days. MKx

• posted by Mumofcrazynamedkids
    on

I have seen lots of diet/food science programmes that seem to confirm that artificial sweeteners consumed create a cycle, you crave something sweet, so you have the sweetened drink, but the body realises if hasn’t had the energy that it was expecting and then sends the signal that it needs more, thus creating a vicious circle of sugar cravings. I don’t see a problem with this occasionally, but regular consumption seems pointless after all the hard work we put in to trying to break the sugar/carb addictions/habits.

on

Will you marry me David (don’t tell my husband) I too love cheese and have been eating too much since buying it in bulk back in England, we are meant to be together. Sorry, thought I was on another website……. And red wine just goes down so easily and is really gooooooooood for you, yes. But you are very naughty, I didn’t have a single drop of wine in the first 8 weeks and the only cheese I had back then was some feta on the feta salad recipe and some halloumi on the warm halloumi and bacon recipe. Get down with the diet and leave your treats for later……

on

Just had to post to get rid of my earlier, I think David has refused my proposal but I was only after his cheese. Even that sounds wrong.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Are internet forums covered by Breach of Promise laws?

Just wondering……

• posted by Davidh
    on

Four weeks in and 1 stone lost. If I can maintain even 1 to 2 lbs per week loss I’d be delighted.
    Started using smaller plates and dishes last week. I find it helps with portion control, especially with breakfast. My favourite is Alpro natural yogurt with mixed berries. I was definitely eating too much but the smaller bowl has checked that. Wish I could weigh all my food but my work is at 500 mph and there just doesn’t seem to be the time. Is that just a big excuse though?

Please log in or register to post a reply.