Legumes /pulses and BSD

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Alipally
    on

I did the BSD diet over five years ago. Lost three stone and have maintained it. I am now eating more and more vegetarian meals and trying out recipes with pulses and legumes. I did a mung bean crumble tonight, and a split pea and squash casserole the other night. I’ve hitherto mainly used lentils. I can’t find out much info on legumes like mung beans and spilt peas, other than they have a low GI, they are complex carbs, and low sugar. There are no recipes in the BSD books or BSD online containing either. Does anyone know if I should be eating them or not? Also, there are lots of others I want to try, like butter beans, pinto beans, black beans, black eyed beans, ….there’s a long list! Any advice gratefully received.
    Many thanks.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Alipally,
    Good work on your successful loss so far!
    Yes, pulses/beans are excellent foods — they have rather higher carbohydrates of course, but it is partially set off by the large amounts of fiber.
    The only issue you might want to pay attention to is making sure you get sufficient protein.
    Beans and pulses, despite providing protein, are not complete proteins. They need to be combined with other things to become complete.
    For instance, just as an example, beans in Mexico are often combined with corn and cheese — it is the COMBINATION that provides complete protein.
    Read up on vegetarian combinations to make sure you are getting enough protein (you could probably Google it) but I love Francis Moore Lappe’s book, “Diet for a Small Planet” — fantastic information and simple to understand.
    Best wishes,
    Julia

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Alipally,
    Good work on your successful loss so far!
    Yes, pulses/beans are excellent foods — they have rather higher carbohydrates of course, but it is partially set off by the large amounts of fiber.
    The only issue you might want to pay attention to is making sure you get sufficient protein.
    Beans and pulses, despite providing protein, are not complete proteins. They need to be combined with other things to become complete.
    For instance, just as an example, beans in Mexico are often combined with corn and cheese — it is the COMBINATION that provides complete protein.
    Read up on vegetarian combinations to make sure you are getting enough protein (you could probably Google it) but I love Francis Moore Lappe’s book, “Diet for a Small Planet” — fantastic information and simple to understand.
    Best wishes,
    Julia

• posted by Alipally
    on

Dear Julia

Many thanks for such a helpful reply. I’m very ignorant about combinations. Do the combinations have be in the same meal or just in the same day?

I often do have some protein with the meal, like nut topping in the mung bean crumble, or cheese on a lentil shepherds pie, but not always. I eat fish and the odd bit of meat. Cheese and eggs etc. I’ll definitely get the book. I have lots of protein for brunch and eat nuts in between meals if I’m hungry and the odd milky coffee if I’m out. A friend of mine has the Zoe app which he can use test out the effects of different comb8nations on him personally. But very expensive,

Warmly

Ally

Please log in or register to post a reply.