Large cycling rides on 800

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by amoore2
    on

Hi

I have started the 800 diet this week. Once a week I ride my bike home for 60km and loose about 1200 Calories. Alos I do a lot of strength training three times a week. Is there a chance I’m going to end up just burning off muscle or could I eat a few etc carbs on the exercise days. Any thoughts ? cheers Alan

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Wow, Alan, that sounds some good exercise!

Welcome to the BSD.

May I recommend the following website for judging when (or if) you will ever get to burning off muscle?
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com
    Enter in your details and see what you see.

It is entirely possible to get energy from fat and protein, and the ‘carb loading’ principle – if you google it – has a number of people who argue against it.

My advice is not to eat extra in light of your exercise UNLESS you feel very weak and weedy. People are very different, and need to take note of their own body requirements. However, I never ate any extra to compensate for exercise (apps like MyFitnessPal, which I recommend) suggest that you can, but if you have fat either visceral or subcutaneous to lose, then exercising but not replacing your calories kick starts the weight loss/measurement reductions/improvement in health and blood sugars.

Hope that helps ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by amoore2
    on

Wow, thanks for the awesome informative reply Igorasusual, I do have fatty liver and visceral fat so I’m keen to
    make a change with this diet. All the exercise I have done has not budged many kilos or belly fat to be honest. Thanks again for your help cheers alan

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

You are most welcome, Alan ๐Ÿ™‚

The BSD has kicked OH and me into researching low carb eating, which is a fascinating subject in itself. Michael Mosley has done a wonderful thing with the BSD in translating into easily followed instructions a great way of changing your lifestyle and cutting out some of the dangerous refined carbs which do seriously affect us.

Just doing the BSD and following recipes/cooking your own in line with the principles will most definitely work – it has done for many people here, you can read the fabulous threads demonstrating it (I recommend searching for Bill1954, CaptainLynne and also looking at Lucia’s thread which cheers you up whenever something seems to be a bit difficult).

I had relatively little to lose – not Type 2, though OH is, and is following this with me, with great results – needing to get from 10 stone 8 lbs down to a target 9 stone (although I thought that would never be possible). I cut my carbs to 20g per day (bit extreme, but I wanted to have this work), and am now c 12 wks in, and 8 stone 12, with a revised target of 8 stone 10lbs, which will give me a bit of room to fluctuate up to 9 stone as I adjust back to more calories, and test how many carbs I can eat.

Many people here seem to try to keep carbs to 50g per day, and that works for them.

Physically, I feel more energetic and lively (was up at 6am this morning as a matter of choice), and everything fits.
    OH blood sugar is down to normal levels at his last HbA1c test (another one due) and his doctor has halved his Metformin. He is focused on trying to get off them completely, and is also experiencing the ‘feel good’ factors that I am.

Wishing you all success ๐Ÿ™‚

Please log in or register to post a reply.