Kicking it off with shakes…

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by HairyDougal
    on

I was wondering if anyone had started off with shakes, Dr Mosley talks about the study groups using shakes as it’s more controlled and suggests that I could do that, even if it’s only for the first few weeks.

I wondered what brands people had used, which they thought were better and whether they worked for them??

Thanks,

HairyD

• posted by orchid
    on

Welcome on board.
    I started with Shakes for 10 days. I was not doing it through a doctor and bought the ones I could get in Boots the Chemist in the UK. The first week although I lost weight, but not as much as others were and nothing off of my waist. I used it for 3 meal replacements a day and had a veggie meal (stir-fry or soup) in the evening. It made it easy to adjust to the 800 cals and I was sure I was not eating too much.
    What I had not noticed was that the replacement meal shakes were quite high in carbs – which was why the no change in waist measurements. The following week I found one with higher protein content and lower carbs, oat based and carried on for a few days. I then dropped to one replacement meal (breakfast), soup for lunch and a cooked meal in the evening. By the third week I was cooking everything and ditched the replacement meals.
    It seemed a good way to start – simple and avoids temptations of adding to the plate, but beware – most shakes are high in carbs – I was getting 90g carbs a day from them and then add on soup or stir-fry as well and I was over 100g carbs. Not surprising the weight loss was slow and most important that nothing was coming off of my waist.
    Do have a good look at the nutrition breakdown of the Shakes and ensure they are not high carb as that will not help you adjust.
    The 4 weeks menu section at the end is probably the best way to start and be ‘safe’ in what you are eating. If I ever have to start again, I won’t use Shakes. I will take a little more time to plan ahead, look at my normal cooking and plan and adjust that. Get a lot of good soups in the freezer – they are much more filling, and less in carbs than the Shakes.
    Good luck getting started!

• posted by Zedar
    on

I’m using Scitec Nutrition 100% Whey Protein Pro and it’s got 1.4g carb per 30g scoop. My favourite flavour is Chocolate Hazelnut. Replacing two meals a day with that is no ordeal. I mix it up with 250ml Alpro Unsweetened Almond Milk and while that has 0.1g carb per 100ml, it has also got 0.4g fibre. So that’s -0.8g net carbs for the 250ml of milk. And that comes up to 250 calories.

Now you’ve got me doing the math, I see that’s working out at nearly zero-carb for the shake. 1.4g + (-0.8g) = 0.6g Net carbs

Hmm, that gives me more wriggle room than I thought. On 800 calories a day, 5% of my energy coming from carbs means I’ve a daily limit of 10g net carbs – 5% of 800 being 40 and 4 calories per gram of carbohydrate giving me the 10g. And that last meal can be 300 calories. Do-able! With no snacks, though.

(That 5% figure seems to be the threshold to achieve ketosis – another story. I understand that is not a direct aim of this program.)

OK, that’s the plan. Two protein shakes to replace meals and 10g net carbs from as wide a range of low-carb veg as I like.

I’m starting Week 3 today. I’ve halved my Lantus dosage and my bolus shots of insulin are a fraction of what they had been. In fact, my daily total is significantly less than what I was taking to effectively cover one meal. And my glucose readings are finally on target – consistently.

• posted by HairyDougal
    on

Thank you guys for your take on this. I was looking at the boots site to see what they had to offer, and like you said most of them were high in carbs.

I have a naughty habit of overfilling my plate, and making myself stupidly stuffed, so thought a shake would be harder to ‘overdo’…

Plus my husband is away a lot with work, and I thought if I can tell him to just have a few shakes during the day then go to nandos for chicken and salad for tea, I’ve more chance of him doing it! 🙂

Thank you, I’ll do some prep work and have the cupboards and fridge ‘de-cluttered’ by Friday ready for hubby getting home, then we can aim to start next week! 😀

Thanks,
    HairyD

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi HairyD,
    the best thing for an overfull plate is a smaller plate! Seriously it does work. Start today so you are used to picking up that plate next week. I have been using smaller plates since I started and your brain soon accepts that is a portion.
    Could you persuade your husband to take flask of 200 ml full fat milk (134 cals, 9g carbs) and a wide necked flask of soup (120-200 cals)! Greek yogurt (150g) plus fresh berries mixed through would also fill him and be around the 200 cals, but under 15g carbs.
    Anyhow – have fun planning the menus – it is part of the learning for your future as this is al about making a real change to how we live not just losing weight, but keeping it off.
    Looking forward to seeing more posts as you progress.

Please log in or register to post a reply.