Keeping myself accountable

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Gibbette
    on

Hi, today is day 1.
    A bit about me, I’m 46 and weighed in today at 81kg (178lb) I want to lose 10kg but realistically could stand to lose 20.
    I’ve done the low carb high fat thing before with a bit of success but I think I was eating way too much. I’m pretty active and I gave up sugar about 2 years ago so sweet cravings are not an issue. Definitely addicted to carbs, bread, pasta, rice etc so they are going to be hard to give up (and the wine). I reckon I would easily have been eating 2000 or more calories a day so this is going to be a big change for me. So far today I’m doing ok. I’ve had breakfast and lunch and whilst I am hungry, it’s not unbearable. I’m not usually a big water drinker so trying to push myself to drink more. My plan is to keep posting to keep myself accountable for my actions. Feeling confident!

• posted by JMG
    on

All the best Gibbette. There is so much support here on the forum and some very inspiring stories.

Look forward to seeing you progress.

• posted by Kookaburra
    on

Welcome Gibbette!

You sound a bit like me 9 weeks ago. I’m 48, weighed 80.5kg, had 10kg to lose to get down to the top of my healthy BMI range, but in my dreams wanted to lose 20kg for a BMI of 21 to make my knees and back (and vanity!) extra happy. (But I was too scared to say that last goal out loud because I was afraid it wasn’t remotely likely).

Today I weigh 67kg, BMI 23.5, no longer carb addicted, feel great, and feel like the next 7kg down is definitely doable.

You sound really sorted, having ditched sugar already is such a great start. You’ve survived carbs fighting back before, so you know you can do it with bread, rice, pasta etc as well. I must admit that spending some calories on 35ml of vodka or 70ml of merlot has often seemed good value while I’ve been doing this, so maybe you don’t have to lose the wine totally ๐Ÿ˜Š

Posting for accountability is a good plan. Best wishes!

• posted by JMG
    on

Your story is very inspiring as well, Kookaburra. Well done on such a great loss. Look forward to seeing the next 7kg come off. You will not know yourself!

• posted by Lucyjane
    on

Well done Kookaburra. Gibette I have found cauliflower rice a great rice subsitute. I buy a whole cauliflower and grate it and then bag into portions into sandwich bags which I keep in a freezer. If I know I am having a curry or a meal with sauce I take one out and fry gently with some olive oil and salt and pepper- all for about 30 calories.

• posted by Kookaburra
    on

What a great idea to pre-grate and freeze the cauliflower, so it’s ready fast at dinner time. Thanks!

• posted by Gibbette
    on

Thanks everyone. I’ve been reading the forum for a couple of weeks while waiting for the book to arrive and I’m amazed and inspired by everyone’s successes. Kookaburra, that’s a great loss in only 9 weeks. I have to say I was a bit skeptical that not being as heavy as some on here, (although heaviest I’ve ever been) I wouldn’t lose very quickly (as has happened in the past), but you’ve given me hope.
    Day one down. Have to say I had THE worst nights sleep last night. Partly because the brain wouldn’t shut up, partly because I didn’t have my regular wines with dinner and partly because I was hungry. Oh well. Day 2 started. Nothing lost over night. Still at 81kg. I am peeing a lot today though so I guess here goes some of that water weight. Any weight off is good for the knees and back so I’ll take it.

• posted by Kookaburra
    on

Gibbette, not going to lie, the first little while is not the most fun feeling in the world at times. But I can 100% guarantee that you will love it on the ‘other side’ of the first grotty my-body-wants-me-to-eat-carbs-now days. You too will find that your hunger will subside!

Can you have a catnap after lunch to help with the sleep?

Great start, well done, keep going ๐Ÿ˜ƒ x

• posted by Gibbette
    on

I wish I could have a catnap! Right now in fact but I work full time and I don’t think that would go down very well if I snuck under my desk for a wee sleep. Early night should do the trick.

• posted by Gibbette
    on

Today is day 3. Only a 200g loss so far but I actually feel thinner.
    Checked my calories and carbs in My Fitness Pal. Pretty much on track + or – a few.
    I have been hungry, I won’t lie. Not too head-achy, at least nothing that a couple of tablets can’t take care of.
    Sleeping is still not great but I don’t know if that has anything to do with the diet, more general ups and downs of life and a very active brain.
    Was interesting to wake up this morning absolutely parched and feeling hungover. I have been drinking a lot of water so not sure what’s going on there.
    Otherwise, I’m pretty pleased with myself. Usually by this stage I’m about ready to give up because I haven’t lost 15kg in 2 days. Patience isn’t my strong point. It’s reading everyone else’s successes that is giving me motivation to stay on track.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Well done for sticking to it Gibbette

Day by day, day by day.

Hope you’ve MEASURED as well as weighed or you’ve got some clothes to test that “feeling thinner” feeling at the end of the week?

Onwards and downwards::)

• posted by Gibbette
    on

Thanks Igorasusual, I didn’t measure but have PLENTY of tight clothes at the moment which will give me a good indication.
    Day 4 today. Weight is 80.4, that’s 600g (1.3lb)for the 3 days. Happy days!
    It’s definitely getting easier, I’m not constantly obsessed with my next meal but still getting hungry.
    The weekend is going to be the tester, I’m a boredom eater and home is where all the food is. I’m going to have to keep myself occupied. Might be time to take up a new hobby.

• posted by Gibbette
    on

Beginning of day 5 today. Yesterday was not a great day. Had to go home from work with a migraine. I’m not a regular migraine sufferer, in fact I’ve only had 2 in my life and that was 2 years ago. I worked it out that 2 years ago was my first foray into low carb high fat so I think my body is doing some serious detoxing, hormone re-balancing type thing. I’m wondering if anyone else has had similar things happen? Also am not sleeping well at all which would not be helping.
    On the plus side, scales this morning tell me 79.8kg. That’s 1.2kg (2.6lb) loss in 4 days which is unheard of for me. Can put up with the headaches for that kind of loss!

• posted by Kookaburra
    on

Hi Gibbette, I think you’re right on track! Hang in there with the headaches and the disturbed sleep, they WILL pass, sometime in the next few days to couple of weeks, depending on the individual. Try and get lots of rest over the weekend, and don’t be afraid to hook into the pain killers to get you thru this phase. It’s called ‘carb flu’ because you can feel as bad as if you had flu – so treat yourself as kindly as you would if you were sick. Glad you’re enjoying seeing that scale number start with a 7 again! Nifty hey? Be even better soon when you start feeling good as well! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• posted by Gibbette
    on

Hi Kookaburra, thanks for the info. Went for a nice long walk on the beach this morning which cleared my head a lot. Definitely taking pain killers, no need to suffer too much aye. Stoked to be seeing that 7 number for sure.

• posted by Gibbette
    on

Mondays will be my official weigh in day.
    Starting weight on 20th Sept – 81kg,
    This morning was 79.2
    Total loss of 1.8kg for the first week. As a yo-yo dieter this is an amazing result for me.

Lessons I’ve learned so far:
    Carb flu will happen and it sucks! But it will also go and when it does, you feel a million bucks.
    When you’re feeling grotty, rest, take pain killers, get fresh air, drink plenty of water. Don’t stress about exercising.
    Water water water. Every time my stomach rumbles, I drink a glass of water. Helps with all sorts of things, headaches, hunger, joint pain. Keeping hydrated is very important.
    Preparation and planning is key. I cook/plan/shop for my meals for the week on the weekend and take lunches to work.
    It’s ok to be hungry. Food tastes so much better when you’re hungry.
    I can do this, you can do this. If I can have a result in the first week, then anyone can. If you can get through 1 day, you can also get through the next. It is worth it.
    Hope everyone else is going well.

• posted by Gibbette
    on

I haven’t posted for a while so thought I’d better check in with myself.
    Into week 2 day 5 I think. This mornings weight was 78.6kg. This is my first loss for the week.
    I’m amazed at how little hunger I have now. Yesterday I didn’t eat breakfast until 10.45am and lunch at 3.00pm. I really only ate lunch at all because I knew I was going to be late home so dinner was going to be late. Didn’t even bother with dinner, but did indulge in a couple of glasses of wine. oops.
    Proper weigh in day on Monday so hoping for good news.

Please log in or register to post a reply.