Keen to start

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Niffer
    on

Hi all, heard Michael Mosley on Radio 2 and bought his book on Kindle. Reading it at the moment, plan to start Monday. Going for a very sweet afternoon tea tomorrow with my family as part of my Christmas present from my son! He gets married in August, just one of many insentives.

• posted by JoJoBonetto
    on

I am on day 4 and I am finding it good so far. I am eating out twice next week but I think I can work around it more or less ok as I can have a salad.

• posted by Niffer
    on

Hi JoJo, are you doing the 800 cal diet? If so are you managing with making real food or are you on the meal drinks. I plan to try and eat healthy and take one of the drinks to work if I find it difficult there. Half way through book and at planning stage.

• posted by JoJoBonetto
    on

I am doing real food. Vegetarian. I am using week one as my test week so while it counts, if it goes wrong I can always do 9 weeks. I haven’t done any drinks yet but they look manageable. I have a fridge at work so both the bircher and cottage cheese are viable lunches. Avocado looks achievable too and the egg recipes. I made a batch of chilli that will do a few too. The portobello toast with cheese and pine nuts works well at home. I am not feeling particularly motivated to make a huge effort with fiddly stuff so I am starting with the easy stuff and slipping a bigger recipe in at a time.

• posted by JoJoBonetto
    on

Yes 800 cals. Sorry forgot that bit!

• posted by Niffer
    on

Read the book and now planning menu for next few days. Finding it quite hard trying to choose things that both myself & husband will eat.

• posted by Julie28
    on

I have also read the book and keen to get started it is breakfast I am struggling with as I don’t like eggs! Also nevber have a lot of time before work in the am.

• posted by HelenD
    on

I’m starting on Monday too. I’ll definitely be planning ahead and aim to start with some of the easy recipes. I think lunches for work are the most challenging but will aim to either prepare salad with meat/fish or take a homemade veg soup and heat it at work. Breakfasts will mostly be yogurt based or egg with avocado I think. Shouldn’t be too hard to stick to the meat/fish and veg for dinner but the main problem I think I’ll have is portion size to ensure I don’t go over the 800 cals. Will be using Myfitnesspal to log everything so hope that will work. Good luck to everyone starting tomorrow!

• posted by Aliba
    on

Hi Niffer
    I’m a rubbish planner and not a great cook so tend to stick to easy things. I have made lots of stir frys using Turkey breast or chicken, steak etc a little coconut milk, soy or fish sauce , some chilli flakes and lime juice. I serve it with pak choi, tender stem broccoli or cabbage also stir fried.
    If you are serving someone not on the diet just add rice or noodles.
    I posted my first week on here somewhere, think it’s called what to eat.
    Anyway good luck all

• posted by Niffer
    on

Just taken got m husband to take some ‘before’ photos of me, they are shocking! At least I will have something to compare my skinny photos with…her will be skinny photos! Will check starting weight tomorrow, but was 14st 12.25lb this morning. I’m 5’7″, size 18, 45″ stomach measurement. I have three weeks before being measured for new work uniform so I hope I can drop a fair bit of weight to start. After that I have less pressure asmy Son’s wedding is 12th August so want to buy outfit in July. I lost 50lb 5years ago with Weight Watchers and went down to a size 10/12 and kept it off 2 years until had to move in with my Mum for 7months looking after her prior to her death. Being away from home and stress and doing my back in just finished me off, boy did I comfort eat! So excited to know I will be a size 14 again, I plan to be an easily maintainable weight so happy to drop 2 dress sizes. Looking forward to Monday morning.

• posted by Niffer
    on

Hi Aliba
    I’m not bad at putting together healthy meals, it’s just calorie counting I find hard work. Especially as I want really good weight loss in the first month. I think there are some good Low GI diet recipies out there, I hope they should fit in ok with this plan. At least I like exercise. Thanks for your tips, I will look at people meal records they have posted.

• posted by Niffer
    on

Hi HelenD,
    I look forward to sharing and comparing with you, it will be good to use this site as a support. I feel so determined, I am planning this like a military operation! Photos & measurements taken, new note book for stats etc. Ready for th big weigh in tomorrow!

• posted by womble1920
    on

Hi. I am starting tomorrow, I want to get going. I am hoping I won’t feel wobbly on 800cals. Anyway good luck to all, wherever you are on your journey

• posted by Aliba
    on

Niffer…lots of people on her use the Myfitnesspal app….great for doing the calorie counting…best of luck

• posted by HelenD
    on

Hi. Does anyone know what the carb/protein/ fats ratios should be on this diet? I want to update Myfitnesspal with the right percentage split if possible. Thanks.

• posted by HelenD
    on

Good luck Niffer and womble1920!

• posted by Mumofsome
    on

Hello, I read the whole of the book today and found the website and forum. Yeay! Everyone is so positive and doing so well. I’m keen to start too, so I’ve given myself a whole week to plan meals then find and recharge my fit bit, and I expect to start 16 Feb. I’m going to try a few recipes this week to get a taste of what to expect. I wondered if you experienced folk out there know of any threads about substituting foods? I know that doesn’t sound quite the spirit but I don’t like coconut and whilst I’ve previously used olive oil or gluten free flour instead, I don’t know if I will be missing out on nutrients if I make the wrong substitute. Keep up the fantastic work, I’m looking forward to following in your footsteps soon.

• posted by Niffer
    on

Hi HelenD
    How is your first day? I have to admit I’ve had 1000 cals. An oat cake before gym workout this morning, smoked salmon & srambled egg for breakfast, natural yoghurt, toasted almonds and passion fruit for lunch and chilli & cauli rice with cumin seeds tonight. I hope I dont get hungry tonight as I at evening meal at 5.30pm. I did manage an hours gym workout before breakfast and work, I was so keen to start my new diet I was happy to get up sharp.
    I have to say that the cauli rice was great! I plan to use this with veg such as mushrooms, onion & peppers through it like I make cous cous. Even my husband enjoyed it. Must try harder to keep to 800 cals, but I didn’t think it excessive what I’ve eaten.
    I hope you are enjoying your first day.

• posted by Niffer
    on

Hi Womble, As in my post just now to HelenD, I hope your first day is going well.

• posted by HelenD
    on

Hi Niffer. 1st day has gone well thanks. Great to hear about yours too. I had natural yoghurt with blueberries for breakfast, a turkey salad for lunch and a homemade turkey and veg soup for tea (leftover turkey from Sunday roast). Just realised that I chopped up some potato to go in the soup but it would only be about a third of a potato per portion so not too bad a mistake. I can pick the potato out of the remaining two portions. I just went on automatic pilot chopping it up and adding it. I have enough calories left for a mini bar of dark chocolate later as a treat if I need it later. 9000 steps today which is a bit under my usual 10k target. Had lots of water and have had decaf tea/coffee with splash of milk. Managed to get myself off sugar or sweetener in drinks a few weeks ago. Just wish I could clear my nasty chesty cough virus that’s been hanging around. Looking forward to day 2.

• posted by Niffer
    on

Hi HelenD
    Sounds a good first day, great you have cals left for chocolate! Just planning tomorrows meals but out for the day with friends, we will be in Dobbies Garden Centre for lunch…ahhhh! Plan to have a decent breakfast again so if nothing suitable to eat out I will manage until later. Any suggestions?

• posted by HelenD
    on

I think eggs are pretty good for keeping you going till lunchtime. Boiled or poached egg and some sliced avocado- I’m going to try this later in the week. Sounds like you have a nice day planned – work for me I’m afraid. I have Wednesdays off so it’ll be interesting to see how I manage without work to distract me!

Please log in or register to post a reply.