Just starting out – are the recipes accurate?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Jooles S
    on

I have very recently been diagnosed as having type 2 diabetes and am hoping to start the diet soon. I have bought and read the books and thought I would try out a recipe to start with. I did the beef stir fry from page 51 in the book by Dr’s Bailey and schenker. I was a bit worried as the recipe says it’s got the following per portion

Calories 290
    Protein 27g
    Fat 13g
    Carbs 5g.
    However when I type the ingredients into myfitnesspal I get this:

Calories 403
    Protein 36
    Fat 45
    Carbs 19

I think it might be because mfp is in percentages rather than grams, but that still doesn’t account for the quite significant difference in calories. I want it get this right is the second recipe that this has happened with (the other one being the Greek salad) which had over a 100 calories more when I loved it into MFP. Anyone got any ideas?

• posted by topcac
    on

Hi Jooles, I’ve just finished my first week. I have about 2 stone to lose but mostly doing it to get me off the carb treadmill. I only used the recipes in MM’s original book for the first week and lost 7lbs…in a week…

I started the week logging everything on a similar app to MFP and it was doing the same thing so I just trusted the recipes and stuck with that. There may be more accurate Apps out there but I’m not sure, someone else might be able to help with that but I just made what’s in the book and it worked for me so that’s all I can say.

Just start – I’m sure you’ll be fine 🙂
    TC

• posted by Snoop
    on

I don’t use MFP, I use Fat Secret. I don’t have the book yet, so I’m adapting recipes, which is why I need to keep an eye on the ingredients I use.

The plain yogurt I use to log my intake is given on Fat Secret as about the same calories but twice the carbs given on the pot. Fat Secret also shows how figures for chickpeas, say, vary widely from one supermarket to another. It could be that the MFP figures are from the top end of the possible scale. Plus, with beef, there is potentially a big difference in the fat and hence calorie content of the meat.

I post on a thread of people who started on or very close to 29 September. 54andfatnomore, who posts there, doesn’t count calories or carbs, but he sticks religiously to the recipes. His weight loss is spectacular. So, trusting the recipes obviously works.

• posted by Jooles S
    on

Thanks everyone, much appreciated.

Please log in or register to post a reply.