Just Keep on Keeping on in June ! Week beginning 28th June 2022

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

No one said losing weight would be easy .It’s sometimes very , very hard which we have learned this week .
    I think we have all had times when it feels tough but for some it is a real struggle , especially with health issues .
    It’s ok to share the difficulties, know someone “gets it ” and can maybe help a bit with their experience .
    We accept though that we are all different and that we have to do what works for us .

We have a few days left in June .
    Let’s KOKO for what is left of this month.
    I have 10 days left before Easyjet ( hopefully) allow me to fly out of Toulouse .Stressy times in airports !!!

I commit to doing my very best to not mess up those 10 days 🙂

Are you with me/us ? Please let’s keep the conversation going xx

Wendy, sunshine-girl and SunnyB

• posted by wendleg
    on

The gang !!

Wendleg/Wendy
    Sunshine-girl
    SunnyB
    Florab85/Lauren
    Tulip1/Clare
    Verano
    Elle-Mae
    WindyJulz
    Natalie
    RubyG
    Onestep
    Slimmingruby
    FlowersForever
    Jess213
    OriginalMurrayMint
    Mrs H22/Laura
    HopefulinOz
    DaisyWalsh
    Russianroulade
    arcticfox
    Californiagirl
    sixturkeys

• posted by Verano
    on

Good luck with Easyjet Wendy! We have just under 5 week before we are due to fly with them and I have everything crossed.
    Following on from Wendy, we do have to accept that we are all different and also that we shouldn’t be too hard on ourselves, I have two snippets which arrived in my inbox this morning. I’ve copied them below:

The first from New Scientist Daily and is titled ‘You Can’t Rely on GI’ and I think we are all becoming increasingly aware of this….

“People with prediabetes who eat the exact same foods can have very different blood sugar levels. Prediabetes is a condition where blood sugar levels are higher than normal, but not high enough to be considered type 2 diabetes. For one week, researchers gave eight participants an identical diet high in resistant starch, a kind of starch found in oats and beans that can help regulate blood sugar levels. They found wide variation in participants’ glucose responses at the start, but also at the end – even after a week on exactly the same diet. The findings are the latest to suggest that there is no consistent blood sugar response to specific foods, undermining the idea that people should choose foods based on their glycaemic index (GI).”

The second is from Insulin IQ……
    Motivational Muse: To Cheat or not to Cheat, That is the Question

“At Insulin IQ, we support having an occasional meal with carbs in it if it is safe for you mentally and physically. Oftentimes people refer to this indulgence as a “cheat”. This word stems from diet culture and can breed negativity in your personal relationship with food. A cheat indicates that you are straying from the desired path in a naughty way, one that would not be approved of. This can create shame.

We want a positive food relationship! A more appropriate term could be a “flexible meal” or the like. This suggests that you have given yourself permission to have an indulgence. There is no shame in that! This approach combines discipline and flexibility for a more confident you.”

Well, that’s it from me. Hope this week is successful for everyone.

• posted by HopefulinOz
    on

Wendy, you have such a way with words. Your post towards the end of the last topic forum, and to begin this one, both beautifully said x
    Lauren – you are no doubt already taking a rest from our forum here, but just in case you are reading this, I’m wishing you all the best over the next little while and look forward to seeing you back again soon. Sending lots of positivity your way x
    Sunshine-girl – also sending much positivity your way and that your appointment has gone well x

Not much to report here. Still just ‘keeping on’ (albeit with way too much cheese yesterday – though glad to see that the increase in calories for a day didn’t seem to cause too much difference on the scales – maybe because cheese doesn’t spike insulin in the same way something super-sugary or carby would have??). Realised that OMAD isn’t going to suit me every day (hence eating my bodyweight in cheese last night), and sometimes it is going to be better to break my fast in the afternoon if it stops me thinking about eating all afternoon and then eating way too much! Like you said, Wendy – not always easy. The formula is simple, but following it not always easy. But, Verano, I’m going to count it as a ‘flexible feast’, not a cheat!!! I thought that your excerpt from Insulin IQ was perfect timing.
    Have a great day everyone.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi everyone, thank you for your good wishes. I have had my appointment and there is nothing wrong with me. I don’t feel like a fake as I know things are not right. All the markers had improved so haemoglobin was 11,4 now 11,7 (should be 12 or more), personally I cant see much difference there but he was happy with it. I have told him I am so exhausted that even taking a shower is hard work so he is sending me for more tests, non-urgent. A scan of my torso to include stomach, chest and pelvis and then a test to see inside my stomach an oesophagogram which involves a barium meal. uhggg, I have had that before. Basically, he puts it down to being diabetic but is happy to rule out anything else. He has also cut out one of my BP tablets but said if it raises I can restart it. We have a machine because of my husbands AF and it is calibrated with the local pharmacy so we know it is fairly accurate. So that is me for now.

Verano, your quote from Insulin IQ was exactly how I feel. Most people have a little cheat on a diet and it can make them feel bad about themselves and is often the trigger to give up on a diet. For me, the diet is my life and I couldn’t imagine never having something that is considered off plan. I know what harm certain foods do but I cant live my life giving up absolutely everything. I do know that if I cannot control my food I can get quite panicked but realised on our last trip that an alternative way of thinking is to just say, what the heck, it is only once. For me the rule is knowing a little will do no harm as long as it is a one off and only now and then. So from now on it is not cheating – that word is banned – it is flexible eating. It brings to mind the meal I made last night. Bolognaise with half and half mince and lentils with aubergine and cheese sauce topping. Told hubby it was vegetarian except for the meat 🙂

Looking forward to getting back in the pool, the hard part being getting into my cozzie. The weather has been cooler and we have had that longed for rain and it is warming up again – 26 today. Unfortunately, today the farmer has decided to plough the field next to the bottom of our garden and our next door neighbour’s son has come round to mow the grass for about 3 hours, and he always leave the side nearest us until last. So it is super noisy and lots of bits flying into the pool.

Have a good week.

on

Just one more thing, I showed the doctor my multivitamins and he said there was nothing in them that would do me any harm but that is because there is nothing in them really, just traces of everything that I could get from having a fruit and yoghurt breakfast followed by an egg. They are, as I really thought, just a con and a waste of money. Also my probiotic is okay but no better than a plain yoghurt. Hey ho, think I will be saving my money in future.

• posted by Verano
    on

Sunshine-girl ….. firstly ‘Happy Anniversary’ 6 years today eating this way a great achievement.
    So pleased there is nothing seriously wrong and in a bizarre sort of way I hope they find a minor problem when you have your next round of tests, then you will feel happy knowing something wasn’t quite right …. we know our own bodies best!
    I often make bolognese and cottage pie ( cauliflower mash of course!) with added lentils not only does it make the dish go further but I feel ‘righteous’ eating less meat. I like the precooked puy or beluga lentils which are almost ‘meaty’ in both taste and texture.
    S-g your right about vitamins and probiotics. I was looking at a new yogurt called ‘gut glory’ which is supposed to have live cultures, they aren’t listed on the ingredients but modified maize starch, colours and flavours are! I’ll stick with Total milk, cream and live cultures!
    This takes me back to the old adage … in a list of ingredients if you can’t find one or more of them in your grandma’s kitchen cupboard then don’t buy/eat that food! I must admit I’ve become an avid ‘ingredients’ list reader and try to buy, as near as possible ‘natural’ foods.
    Have a good evening.

on

Verano, totally forgot what day it is. 6 years is a long time but I can qualify why I stick with this with

28th June 2016, BG 190, insulin 40 units, BP 145/90
    28th June 2022, BG 78, insulin 14 units, BP 120/60

I think this diet is good for me, plus I have not succumbed to any diabetic complications that I would have been almost certain to have i.e. eyesight, kidney problems, limb problems (numb feet) etc. Plus I would have been on more and more medications instead of less and less. Happy to be part of this group.

• posted by Verano
    on

WOW! A huge achievement s-g. Whenever you feel a bit low just look back and pat yourself on the back for how far you have really come.
    This really is a good place to be a part of.

on

Hi everyone, so glad I live in France. Saw my doctor yesterday and he gave me a letter for the big test – not telephoned yet, but also for a MRI Scan. Telephoned the hospital just now and I have an appointment for 5th July. I will ring for the other appointment but I am all Frenched out right now, you will know what I mean if you have to speak a foreign language. I think these are my doctor making sure there isn’t something he is missing.

Now just trying to get the energy up to go for a swim before we are hit with some cold weather tomorrow – going from 27 today down to 16 tomorrow. Have a good day.

on

Looks like everyone has deserted us. I go for my MRI tomorrow so nothing to report as yet.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Sorry SG. The week was a bit mad and now I am busy getting ready for my trip ,leaving on Thursday if all goes well.

I’m going to be off the radar for a few weeks as I reconnect with my family…haven’t seen them for 3 years !

I will check in when I can but would you mind taking over hosting the thread ,SG until I get back at the end of the month ?
    Thinking of you for tomorrow. Fingers crossed for the MRI scan xx

Lots of love everyone. Yes,it’s gone a bit quiet and I hope everyone is ok.
    Wendy xx

• posted by florob85
    on

Sunshine-girl I hope your MRI goes ok, Wendy – I can’t remember when sg goes away but if it’s before you come back I can help out with the thread – one of you just WhatsApp me if you need me to step in

L x

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Good luck with the MRI scan S-G 🤞for you x
    Have a great time away with your family Wendy 😁

on

Hi Lauren, I will set up this weeks thread although not as good with words as Wendy. I will hand over to you for the 26th as I go away on the 25th.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Thanks Denise, thanks Lauren ! 🤗🤗

• posted by florob85
    on

Of course, anytime – sg – I’ve put a note in my diary xp

• posted by wendleg
    on

Thanks for your good wishes Elle-Mae ! 🤗🤗😚😚

on

Thanks Elle, not looking forward to the needle. :):)

Please log in or register to post a reply.