JUST KEEP ON KEEPING ON IN JULY – STARTING 5TH JULY

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hello to all our group and welcome to any newbies who want to join us. You can put the last week behind you and start with renewed energy and motivation. Things have been a bit quiet this last week and I hope you have just been too busy doing life and enjoying yourselves. However, if you have been having a hard time just pop in and tell us about it and we will give you as much support as we can in our digital world. I personally am having an MRI Scan tomorrow (5th) so will have plenty to talk about and bore you with my medical woes. Hopefully, there will be nothing to report.

I have just heard that July in the UK is going to be super hot so dont forget to drink plenty of water and it is a great time for salads. Come on and say hello.

Sunshinegirl, Wendleg and SunnyB

on

Here is our gang – shout out if I have missed anyone out.
    Wendleg/Wendy
    Sunshine-girl
    SunnyB
    Florab85/Lauren
    Tulip1/Clare
    Verano
    Elle-Mae
    WindyJulz
    Natalie
    RubyG
    Onestep
    Slimmingruby
    FlowersForever
    Jess213
    OriginalMurrayMint
    Mrs H22/Laura
    HopefulinOz
    DaisyWalsh
    Russianroulade
    arcticfox
    Californiagirl
    sixturkeys

• posted by wendleg
    on

Thanks for setting up the new thread SG ( that’s Denise 😉)
    I will be checking in before I leave on Thursday and certainly tomorrow to see how the MRI scan went. It will be good to get that sorted so you can relax.

Tomorrow there is an evening meal laid on for the volunteers where I help with French. I will have to jump about a lot more at aquagym before hand and see what we are offered in the restaurant 🙄

I am keeping everything crossed that Easyjet let me fly out of Toulouse with my hand luggage. I am arriving in Gatwick and spending a few days with my sister in Brighton before heading up to the Midlands next Monday. I.get to see my two boys on Tuesday 12th. That will be very emotional 💕💕 !

I am not going to get anxious about my food in the UK. I can adapt and I don’t intend to binge on any carbage . My meal choice at the wedding is fish . This wedding has been postponed twice ..it’s hubby’s son .
    I have several lovely frocks but good to see I won’t need to pack my big coat and wellies. SG 😉

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Glastonbury and Wimbledon out of the way so the weather can improve 🤣

• posted by florob85
    on

Hey all, I’m here, still battling on through quite intense nausea and stomach cramps. I’m not sure if it’s what I’m eating or the supplements I’m taking but I feel rough. Barely any appetite either which isn’t helping.

I went back to work today after 9 weeks off sick with ME/long covid/exhaustion, just a morning today and it was definitely enough. Feeling very sorry for myself but I’ll get there. I’m going a curriculum mapping project with a colleague tomorrow, and nerdy as that sounds looking forward to it, and I have a meeting to discuss a promotion on Wednesday so fingers crossed.

Take care all

L x

on

Hi Elle and Lauren. Lauren if it wasn’t for the fact I haven’t had Covid I would say I have very similar symptoms. Nausea, stomach cramps and just feeling totally exhausted doing anything, even brushing my teeth. Also just cant be bothered and food has no interest and, again, I just cant be bothered to eat. I know my BP was 94/56 when doctor did it and that is unusual as I suffer from high BP. Lets hope they can come up with something at the scan tomorrow but really I dont want it to be anything or that could be worse. At least I am getting a full MOT. Take care everyone.

• posted by Russianroulade
    on

Hello all

Sorry to hear some of you have been poorly. Do look after yourselves and more importantly don’t be too hard on yourselves.

Wendleg you have a lot to look forward. I’m sure we all wish you a lovely time and look forward to eating it.

I keep getting on and off the wagon. It’s pathetic really. I’m just to yo young around where my starting weight was. It’s just so hard when temptation is all around. However boyfriend is motivated at the moment which does help.
    But am back on it this week and have started back on the couch to 5k, even though it killed me jogging round the park I did it.

Short of taping my hands behind my back I’m not sure what I can do to stop the binge eating, but I must try!

Come on everyone! Xxx

• posted by florob85
    on

Hi Russianroulade! You can do it!

Sunshine girl, that’s so miserable – I wish I could say I didn’t but unfortunately I completely get how you feel and it’s horrid. My ME causes low level nausea, fatigue, light sensitivity, dizziness, fever and muscle aches on a daily basis – and that’s a good day, but I’m so used to that I barely even notice anymore, but the last few weeks have just been horrendous, everything exacerbated, getting dressed is a challenge. It’s horrid. I really hope the scan can find something or at least the GP can work something out because it’s just miserable feeling like that x

• posted by HopefulinOz
    on

Evening all. Sorry I have been so quiet – things have been very busy around here, and I slipped (flexible eating 😏 ), but back on the wagon today. RussianRoulade – sounds like you and I have been on the same merry go round!
    Sunshine Girl and Lauren – very sorry to hear that you are both feeling poorly. Sunshine Girl, I hope tomorrow’s appointment can at least give you some answers and hopefully set you back on the path towards great health. Lauren, I am afraid I do not know much about ME, but I think we call it Chronic Fatigue Syndrome in Australia (unless I am mistaken). I can only imagine that that, combined with long Covid, must be very difficult. I am wishing you both well.
    Wendy – wishing you all the best for your travels, seeing your boys and the wedding. Those are the moments that make life so wonderful. Travel safe xx

on

Hi Russianroulade and Hopefulinoz. Always room for you here.

Had my scan this morning and it was a piece of cake. Will go back tomorrow to pick up the results and give them back the drug pack I was supposed to take in with me. I have now collected it from the pharmacy and it is the whole kit, tubes, needle, canular and medication and I have to replace it with what they used because I am a numpty and didnt understand the instructions I received.

Busy day tomorrow. Have to pick up out meat (sausages and bacon) order from the farm van, then collect my results and then go with hubby to the cardio for his annual check up. My daughter says we sound like her grandma used to with a list of ailments and appointment. She too will get old. 🙂

It is very hot here again and I could do with a swim but I think I will just relax and, forgot to say, I have to drink 2 litres of water to get the radioactive solution out of my system or I will have fluorescent wee. Just received a new paint by numbers that I am dying to get started on.

Have a good week.

• posted by Russianroulade
    on

Evening all. Does anyone know anything about coffee mate? A colleague of mine claims to know quite a lot about the keto diet. She suggested using coffee mate in my coffee. Any thoughts?

• posted by florob85
    on

Russian, just looked it up nutritional info, says 3.8g carbs (0.6g sugar) per mug….double cream has only 0.3G carbs per tbspn, and milk will be less than coffee whitener, the flavoured ones will have sweetener in too. Yes cream is more calories certainly. Sounds to me like your colleague is talking nonsense! It’s possible they are talking about “bullet proof” coffee which is keto and paleo and has butter and sometimes creamer as well whisked in (sounds vile to me) – coffee mate would certainly add more fat but I wouldn’t say it’s necessarily “low carb”

Of course that’s just my opinion!

L x

on

Hi all, picked up my scan results and it looks like there might be a problem with my lungs. It is really difficult to translate medical terms from French to English and then search what they mean and also need to be careful of the small words like ‘sans’ (without) or ‘pas’ (not or no) but doing my best I have dropped the full thing off at my doctors. So I will wait and see – can I have a drink please – at least my liver is clear and normal. Only joking about the drink.

• posted by florob85
    on

Big hugs SG, try not to get too ahead of yourself – you know translating anything from French to English never translates completely accurately – so try and just wait for the doctor to explain fully x

on

Hi all, feeling so much better today both mentally and physically. So whether it is a bronchial infection or something else at least I know I will be well looked after. Doctor didnt ring and he has a day off today so obviously no hurry. No matter what it is nothing will keep me down. Remember the song by Chumbawamba called Tubthumping. Look it up if you dont know it. Might get a swim later today but it is going to be soooooo hot and getting hotter. I like to swim after breakfast but today was our shopping day so missed my chance.

Lauren, keep on taking care of yourself and big hugs to everyone else.

Just looked at the video and there is a lot of booze in it :):)

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

SG, so glad you are feeling better. Haha how come I never knew that was the name of that song. Remember no news is good news 😉

• posted by florob85
    on

❤️ sg

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi.
    Late to the party this week. Have been away and will weigh tomorrow but my guess is that after my ‘flexible eating’ the scales won’t be favourable! Blood sugar still stable so no great harm there.
    s-g glad you are feeling brighter…. all will be well.
    I will k o k o ….. only thing to do under the circumstances!
    Enjoy the rest of the week.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Hi all,

I’ve missed you- I’ve been so busy the last few weeks with lots on the job front- actually have an interview for a promotion that I really want on July 29th…..eek, and I need to do a presentation….sooo, I might still not be about for a bit….I’ve been off the wagon mostly because of that, but I am getting back on it this week….!

SG, I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you, and Lauren- so sorry that you have been so poorly after Covid….I know it’s dreadful…it took me 3 months to start getting back to myself after I had it, back right at the start of the pandemic….

Wendy UK woohoo….I’m from the Midlands….which bit are you going to?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Woo hoo I am in the UK, folks ! Brighton for the weekend with my sister and niece and then heading up to the Midlands on Monday (Nuneaton, Tulip/Clare)

To be honest felt a bit disoriented when I arrived. It’s been 3 years ! It’s great though and I can’t wait to see the rest of the family. We will finally have our long awaited réunion on Tuesday !
    Clare all the very best for your presentation. Really hoping all goes well so you get your promotion.

Lauren too with your promotion..keep us posted. Fingers crossed.
    This is just a quick check in but I will do my best to keep up with the thread.
    Thinking of you all . SG you will.get sorted xx

on

Hi everyone, Wendy glad you arrived without any problems. We are midlands bound as well – Solihull near Birmingham.

Okay, so it is not good news and I have seen a doctor today (mine is on holiday). It is exactly what I thought it was from the scan results (I wouldn’t be a good nurse if I couldn’t understand technical medical info) and I have to have more blood tests on Monday. I also have to see a pneunomologist but the office is closed until next Tuesday. They will ring me with a date and I have already told them all my dates I cant go, including the trip to the UK. If it is infection my own doctor will see the blood results and I can be treated but if it isn’t then I guess there is no hurry so I can wait until the end of August. I am okay about it all. I might even get a disabled badge for the car :):) Sorry about the bedside medical humour.

More importantly I have to get down 2kgs in 3 weeks for the wedding. I have been a bit flexible and had some baguette yesterday and it has put me up by half a kilo. Pesky fluid retention. Had a swim this morning – I was in the pool when the doctor rang me to go straight in so I had to say I was a bit wet and went in after lunch. So from now on no flexibility, no bread, no alcohol. So I need cheering on with that – 5lbs in 3 weeks – yes she can……..

Take care in the heat everyone and drink lots of water.

• posted by Verano
    on

Wendy you really have picked a great spell of weather to be here in the UK …. Enjoy!
    S-g sorry the news isn’t all good but you’ll get there in the end you just need to stay positive. Three weeks … 5lbs is doable but don’t be too hard on yourself because it probably won’t make a huge difference to your clothes. Just enjoy your daughters wedding.
    Well my gain was minimal less than 1lb so I’m really pleased with that. I think because I’ve been eating this way for over 6 years now ( my 6th anniversary was last Tuesday) I automatically choose the low carb stuff even unconsciously. I did have a dessert or two but I didn’t finish either and I chose relatively ‘safe’ stuff, not pies or puddings! I’m very fortunate that I don’t get carb cravings and I no longer have a sweet tooth so the odd piece of rye bread or a small chocolate mousse, dark of course!, doesn’t really set me back.
    Anyway, enjoy the good weather here this weekend and as s-g says just keep on keeping on …….

on

Hi Everyone, oh Verano, sorry I forgot your anniversary. 6 years and, like me, it is your way of life. I never even consider puddings and rarely turn to bread and it is 6 years since I had a jacket potato. Am I remembering wrongly but weren’t you in a bit of a bad way health-wise when you started besides the diabetes, I recall mobility issues but could be wrong. It is great to look back and see how far you have come.

Had a lovely swim this morning and even had a bit of a boogie by the pool. I always wear a waterproof mini music player – whatever they are called – so have music on all the time. Just not been up to dancing until today.

Have a great weekend and keep cool.

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Happy anniversary SG and Verrano
    Hopefully SG it isn’t too serious as you feel you can wait to see your Dr until the end of August. 🍀
    I have been trying to lose only 5lbs to get to my magic target but have only managed 3 lbs of it. I’m off out for a meal tonight so have opted to do a 24hr fast from last night’s dinner until whatever time we eat tonight, tables booked for 6 pm. Then we have a picnic planned to Tuesday which will be low carb but not calories so am planning another dinner to dinner fast for Thursday. However my daughter is visiting from England for 3 days from next Saturday, so plenty of eating out is planned. It’s only a magic number on the scales that has always, for years, been my target so it’s more a mental thing than physical but heyho it will mentally satisfy me to finally hit it.

on

Elle-mae you might not have reached your target but you have done a marvellous job of getting off the 3lbs – maybe you over extended your expectations like I always do. I think if I try for a bigger number I will be happy if I get even close. Or to quote whoever (it has been said by lots of people) “Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you’ll land among the stars.” That’s a really good place to be. Just a slight warning. Don’t go out too hungry or you might crumble when the menu arrives – maybe a liquid soup or something light just to take the edge off. If what is wrong with me is treatable i.e. an infection causing the problem then that is okay. If it isnt then a few weeks wont do much more damage. Anyway, at least I am getting super fast treatment and diagnosis.

• posted by Verano
    on

Thanks Elle-Mae for the anniversary wishes …. six years who would have thought that this ‘diet’ would actually become a ‘way of life’! I agree with s-g whatever you do don’t go out hungry eat before you go out.
    S-g you’re right mobility issues. I still have them. I had a hip resurfacing in 2000 then in 2007 I contracted sepsis, had my hip removed, had a further 4 surgeries and am left with shot muscles in my right leg…. so I’ll always be challenged mobility wise but hey …. it could be worse. At least my general health is good and I always say … “ I can do what I can do and what I can’t I don’t fret about”.
    I’m sure that my general health is far better eating this way than it would have been had I not found this way of life. Talking about which my friend, who had a toe removed back in 2015, then had another compromised in 2016 and who was the catalyst for me starting BSD is now using insulin. Last year he almost lost his leg but was spared just losing yet another toe. It’s so sad. Low carb works. What’s better sweets or amputation? Ok so if you have Type 2, for the majority of people low carb should keep you safe.
    Anyway, to end on a happier note the sun is shining and all is well. Have a good weekend.

on

V I think we are both so much the better for low carbing and thankful to Dr’s Mosley and Unwin and Prof. Taylor.

About 3 years ago when he was about 13 my grandson was a bit embarrassed by me dancing around in public and asked me why I didn’t behave like a normal grandma. I told him there was plenty of time for that and I was still enjoying being young at heart. I will never be ‘normal’ but I might be more like a grandma now.

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Well I was off plan for my meal out, but it was also pretty much what I thought I would have, the online menu being a bit different to the actual menu! However it was flexible eating not cheating, and enjoyable. I have only put on 1/2 lb so am quite happy with that.😄

• posted by Verano
    on

Elle-Mae we all indulge in a little flexible eating now and again and that’s fine because unlike ‘cheating’ flexible eating doesn’t lead to a landslide of carbs!
    S-g ‘normal’ what’s that! If we were ‘normal’ we’d never have embarked on this crazy ‘‘experiment’ way back when. You may be more like a ‘grandma’ now but never give up dancing!

• posted by HopefulinOz
    on

I hope you are all well. Wendy, I hope the trip is going wonderfully.
    SG – sorry to hear the scan results weren’t great, but at least you are getting some answers. You and Verano are both inspirational in how you have changed your health long-term.
    I have decided to make 2 big changes. The first involves upping my calories to between 950-1000 per day (still keeping carbs to 20g or less). I just find I get too hungry, and that makes me far more likely to eat off plan. It seems a lot more sustainable if I can go through the day without feeling really hungry, and whilst my weight loss will no doubt slow down, ‘slow and steady’ beats ‘fast but miserable’ for me 😉 The 2nd change is that I have decided to quit my job/career. I have been unhappy in this line of work for at least 5 years (probably more like 10), and it is high stress, often having a big impact on my mental health. It is all I have ever done, but I have decided to leave at the end of this year. I’m not sure what, exactly, I will do for work yet, but we can get by on my husbands wage until I find something a little more enjoyable. I am feeling really good about it and excited for the future.
    Anyway, I hope you all had a lovely weekend, and that those of you in the northern hemisphere are thoroughly enjoying the sun because it is bitterly cold here at the moment 🥶 xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Morning /evening everyone !
    I’m still in sunny Brighton but leaving for the Midlands later today. We are all converging there..from Paris and Australia as I write this and hopefully planes will be on time etc. It really is happening and I am buzzing with excitement !
    Tomorrow there is a big family gathering and to be honest I am not worrying about food…just want to hug my boys !
    Brighton is fab though…we have had a lovely weekend and the weather is great. Nothing like as intense as France.
    SG I have been thinking of you ,you know that. Trust in the docs who will sort out what is going on

Hopeful if you have been unhappy in your job for so long then you have definitely made the right decision. Work is a big part of our lives and it’s important that we can flourish in that time and not be miserable. It’s not all about money and if you can manage in the meantime before you find something more fulfilling that is great. It will all work out,Hopeful 😙😙

It gets light so early in the UK…I am ready to get up now .More later !

on

Hi all,

Elle-Mae, being flexible with our choices is super helpful for keeping us on plan. No guilt no worries.

Wendy, so glad you are enjoying the UK and we are sending you some very hot weather to make you feel like you are still at home. We are hitting 35 / 38 each day and keeping shuttered up indoors. I do manage a swim if I get in early enough after breakfast.

Hopeful, I do envy you giving up your job. It is the right decision and I spent years hating every day until they nearly drove me to a breakdown. I wish I had had the courage to just walk away, which I did in the end. Always worrying about money and hubby was not that supportive and wanted me to keep working. I ended up going off sick and finally packed it in when we were certain we were coming here to France. Good for you.

I have been for blood tests this morning and hubby went into the cardio to get wired up for the day. We are a right pair of old wrecks.

I will be setting up another week later today. See you over there.

• posted by RubyG
    on

I’m back!
    I’ve been on holidays for just over 2 weeks, and sorry I haven’t caught up on all the posts yet, but for those facing uncertainties/issues/challenges – my thoughts are with you. It does seem that the world is all shook up at the moment, in so many ways, without our own personal struggles on top of it, so look after yourselves and take every day as it comes.
    I weighed after the first 10 days and was 12st 7.0lb – EEK! A few days of super-focus low carb, 16:8 TRE and low cal got me back to 12st 2.2lb, and today (first day back to work) I was back up to 12st 7.0lb – we have eaten out quite a lot, and alcohol has been consumed, but I feel like I’m OK with this and when I am in a routine I know what to do to drop the weight again. After some refined carbs the past 3 days I am hoping that a lot of the 7.0lb is water weight and started today with a 16:8 TRE, cold meat and salad lunch, and will be chicken breast and salad for supper.
    Hubby is odd – in hot weather he gets hungrier than usual, even though he is also drinking much more water! I am the opposite, and my appetite is down (makes a change for me), so I am generally eating 2 meals to his 3, which is not a bad thing.
    Giving up work – I am envious! I was promoted in January (a job I wanted, so I can’t complain) but the job I took and the job I have are not quite the same thing now and I am mostly not enjoying it anymore. Unfortunately, the holiday hasn’t helped, it has just amplified my discontent, but I am also realistic enough to realise that my holiday was only possible on my salary, so walking away is not an option at the moment. On the plus side, I am not comfort eating with stress.

Keep on keeping on as S-G would say, you are an inspiration to us all.

on

Hi RubyG, nice to have you back. You will soon be back in the swing of it and losing your gains.

Dont know what is going on with me but I lost a whole pound in one day then put on a quarter and today another quarter. And honest truth I have not eaten anything off plan and have been swimming every day. Maybe it is that old chestnut of having gained muscle 🙂

I have set up the next thread so I will see you all over there.

Please log in or register to post a reply.