just checking….

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by feverdiva
    on

Hi everyone, read the book today andfound it interesting and well written. I’m not diabetic and my sugar levels are fine BUT i’m overweight and apple shaped. I’ve done original 5:2 withno problem but can’tseem to shift the podge around my middle, istheblood sugar diet a better option for me?

• posted by Celsa
    on

I’m not diabetic either, just a bit overweight, and I read the book and started eating the Mediterranean style diet and the weight has been dropping off very steadily (3.7kg since 29/01. BMI now 27.2). I don’t count calories because I don’t have the patience for it, and I’m not aiming for 800 calories a day anyway, but just cutting out refined starchy carbs and eating more veg and full fat dairy instead seems to be the big difference. And the food keeps me fuller a lot longer (swapping my morning toast for an egg and tomato has been a huge help!) I rarely feel the need to snack. Also my nightly reflux, which seemed to be triggered by starches or sugars has almost completely gone.
    I can’t be very active at the moment because of a foot injury, but once that’s sorted and I’m back to walking long distances and a bit of running I will up my carb intake a little for the calories I’ll need.

So, I recommend the book for the diet suggestions even if you’re not diabetic or prediabetic!

• posted by Pat.Unlimited
    on

I’ve seen a few people on these forums mention the improvement with acid reflux. Mine disappeared overnight. No big surprise – I know I have it when I eat crap and don’t when I don’t! That said, I hadn’t specifically made the link with starchy carbs, but there does seem to be a connection.

• posted by feverdiva
    on

Thanks Celsa, I’m going to give it a go starting on Monday (cos that’s the law isn’t it?). Not sure I’ll do a full 8 weeks, but coincidentally I go on hols in 8 weeks…think I’ll do the 800cal thing until my weight’s down where it should be & then adjust. My other half is Spanish so you’d think the M diet would be easy but he’s a total carb fiend! If it’s white, sweet or stodgy he loves it (probably explains why he’s with me!)

Please log in or register to post a reply.