Just been diagnosed :-(

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by LizJaeger
    on

Hi chaps

So I had a call from my GP a few hours ago telling me my blood sugar was ridiclously high and that I should make work of getting things moving along. I’m having another blood test done in 2 weeks time so he can establish if the Type 2 diabetes is an actual diagnosis he can label me with.

When I saw him last week he recced Dr. Mosley’s book to me and it only arrived in paperback yesterday. I had however bought it via kindle too and so I spent time reading it over the past few days. The paperback means I can stick notes in everywhere, especially the recipes at the back.

I’m really quite shaken by the whole thing, I won’t lie. I didn’t think I’d get the tap on the shoulder. I did think that the fact that I have been on a low carb diet these past two months would have made a difference but apparently I am doing something wrong somewhere along the line. Maybe I am not being as strict as I should be? Bearing that in mind, I am sitting here making a shopping list and being realistic about what foods I like and enjoy and will actually eat. Has anyone done anything similar? Drawn up a shopping list using the menus in the books?

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Welcome LizJaeger — well, you’ve landed in the right place. I’m sorry for the possible diagnosis but from all the experiences here, you have a very good shot at reversing this, especially because it is a new diagnosis. I did not use any recipe from the book — I just made simple meals of salad, veg, meats like fish, chicken and beef, eggs, cheese — all full-fat and I didn’t even try to do the pancakes or breads — I just gave them up. It was easier that way and simpler for my busy schedule. You will find your own perfect system as you move on — keep us posted! Lots of support here.

• posted by Bissell
    on

I started by following the recipes and meal plans in the book pretty much to the letter. This was easy enough for me because I have only myself to cook for and I like to have the responsibility taken out of my hands! If it said 2 tablespoons of something I used two tablespoons. After a fortnight I began adapting recipes and counting calories and I found that worked too. If I had started off by making my own meal plans I might not have been so structures; I know my guestimations are often wildly out! But it’s whatever works for you. I’m on week 7 now and have averaged 3lbs a week after the initial 7lbs in the first week, so it’s definitely working for me! I feel great and in control and, more importantly, as if this is a new lifestyle for me.
    So don’t despair, it IS possible and doable and enjoyable. Best of luck!

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Can I also advise that it’s really helpful getting an app such as MyFitnessPal (free) because not only can you keep a record of what you’re eating but you can also see the breakdown of the food into (good) carbs, fat and protein.

You can then make sure you’re getting enough fat (which fills you up) and if you also restrict your carbs – many people here stick on 50g per day or less – you will see both weight loss, reduction in measurements, and also (hopefully) reduction in blood sugar measurements.

I bought some Ketostix (available on line) which with a simple test show whether you are burning fat.

As Californiagirl says, lots of help here, ask questions if you need to.

Good luck!

• posted by Bubblesdevere
    on

A warm welcome Liz Jaeger!

I too am newly diagnosed type 2 and determined to shift over half my body weight! Don’t lose heart – you just need to be armed with the right information which the book and this website will give you. You will be in control, not your diabetes. After the initial shock you will live with it and work with it. The people on the forums are warm, supportive and willing to share their tips, recipes, successes and temporary setbacks.

Things will get better and life will be better too when your sugar is under control.

XXX

• posted by Jackie WilsonSaid
    on

LIzJaeger,
    Sympathies for the shock of diagnosis – same here, since I did lots of exercise and thought that was enough. Once I accepted it I found some relief, in that I’d not felt that great for some months without explanation. So, after the second result of 48 Hb1Ac, I set about fixing it.

I started drawing up a shopping list from the book, but found it simpler at first to follow[ish] the menu plan. The recipes appear complicated since they involve different ingredients to ‘normal’ but are very quick to prepare and tastier than you might think. I began to relish the differences after a while. I found for the first 4 weeks, that I needed some structure before I ‘got it’. The motivation of seeing the weight drop off helped. The recipes made me try new food/drink combinations and adapt to single, filling meals.

Now week 10 and adopting a changed but less strict approach – satisfied with no weight gain for a while as I adjust, and following 25lbs loss. It was only by trying to stick to the plan that I realised my habits, with frequent snacking and good food, but with lots of unacknowledged carbs [from porridge/toast to sandwiches to pasta and alcoholic treats]. If I had just stuck to my favourites I don’t think I would have been challenged or changed so much. As well, much of the benefit is a refreshed attitude and outlook. This involved embracing the process: understanding the science, doing a more concentrated exercise regime, and meditating for increased awareness e.g., mindful eating.

• posted by BSD
    on

WOW your GP mentioned Dr Mosley – Very Impressed.

I was also shocked, as a vegetarian, thought I ate healthy. December I had a second test & told Hb1Ac was 69, after 3 months had a test now 38 and not labelled Diabetic. I got a machine to check my blood levels twice daily – I wanted to know if what I was doing was working and within the first week there was a major difference. I also got a Fitbit to track everything. I followed the book recipes to the letter, at first it felt like all I was doing was preparing food for the day and next day and spending loads of time in the kitchen. After a while you get the hang of it and you get used to the recipes you like (the cheese scone & muffin – is something to avoid though).

5 months on I have bought the 5:2 diet recipe book and doing the (500 calories once/twice a day – Now that’s hard), but still being a bit of a control freak as I don’t want to go back.

All the very best and ask questions or do a search in the top box of the page, because I can bet some one has already asked it and loads will have replied – all very supportive here.

Please log in or register to post a reply.