Just about weight loss???

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by dinatale
    on

Does this diet work to reverse diabetes for underweight people who have pre-diabetes?
    My understanding is that the diet is not only about losing weight, but also about clearing out excess fat from the liver/pancreas so that the body can produce insulin more effectively . 
    I would much prefer to lose a bit more weight temporarily, and reverse my pre-diabetes than be too scared to risk weight loss. I am very healthy otherwise. However I only want to do this IF the calorie restriction is not just about weight loss (because obviously weight is not my issue, something else is…)

• posted by Britta
    on

Hi dinatale
    I’m way out of my comfort zone here but I’d suggest reading the blood sugar diet book to begin with. Its a while since i read it, but I’m pretty sure it will answer some of those questions. If you follow an 800 calorie diet you will lose weight, so that might not be the route for you. But you will probably benefit a lot from just following the BSD diet but on more calories – so stay low carb, but without the calorie restriction. So as well as getting hold of the book, a trawl through the forum categories “BSD Med Style low carb” and “BSD way of life” rather than the 800 calorie focused threads i think would help.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi dinatale. Glad you have found the BSD 800 for your pre-diabetes. If you do the 800 cals you are bound to lose some weight but not necessarily a lot as you don’t have much to spare. To rid yourself of the pre-T2 you will have to put up with it for a few weeks. You are right about the loss of visceral fat around the pancreas and liver to shock the body into reversing the T2. As you are only pre diabetic you have an excellent chance of this working. After a few weeks of very low cal and getting rid of the carbs you might very well be okay to increase your calories, but please keep away from the white carbs. Dr M talks about people who are TOFI’s which is Thin Outside Fat Inside and they are still carrying around dangerous visceral fat while on the outside looking thin or slim. Give it a try and see if you can get re-tested fairly soon. But like Britta says, just losing the carbs from your diet will be of great benefit. If you lose a bit of weight you can always put it back on again when you get the T2 under control.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi Dinatale
    I also think it will work for you. I’ve certainly read on here of people who’ve had pre-diabetes and reversed it. I’ve also read on other (diabetes) sites of people reversing their diabetes and pre-diabetes while not losing weight – they’ve focused on maintaining calories but reducing carbs as Britta says.
    I did a mix of the Blood Sugar Diet and reducing my carbs, put my Type II diabetes into remission and reversed my fatty liver – it really is great how it works. Also, a couple of years ago I put 2 stone back on but I kept low carb and my blood sugars remained in the normal range and during that weight gain period my hba1c only increased by 1 from 35 to 36.
    My two tips would be
    as well as reducing your carbs, if you can try to avoid eating between meals, or maybe don’t eat after your evening meal until breakfast. You’re trying to reduce your insulin levels and every time you eat your body releases insulin, so by leaving periods where you’re not eating helps to lower your insulin levels.
    also, I’d keep a track of how many carbs you’re eating on average each day (you can use a food tracker like fatsecret.co.uk or myfitnesspal). Then, when you get re-tested if your hba1c isn’t as low as you’d like you can reduce the number of carbs you’re having just a little bit more. But as Britta and sunshine-girl say you may not need to do too much more than cutting out the major white carbs for it to work.
    Oh, a third and main tip – start by doing what you can as you can – the most important thing is that this woe is ‘stickable-with’ . OK, and on that word I better stop writing!
    Keep posting and do let us know how you get on.
    Jennie xx

• posted by dinatale
    on

Thank you! This is helpful!

• posted by dinatale
    on

This is super helpful – thank you! Its reassuring to get some confirmation about the fat around the liver. I definitely want to give this a go!

• posted by dinatale
    on

So good that you were able to reverse your fatty liver. I’m hoping to do the same! Thanks for the advice 🙂

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

dinatale, I reduced the fat around my liver. My triglycerides were so high my doctor thought i must be an alcoholic (I’m not) they are now down to lower than normal. Cholesterol used to be around 7.2 and is now 4.0. All down to good fats and lots of veg and lean proteins. I use butter but as there is no bread or potatoes to put it on I use only a small amount in cooking, i.e. scrambled eggs, I use full fat yoghurt because it is the chemicals in the low fat versions that mess up your liver as your liver doesnt know how to process them but it knows how to process real fats. The list goes on, full fat cheese but only in small amounts, just had ploughmans for lunch with 50g of full fat Cheddar. My doctor still doesnt believe it and tests me every 3 months along with my HbA1c. Normally he test cholesterol and triglycerides once a year. Four years now and I have cut statins from 40 mg to 10 mg but I only take that amount ‘just in case’ being at high risk of stroke etc. Give it a go, honesty it will surprise you.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Post by Carterjb20 reported as spam

Please log in or register to post a reply.