I've just started low carbing

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Paul318
    on

Hi everyone,

I have had type 2 diabetes for about 8 years. Generally, my blood sugar levels haven’t been too bad, but this Tuesday I went for my annual diabetes review. My HbA1c was up to 76 mmol/mol (it’s usually in the 50s) and the nurse said I’d need to go on another diabetes medication. I have 4 metformin tablets a day, although I have to admit I often forget the 2 in the morning. I thought I was doing reasonably well. I had been trying to lose weight during the previous 12 weeks and was being careful about what I was eating, and had been swimming 500 metres twice a week. So I was surprised when she said my HbA1c was so high. I decided I needed to do something about it. I came across The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet book online after my appointment, and although I hadn’t read it right through, I decided to cut carbs from my diet.

At the moment, all I’ve done is to stop eating pasta, rice, bread, potatoes, cakes and baked products, sweets (which I rarely ate), high sugar fruit like bananas and even the porridge (not the processed stuff) I used to have for breakfast which was spiking my blood sugar even though I didn’t add sugar to it. I’m not sure I’m down to the 800 calorie mark, but I think I’m close to it.

Since Wednesday my blood sugar levels have been dropping. The first blood test I did before breakfast on the morning I changed my diet was 9.7 ; this morning I measured it and it’s down to 5.8! I am really pleased and motivated to continue with this. My only problem with the book is most of the recipes are reasonably complicated and some of the ingredients are expensive when you are on a tight budget. So I’m having to adapt things to suit me. I’m okay with that but it’s much more difficult to be certain that I’m keeping things in the 800 calorie range. I guess I must be doing something right as there is no doubt my blood sugar has dropped dramatically.

Paul

• posted by Lauryloo
    on

I’m on a budget too!

Don’t forget Omelettes are a great way to have a cheap and tasty dinner! And making things in bulk and freezing them is a great way to save money and time. You can buy those foil trays from any supermarket and freeze your food in them, then you can just put them in the oven as and when. 🙂
    I try to go for cheaper things like tuna where I can. I put tinned salmon in the Thai fishcakes as it was a lot cheaper than white fish. Some herbs and things that are obscure in recipes I just leave out and they are still delicious 🙂 best of luck x

• posted by Paul318
    on

Thank you for the tips.

I have been having scrambled eggs for breakfast with a rasher of bacon mixed in it or mushrooms. For lunch half a tin of tuna, lettuce, tomatoes, and peppers with a tablespoonful of french dressing and in the evening meat with no potatoes, rice, pasta etc, but with plenty of green vegetables and some carrots. I also have a few nuts if I get peckish. For dessert, I have sugar free jelly with berries and 2 tablespoons of full-fat yogurt.

I tend to eat much the same for my breakfasts and lunches. Any variety I have is usually had as my main evening meal.

• posted by Frog
    on

Well done Paul – it’s worth sticking with it. Definitely do this before you succumb to any new medication!

I haven’t followed the recipe books or food plans at all – just as you have, cut out the simple carbs – it does work just as well without investing in expensive ingredients.
    I think many people have said they end up spending less on food, because there are so many supermarket aisles they miss out, no takeaways, etc.

The one thing I would recommend getting is a spiraliser, I love mine, and it’s got me eating lots more vegetables. I started with a ‘pencil sharpener’ type one, and recently replaced with a larger Salter one for £12 (and have seen a similar model, unknown brand, for £10 recently)

Eggs are brilliant for breakfast – if you do want to continue having occasional porridge (I dropped it easily in summer, but now it’s getting colder….) one method that reduces the GI that causes glucose spikes is soaking the whole oats overnight.
    I don’t understand the chemistry behind it, but was told about it by a nutritionist about 20 years ago – long before I had diabetes (I don’t any more, reversed and normal range HbA1c results) The other pluses are that the oats get really smooth and creamy, no need to add any milk, sugar or other sweetener.

You’ll see people raving about berries a lot on these forums – great with oats, yogurt (plain yogurt is very cheap, huge litre tubs for around £1 at some supermarkets, just make sure you get the full fat one) most supermarkets sell huge bags of frozen mixed berries (tesco £3 for a kilo) – 50g is quite a lot, so 15p a portion.

• posted by Paul318
    on

My wife and I usually go shopping on a Saturday morning. I don’t breakfast before we go and usually have a latte and a scone at the cafe when we’ve finished shopping. I know a latte is 150 calories, so today I had a cup of tea instead, which is about 25 calories. As I hadn’t had breakfast I thought I’d have a cheese scone, once a week won’t do any harm and a cheese scone is better than one with raisins, or so I thought. I have just checked my blood sugar an hour and a half after eating it and it’s up to 12.9! That is frightening. Definitely no more carbs like this for me, even as an occasional treat. That was a wake-up call to keep clear of them.

• posted by Paul318
    on

Thanks, Frog. I’ll look into getting spiraliser. Interesting about soaking oats overnight. I was having porridge because I thought unprocessed oats were complex carbs so it shouldn’t have spiked my blood sugar, unfortunately, it did. I may try soaking them. But I think I’ll stick to eggs for a while until I know I have things under control.

I have bought some frozen berries and plain yogurt.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

The Salter ones are £10 each in Morrisons at the moment. Can’t work out whether I would actually use it……

• posted by Iwanttobeslim
    on

When I was first diagnosed with diabetes I thought, oh yes, just avoid sugary things. It was devestating to learn that refined flour (i.e. yummy cheese scones etc) rice, pasta and, to a lesser degree, fruit were all about to send my blood sugar soaring. The hospital deemed white bread and similar as suitable for diabetics. Well done NHS. They told me to regulate my blood sugar with insulin. That meant the “experts” expected me to eat carbs which made my blood sugar soar, and counteract this with insulin which made me get very fat. They then told me obese was bad, and I must lose weight, BUT I still must eat carbs and inject insulin, the very regime which made me expand. Is it any wonder that people with diabetes tend to get depressed sometimes. This diet has provided me with the tools to keep my BS down and also lose weight. Some sense at last!

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

In terms of budget, I find that if I plan it doesn’t cost so much as I only buy what I need, so less food wastage means I don’t waste money. Also I make more food now and spend a lot less on pre-prepared lunches in particular. I also bought a few spices, which I use to add variety to some of the more bland vegetables. As you only use a little, they last for ages.

On a similar experience to Paul, I made chicken and prawn fajitas for tea and looked at the tortillas – a staggering amount of carbs. I had the old standby of romaine!

I also soak jumbo oats and they make a very quick and tasty porridge, but I probably only have it once a week.

• posted by Fairyface
    on

I hate porridge, so I have not had oats only in shop bought muslie. Can I ask a question please?
    I have seen recipe’s for overnight oats, made with yoghurt and fruit Is this possible on the BSD?

• posted by AnnieW
    on

It is possible – most things are – as long as that are counted 😀. I occasionally have it for lunch (I make it around 0730 and eat it around 1300). I use about 12gms of oats, up to 100gms Fage yoghurt, grated apple, cinnamon 80gms of frozen berries. Maybe some chia seeds and flaked almonds or a few other nuts. I don’t eat breakfast so the highish cals and carbs are very doable.

• posted by AnnieW
    on

It is possible – most things are – as long as they are counted 😀. I occasionally have it for lunch (I make it around 0730 and eat it around 1300). I use about 12gms of oats, up to 100gms Fage yoghurt, grated apple, cinnamon, 80gms of frozen berries. Maybe some chia seeds and flaked almonds or a few other nuts. I don’t eat breakfast so the highish cals and carbs are very doable.

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Thank you AnnieW…..whats the texture like. Do the oats soak up the fruit and yoghurt?

• posted by AnnieW
    on

They do. The texture can be firm, tends to vary with what’s gone into it. (I’ve never followed an actual recipe).

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Thank you AnnieW. Might give it a try with a small amount of everything.

Please log in or register to post a reply.