Is porridge ok?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by SCW
    on

Hello 😀
    I’m just starting the BSD and planning my meals. I have planned a breakfast of approx 240 calories which is made up of:
    3 x tablespoons oats
    1 x tablespoon each of seeds, nuts
    1 x cup unsweetened almond milk
    Handful of blueberries

Is this too much carb? The other two meals will be lean protein, salad or veggies, olive oil.

Thanks so much for any advice.
    Sx

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi there, seen no-one has answered, but I only have a minute. Got visitors. First of all your breakfast as listed above is more like 400 calories. If you must eat oats (they are good carbs but still carbs) you should have no more than 20 grams, 3 tablespoons is around 45 grams, if it is a level tablespoon, lots more if it is heaped. You dont need both nuts and seeds, just one at a time. A cup of almond milk is around 60 calories and you could maybe cut that amount in half. The good news is the blueberries are okay. It seems you need to adjust your portion sizes and maybe have oats just a couple of times a week.

Sorry for the rush but I hope others will help you.

• posted by SCW
    on

Thanks sunshine-girl …hmm that’s interesting…I got all my calories from MFP…I need to decrease my oats and measure out 20g of oats and I can choose either seeds or nuts. MFP reckons a cup of non sweetened almond milk is about 38…I’m way over on cals if those numbers are wrong…

Glad I asked! Thanks for your reply sunshine girl. Much appreciated.

Sx

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Try using precise weights and measures as a tablespoon can vary from 15 grams flat to 20 grams heaped.

• posted by SCW
    on

Yes will do…good idea…thanks!

• posted by Dottydog
    on

Thanks for this post. I’m on day 1 of this journey and porridge is my usual breakfast and I was hoping to have eggs as a ‘standard’ lunch so this has made me re-think, though adding in a generous amount of good fruit and yoghurt might make a good break every now and then.
    Lots to think about, thanks for the advice on measuring

• posted by bigeater
    on

Hi Porridge is fairly high in carbs, so probably best eaten some of the time, not all of the time. Having said that, I have been eating it now and again and it hasn’t interfered with my weightloss. Fruit is also high in carbs, one piece a day is plenty and best to stick to berries or an apple. Hope this helps
    Bigeater

• posted by stringbreaker
    on

Hi,

I’ve lost over 40lbs on the BSD and have had porage almost every morning. Porage is GOOD carbs as it’s low GI (as long as you make it from proper rolled oats and not an “instant pour on hot water” type.)

My recipe:

30 gms rolled oats
    210 mls liquid (about 2/3 water, 1/3 milk)
    a few items of dried fruit
    half a teaspoon of honey.

It’s worked for me

Good luck

• posted by Esnecca
    on

The notion of “good carbs” is fine if you don’t have blood sugar issues, but a low GI food can still cause blood sugar spikes for people who do. Dried fruit and honey are basically indistinguishable from sugar, so as someone who is insulin resistant, I wouldn’t touch either of them with a ten foot pole. Even for people who don’t have blood sugar problems, high carb foods, including slow release or low-GI ones, can slow down weight loss.

Congratulations on your great results, but it would be a mistake, I think, to extrapolate your success into a general principle. Different bodies respond very differently to the same inputs.

• posted by stringbreaker
    on

Hi Esnecca,

I’m sorry, I should have made it clear that I am working from the perspective of one who is very fortunate in having no know medical conditions directly linked to food (bar a general excess 🙂 I hope I have not misdirected anyone on that front.

For me, porage is a good, filling start to the day that keeps me going all morning and allows me to tolerate a very light lunch. I acknowledge that has a fair slug of carbs, but I take this into account in the rest of my food for the day. I’m pretty much on maintenance now; when I was losing at full tilt I used skimmed milk.

Just to set the record straight, I have worked it all out.

Porage (30 gms) 111 kCals and 19 Carbs
    Milk, full fat (actually, just 50 ml now I’ve meaasured it) 33 kCals and 2.3 Carbs
    Honey ( 3 ml) 7 kCals and 2.2 Carbs
    Dried fruit (raisins) 4 gms 11kCals and 2.7 Carbs

(I also add a little grated nutmeg and cinnamon but guess that these only have trace elements of anything)

I make that a total of 162 kCals and 26 carbs (half the daily carbs “allowance”)

Hope that makes things clear, and allows folk to “extrapolate” according to their own personal circumstances.

Onwards and downwards,

John

Please log in or register to post a reply.