Is my BS Too high ? Help n advice sought

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Hello checked my BS today four hours after lunch (chicken salad) just before dinner 6 pm and my BS was 7.3.
    I stopped all pills weeks ago but do not know if 7.3 is considered high or not ?
    Any ideas folks Alan

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

So 7.3 before dinner 7.9 couple hours after
    Not good ?
    Alan ,opinion welcome (off meds now,my decision)

• posted by thepolly
    on

Hi Alanhypno, page 122 in the book gives these BS ranges

Normal 3.9 to 5.5 mmol/l (70 to100 mg/dl)
    Pre-Diabetic 5.6 to 7.0 mmol/l (101 to 125 mg/dl)
    Diabetic more than 7.0 mmol/l (125 mg/dl)

so going by that you are in the diabetic range.

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Many thanks for that info thepolly I should have looked back in the book !
    Now because of this should I go back on metformin or see my 8 weeks out
    Alan week 7 two stone off

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Well folks I’m into week 7 and weight has been dramatic two stone from my 20 stone frame I’m very very happy
    Now turn my attention to my blood sugar , as mentioned I came off metformin and another pill weeks ago
    I’m into the late seven range on readings down to 7.2
    But do I have to re start pills again which I don’t want ?
    So I intend to go back to basics till end of eight weeks re evaluate diet obliterate any sugar intake then re asses
    Alan only a little mixed up 🤔

• posted by Frog
    on

congratulations Alanhypno – two stones in less than two months is amazing!
    No advice on your meds, maybe make an appointment to see your GP or diabetic nurse after such a drastic weight loss?

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Weird stuff this BS
    6.1 before lunch 8.5 two n half hours later,and a one hour walk too !

Feel like eating cake then chocolate drown my sorrows 😱

Alan 7 weeks in ,thinking my bs won’t change 😱

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Sooo on the scales this morning
    End of week 7
    This week I dropped four yes 4 pounds
    Start weight 20-00 stone now 17-9lb
    Think I’ll celebrate with huge English breakfast mmmm

Sadly my bs not coming down as quick 6.1 before last nights dinner couple hours later 8.5

Alan happy sad !

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

BS STILL HIGH
    So into week nine couple stone lighter BUT my bs fasting was 7-2 and two hours after my big breakfast 7-7 ,and now taking all metformin four a day.
    Back to drawing board ?
    Alanhypno little dispondant ,any advice

• posted by OzVeggy
    on

Hi Alan,
    Are you counting your carbs? I think you could maybe focus on those to try and get them as low as you can. If you have had diabetes for a while you might need to have a little patience to allow your insulin levels and pancreatic function to return to a more normal function.
    Your weight loss is fantastic… and that has to be helping at a cellular level. Have you had an HbA1c blood test? If so, then hopefully next reading will show improvement of your glycemic control over time, despite the higher than ideal BGLs.
    Don’t give up… this is life saving stuff!

• posted by Sassie
    on

Enjoy the weight loss. You are doing fantastically well. Stop taking your blood sugar so often. It is undermining your positivity around the weight loss. Your blood sugars are not amazingly high and you should be proud of your achievement. Keep up the good work.

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Thanks for all help
    Week 10 and am carrying on with more exercise as this was lacking in first 9 weeks
    Maybe this will help my BS?

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Alan, keep on keeping on, you are doing fine. Exercise will make you feel better generally, so is worthwhile doing even if it doesn’t have a direct effect on BS.

Have you experimented with non-fasting BS and read the threads (particularly from Bill1954) about the unreliability of fasting BS first thing in the morning, as this is apparently notoriously up and down, and not necessarily indicative of your overall daily BS?

Please log in or register to post a reply.