Is butternut squash OK?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Patsy
    on

I sometimes use pureed butternut squash to thicken soups and sauces, believing it’s a better option than flour or cornflour. Am I kidding myself?

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Patsy – raw butternut squash is 45cals/11.7g carbs per 100g. Assuming you are not using large amounts, it should be okay.

By comparison, cornflour is 357cals and 88carbs per 100g, but you would only need to use a very little as a thickening agent. Another option would be almond flour, although this gives a slightly granular finish to a sauce, but again although it’s 571cals and 21.4g carbs per 100g, you don’t need a lot.

Thing to do is work out what quantity of the food stuff you would need to achieve the thickening, work out the cals and carbs and decide which has least impact.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Pureed cauliflower might do the trick. It certainly thickens very nicely in its own soups. I use a plant gum thickener when I make gravy, certain dressings and mayonnaise. Zero carbs, no taste, you don’t have to make a slurry or heat it or really do anything at all but whisk it in and watch the magic happen. I haven’t tried it on soups, though.

• posted by Patsy
    on

Thanks, SunnyB.

I don’t think the squash is saving me any carbs overall then – but it does have some fibre ad vitamins, so perhaps it’s a good choice once I get to the maintenance stage.

Can you suggest a good place to look up how much carbohydrate there are in different foods?

• posted by Patsy
    on

Thanks, Esnecca. Cauliflower is out, both my husband and I detest it! I can imagine it would work well though for those who do like it.

I’ve never used plant gum before. If it works for gravy I’m sure it would work for soup. I’ll have a look out for it.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Patsy – I mostly use calorieking.com and if the food isn’t recognised (it’s an American site so doesn’t recognise some English terms) I go to nutracheck.co.uk instead. Hope that helps.

• posted by Patsy
    on

Thanks both of you!

• posted by rbd7
    on

There is another thickener you might consider: tapioca flour. It has 3 cals/.9carbs(less than 1)/gram. It is extremely absorbent, so you would use very few grams, and has no flavor or particular texture (unlike the pudding). Bob’s Red Mill also sells it: http://www.bobsredmill.com/shop/flours-and-meals/tapioca-flour.html

• posted by Patsy
    on

Thanks, rbd7.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

You could use a teaspoon of chia seeds. Soak them in a bit of water first and they will plump out and turn to jelly.

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Reported organicseeds as possible spam

Please log in or register to post a reply.