Is anyone else starting a second cycle of eight weeks around now?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by cleona
    on

I am just starting today after a week off due to family visiting, and generally just wanting a few treats after the first eight weeks. But I can honestly say that this has changed me for the long haul – I’ve lost 11kg in the first 8 weeks (I started on 1 March), from 92.3 kg (14 stone 7.5) down to 81.5 (12st 13). My goal for this time is to get down to 70kg (11 stone). Beyond the weight loss though, I definitely feel clearer headed, and am amazed that I just don’t get so hungry as I used to. I also really like all the recipes in the book.
    I have two small children and work full time, so my exercise basically consists of doing a pilates or yoga dvd once or twice a week, although I am trying to start doing arms and bum/thighs exercises.

If there’s anyone out there who’s starting again, it would be lovely to have some company!

• posted by victoriaplump
    on

Hi, Cleona. I’m starting the BSD from this Wednesday (10th May) for 8 weeks, if that’s any help? I’ve been doing the 5:2 (and often the 4:3) with virtually no weightloss and think that my system is so stubborn that I need to do the BSD first. I think my body is confused by fast days and non-fast days. I’ve got a lot of weight to lose (at least 3.5 st!) and 44. I’m a part-time teacher with a 9 year old and I try to make myself go to the gym a couple of times a week but, I don’t enjoy it in the slightest!!! Sometimes do a Davina McCaul HIIT dvd.

• posted by cleona
    on

I tried the 5:2 a few years ago before I got pregnant with my son, and I lost a bit, but didn’t do it for long enough to really see the long terms affect. I think this is easier to follow though – or certainly it would be easier to do the 5:2 after doing this, as it changes your whole perception of food. I wouldn’t really dread the fast days any more but also probably wouldn’t go mental on the normal days. I am amazed by being able to not have breakfast as I was the type of person who was always ravenous by 10:30am if I didn’t eat. I did have a bit of a plateau after a few weeks which I think (from reading these forums) is quite normal. Well – good luck!

on

Several years ago, I lost 2 stone doing Diet Chef then I went low carb and lost a further 1.5 stone. Diet Chef really wasn’t a long-term solution (and I came to really dislike it and dread it and started cheating in the last week) but it definitely shrank my stomach, so when I switched to low carb meditteranean, I lost more and maintained a good weight for over 18 months. If I hadn’t had a personal disaster (which made me miserable and I started eating more and eating carbs for comfort and ‘filling the hole’), I would probably be fine now. I am hoping that the 800 calories a day for 8 weeks will have the same effect as the Diet Chef did. Basically, shrinking my stomach and therefore, my appetite so that the 5:2 works better after my body has experienced a new norm. That’s the theory! 8 weeks seems like a long time but it only includes 8 weekends.
    I’m actually on a fast day today (on the 5:2) and I don’t really feel hungry until about 11.30/12. My difficult time is the evenings. I just want to pick at stuff. Constantly thinking about food. But in the morning, I really don’t!
    You did really well in your first 8 weeks! I think you’re very brave going for another 8!!! Fantastic will-power. That’s my big worry – lack a of resilience!!!!! Good luck to you too!

• posted by cleona
    on

Good luck to you too Victoria! I promise you, I have literally almost no willpower, and I had been really bad with biscuits and cakes before I started this diet. But somehow after the first few days I think not having any sugar and starchy carbs, it just reprogrammed me. I won’t lie, I could happily scoff a huge slice of cake right now (particularly this 5pm afternoon pre-dinner period is hard) but I found myself craving more bready things, and when I did eat pizza last week I realised that afterwards I actually didn’t feel too great. I actually was quite pleased to start it again.
    Another thing which keeps me going when I feel like falling off the wagon is looking at ”weightloss before and after” photos on pinterest!!

on

I didn’t realise there were ‘before and after weightloss’ shots on pinterest! Well, anything that motivates you is good! I will try it! I feel quite daunted at the prospect of 800 a day for 8 weeks though. I think I’ve gone over my 500 today (doing 5:2). Not good. But perhaps 800 is slightly more manageable. I have the BSD diet book and I tried a recipe ages ago from it which is now a firm favourite for me and for my 9 year old boy – the banana pancake (one mashed banana mixed with 2 eggs then chucked in frying pan). He refuses to eat anything else for breakfast now! I drizzle a little honey on for him and add blueberries. But even on its own, I really like it. 295 calories but a good way to start the day. I think I’ll go with a v low cal soup for lunch and then some salad/cooked veg and chicken/fish for the evening. I’ve discovered that the Covent Garden Roast Tomato Soup is 87 calories per half carton if I get hacked off with boring miso soup. I am a complete teapot though. I will have to measure out 100 mls of semi-skimmed milk for my tea for each day. Think that’s 50 calories – how depressing?!
    I would say I’m addicted to bread which is one of the hardest things to wean myself off. That’s the problem with having soup – it seems quite disappointing without a nice slice of bread!!! Did you find anything really low in calories that was tasty and filling when you did it before?

• posted by cleona
    on

Yes the weightloss pics are great! Not all through the BSD of course, but just seeing the transformations which are possible is pretty inspiring.

In terms of the BSD book, our favourite recipe is the one for smoked haddock which is with a creamy mustardy sauce and on a bed of spinach. We don’t get smoked haddock here in Italy, so we just have it with cod, but it’s really delish and my husband is not a diety kind of person and likes it! If I have the time on a weekend I might have scrambled eggs, but usually I have a full fat greek yoghurt which is delicious and seems very indulgent. I used to eat half and apple with some nut butter, but then the shop ran out of the Whole Earth sugar free nut butter, so I had to stop that ๐Ÿ™ For lunch I generally have a bit of chicken or fish with some veg (from our canteen), or lunch with friends I just try to go for the closest I imagine to protein + veg (btw I’m still breastfeeding a bit…not much as my daughter’s 14 months and eats like a horse, but it gives me a bit of leeway I suppose). For snacks I have a few nuts, and if I’m in a real rush and can’t have breakfast then I do like a bit of cheese with smoked salmon. Oh, also there’s a lovely lentil, carrot and orange salad in the book which I make but add some fried halloumi, which we have quite often for dinner. And do you have a spiralizer? A friend lent me hers and it’s great for making faux spaghetti, which is good if the kids are eating actual spaghetti.

I personally have found that as i’ve gone on, I get less hungry in the mornings, so I don’t have breakfast until later and later, and sometimes I realise it’s half eleven before I’m hungry, so I just keep going until lunch…then I feel I can have a few more calories in the lunch and dinner. Can you make your pancake and take it to work? Then wait till you’re really hungry and just eat a bit. You might find that as the days go on you don’t even need it as much.

• posted by cleona
    on

Btw, are you a fan of herbal teas? I do like a proper cuppa now and again, but if you switch to herbal you can drink as much as you like. I am a massive fan of yogi teas – licorice and choco are my all time favourite flavours. Much better than fruity ones I reckon. Although I saw someone here on the forum say they used the fruity flavours cold with fizzy water and it’s delicious, so I might try that.

on

Hi! I’m starting the BSD properly today so I’ve begun it with the famed banana pancake this morning! I occasionally enjoy a herbal tea but I never find it’s a great substitute for a proper cuppa. I’ve measured out 100ml of milk which will be my tea quota for the day! I sometimes squeeze a lemon and put some in a mug with boiling water. I enjoy it and a good vitamin c hit. I’m not good at drinking enough water though. Really got to up my game on that.
    I have got a spiralizer and do the spaghetti thing sometimes. I’m not really concerned about being low carb because I’ve done it before with great success. It made me eat so many more vegetables and I was always full with the protein and the veg. But I had lost a significant amount by that point and had shrunk my stomach. I think I will struggle on 800 calories for at least the first 2 weeks but I’m hoping fast results will boost my resolve. I’ve read that the average weightloss is about 2 stone in 2 months. My end date is Wednesday 5th July!!!! We’ll see….
    Where are you in Italy?! I am so jealous! I did a degree in music and Italian and lived over there for a year. I tutored in Tuscany for a month in an amazing village for a month once too.
    Is it ok to do the BSD when you’re breast-feeding? Won’t it affect the content of the milk? That said, it’s not the crucial first 6 months so perhaps it’s not an issue.

• posted by cleona
    on

How are you feeling? I am slightly red faced to say I already fell off the wagon last night, mainly due to not being prepared. Then my husband said he was getting some pizza for him and the kids, and I really did mean to make fish cakes with beans (that I saw here in the recipes), but I left it too long playing with the children, and then when I smelt the pizza I couldn’t help myself ๐Ÿ™ But today am back on top of things and determined.
    I certainly felt really inspired by the fast weight loss when I started, and everyone telling me how good I looked! Plus fitting into clothes that you haven’t been able to wear for ages is lovely. But I did have a plateau in the middle, and I found the forums here quite good for keeping me buoyed up through it.
    I live in Rome! We’ve been here for ages…since 2001 apart from two years living in Ireland. I do love it – great weather, food, history etc. When we left we really missed it, despite some aspects of Italy being a complete pain, so we came back for good. ๐Ÿ™‚ Now our children are growing up bilingual which is weird but good!
    My daughter is pretty small build but eats like a HORSE! We are continually marvelling at how much she can put away…so I don’t think she really needs the milk at all, and it’s just for comfort. I definitely wouldn’t do the BSD if I was in the earlier part…my son only wanted to bf up to 14 months, so I was initially waiting, but she showed no signs of giving up and in the end after about 13 months I just thought I’d start and see how it went. But I definitely feel less ”full” in the boob area!!

on

I’m fine but I know I’ll be struggling this evening! It’s never a problem until about 8pm!!! I’m not having the greatest time at work and I am an emotional eater. We’ve all been issued with ‘At risk’ letters at my school and I will probably have to interview for my own job next week. I’m quite likely to lose it as the school only needed to lose 1 full-time equivalent of teaching hours and a part-time teacher has handed in her notice. Moving to a new area. So, as a part-timer myself, I think I’m going to get the chop now. It was less likely before. I spent yesterday writing extensive applications for the meagre supply of part-time jobs advertised. I’m a single mum and have a mortgage to pay so this is all very stressful! So, I didn’t watch my calories yesterday. That’s why I’m starting today. Just needed to get the applications done and did whatever was required!!! I’m teaching this afternoon so will be too busy to be hungry at work. But it’s hard with a 9 year old to feed and my lovely boyfriend (who is in great shape!). Too much temptation around!!! It’s easier when the bf isn’t here but he’s good at motivating me, on the other hand. Very supportive.
    Rome – how wonderful! I had the best week of my life in Rome as a student! Went there from Verona with 3 friends who were studying with me and we barely slept. Sight-seeing all day every day and out all night for 7 days. I was 21 then and I’m 45 now but feel exactly the same! Just considerably more things to worry about…..

• posted by cleona
    on

Oh dear, so sorry to hear about the work woes. Is there any chance they might keep you so that at least there’s half the coverage? Keeping my fingers crossed for you. I am fortunate to do a job that I really like, but have been on temporary contracts for 7 years now, so I empathise with the general state of unease and lack of security. In fact partly that’s why I came to Rome in the first place…I had been in a company where there had been about a year and half of gradual lay-offs, and then finally the whole placed closed in the wake of Sept 11th…at that point I’d had enough and came here on holiday for a month…and then never left! But that’s a bit harder once you bring children and partners into the mix. Maybe you should make plans for a holiday later in the year, and use that as motivation? I’m into bullet journalling too, and there are a lot of people who make motivation ”spreads” to build up for things…like saving and weight loss…you could set aside a bit of cash for each pound lost?!

on

Bizarrely, one of the staff took voluntary redundancy yesterday – she can’t stand the chaos at my school any more! This means I won’t be made redundant but because I do a job-share with her on a Friday and another part-timer from the same year group has left, I might get dumped permanently in a year group I don’t want doing stuff I don’t want. I may still go for an interview elsewhere! At least I am ‘safe’ for the time being.
    Yesterday was fine on the diet. I’m feeling hungrier this morning than I normally do though. When I do fast days on the 5:2, I don’t do them on consecutive days so I think I will struggle a bit more today.
    I think you’re right about needing some kind of log to maintain motivation. I was using the tracker on the 5:2 site. When I log my weight, it goes on a graph and there is an opportunity to write how things are going. I’ve found it helpful so I’m going to continue with that as, annoyingly, they haven’t provided the same thing on here. Very odd! I think I’m going to be motivated enough by the onset of summer holidays to keep up the diet! My boyfriend is very fit and in great shape and I want to be the same. He loves me the way I am but actually, I am concerned about my tummy fat and it wouldn’t surprise me if I were pre-diabetic. I am definitely in the ‘obese’ category. I just need to be healthier for my little boy and for my boyfriend and to enjoy life more. When I lost loads of weight 5 years ago, I loved being able to fit into nice clothes. And I did more with my son and I felt so good about myself. I had much more confidence and positivity and these things are progressive – things tend to get better and better. How are you doing today? I’m teaching in an hour or so which takes my mind of a rumbly tummy!!! That said, 800 calories seemed quite a lot compared to the 500 I have on 5:2 fast days! I was pleasantly surprised. I think the weekends will be hard though. I am wondering whether to cut out carbs, alcohol and puddings on Saturdays and Sundays but not worry about sticking rigidly to 800 on those days. How do you find the weekends?

• posted by cleona
    on

Hi Victoria – great news re the job!!! I think it’s probably a good idea to keep looking around, but at least this gives you the chance to do it calmly ๐Ÿ™‚ And to focus on yourself a bit ๐Ÿ˜‰
    I know what you mean about cumulative benefits…I have also found that because you do lose weight quite fast, people keep congratulating you on how good you’re looking, and it definitely gives you a spring in your step, and determination to continue. I have psoriasis, and had just recently started suffering again with psoriatic arthritis, which I hadn’t had for over a decade. I don’t know whether it’s the diet, or weight loss, but i’ve definitely seen some improvements. Doing the pilates dvd has also really helped…I was thinking of signing up for that website gaia.com that’s always advertised…in the past i’ve bought diet videos and then being so irritated by the smugness (especially Elle McPherson!!!) I couldn’t do them.
    I know what you mean about weekends…I don’t go mental, but occasionally I do have a bite or two of something I really shouldn’t. For me, what with pregnancy and breastfeeding, alcohol isn’t a problem, but I crave doughy pizza and desserts. Having said that, we’re going on holiday for a few days up to France at the end of this month, and then all diet restrictions will be OFF. Just imagining all that lovely bread, cheese, wine, quiche etc. has me drooling Homer Simpson style. On that note, I am off for some lunch. All I’ve had so far is a few almonds!
    Best of luck with your hunger today. I didn’t know the 5:2 site had a weight tracker…it’s a shame it’s not here too. I just made a little handdrawn one in my tracker page. But I did get a little despondent when I hit the plateau and then saw it not moving much.

on

Hi! Sorry I haven’t replied for a few days! Non-stop.
    Have you read the 5:2 book and seen the Michael Mosely BBC programme about it? Fasting definitely seems to help reduce inflammation of all kinds and the BSD is supposed reduce your risk of all sorts of illnesses and conditions so I suspect the diet is definitely helping your psoriasis and arthritis. Poor you! The meditteranean diet is also the absolute top notch way to go. I think that carbs increasingly do me no favours so once I’ve ceased to do the BSD, I shall go back to the 5:2 and eat low carb mediterranean all the time. I sometimes do a Davina dvd. When I lost loads of weight before, I did it at least 3 times a week. I was paranoid that I’d be left with folds of unsightly fat!!! I need to do it again. I go to the gym twice a week and do 25 mins but I should be doing more. A Davina HIIT habit needs to start!
    I am really pleased – I have lost 9lbs since last Monday which is ridiculous! I expect most of that is just water (I’ve been weeing like mad over the weekend! Nightmare!) but I think, when I’m on the 5:2, my body hangs on to the increased calories on my non-fast days because it thinks it might not get them again. Which is why my weight keeps yo-yoing around the same 6lbs on it. I think my body just needs a shock, some serious fast weightloss and then the 5:2 will probably manage things in the long term. And the consistent 800 a day seems to back this up. I’m not starving hungry all the time. I’m pretty peckish in the evenings but fine the rest of the day. I was a bit light-headed yesterday because we did a 7 mile cycle ride. I found it much harder than usual due to the reduced calorie intake, I have to say. Everyone was eating delicious things at this lovely cafe by the river and I had to make do with a tomato and basil soup!!! UGH!
    Hope you’ve had a good weekend! I’m just going on to the 5:2 website to add in my new weight and to see my graph dip right down!! YIPPEE!!!!!!! If only I had started the BSD in February when I started the 5:2!

• posted by cleona
    on

Hello!! So glad to hear that it’s all going well ๐Ÿ˜€ Cycle ride (even if super tiring) and cafe by a river sounds lovely. You were very restrained to have the soup too! I must admit, this weekend I was a bit naughty…I stupidly bought a packet of pecan and toffee shortbread biscuits and some nice fresh bread for the children…and of course it was impossible not to try. Plus yesterday was mothers day here, and of course I thought that warranted another biscuit. Oh dear! But luckily it doesn’t seem to have thrown me off too much, and I am super happy as I’ve finally broken through the barrier into the 70s…79.5kg today! So 2.5kg (5.5lbs) since last monday!! Not bad at all. I tried my husband’s fitbit for a day on Saturday and I think it might be the way forward…I was thinking of just staying in the house but was just below the 10,000 steps mark, so insisted we all went for a walk, and it was quite heartening when you get the little celebratory jiggle! I might have it as my treat when I finally reach my goal weight.
    I do agree that the 800 diet gives that kind of sustained shock to the body it needs, and certainly I’m planning to never go back to high carbs afterwards. I feel so much better this way!
    xxx

on

Hi! How’s it going? I have the rumbliest tummy today. It was growling badly in the staff meeting. I’m v pleased that I’m 9lbs down after just over a week but I do wonder how on earth I will maintain this for a further SEVEN WEEKS!!!!!

I think the odd tiny cheat is ok. As long as it doesn’t get out of hand. It’s just hard to stop once you start!!! I keep meaning to track my steps but haven’t got round to that yet. Been a bit sedentary recently due to work stuff etc. Dying for half term!

5.5lb loss was great – is it still shifting?

• posted by cleona
    on

Hey there! Yes I know what you mean…I thought we’re supposed to be less hungry in summer, but I’m still hungry too. Although I just ate my breakfast (full fat greek yoghurt with few drops of stevia liquid and dessicated coconut), and it’s 11am. What are you eating?? I agree though about the odd slip up…but it does definitely affect the weight loss if it’s carby. I was giving the children cherries the other day, and they didn’t want any more and I ended up eating a ton of them. I love fruit but I think that was probably way more sugar than I should have had.
    Today I and yesterday I’ve been at 78.8kg, which is a seven pound loss since I started last week. So I’m pretty happy ๐Ÿ˜‰ I think really even once I reach by goal I’ll probably stick with this diet for the future, and just reintroduce things gradually and see how my weight changes (or hopefully doesn’t!). I got out a load of summer clothes from storage yesterday, and was really happy to be able to try on some trousers that I hadn’t fitted into for years! (I’m all about the Marie Kondo tidying and chucking things out…but now I see that something can give you tons of joy but only when you’ve lost the weight!!).
    I reckon if you’re feeling really hungry you need to think about where you’re putting your food – maybe you need more in the morning and less later? Or more nuts and seeds? I find they’re great for staying full. And eggs ๐Ÿ˜€
    When is half term for you? We don’t have it over here although we have stupidly long summer holidays to deal with (no being a teacher I only think from the parent point of view!). Have a lovely weekend!!! xxxx

on

I have a banana pancake (2 eggs plus 1 banana) for breakfast (295 calories), I count 50 calories for milk in my tea/coffee during the day, I have a miso soup for 27 calories at lunch and then I have salad/veg plus chicken or fish in the evening. If I have calories left over, I have a dessert spoon of greek yoghurt with some blueberries. I made a nice 5:2 recipe the other day. A yummy chilli and it was 241 a portion so I just added veg/salad.
    Sounds like your weightloss is going really well! I will go back to the 5:2 once I’ve finished with the BSD. Weekends are hard though. I’m going to have a can of gin and slim tonight (75 cals) – whoo hoo….!
    I can’t wait to start fitting into old clothes. I’ve got some gorgeous dresses that I haven’t worn since I lost all that weight 5 years ago. They are calling me from the wardrobe!!!!!! If I have lost a couple of stone in another 7 weeks, I reckon they’ll fit again.
    I think my stomach is just rumblier because it’s cumulative. So many days in succession of not much food!!!
    I’ve got another week before half term. But I’ve got an interview next wednesday which gets me out of work that day. YAY!!!! Only Thursday and Friday in school.
    Happy Weekend!!!

• posted by cleona
    on

Hi there, sorry I didn’t have a chance to message over the weekend. I pretty much slipped off the wagon – both on Friday and Sunday my husband (who is suffering with yet another bout of tonsilitis…although mild this time) decided he just wanted pizza, and I was tired and hungry…so crumbled and ate it too. We just had a bicker over the phone about what to have for dinner. It’s just such a pain trying to juggle what everyone can and will eat! Sorry, grumble over.
    I think I’m a bit grouchy and hungry after the carb fest over the weekend, and am also a bit pre-menstrual. But never mind…I will have a look at some weight loss pics! And look at my weight loss tracker in the bullet journal.
    How is your weight loss going? Are you still feeling hungry? I am a bit lazy and stick to the greek yoghurt for breakfast because it’s so easy…but I might try to branch out into scrambled eggs. I thought that bananas were not on the BSD though – didn’t he say only apples, pears, rhubarb and berries? I can’t quite remember, but that’s what I have stuck to! More fool me if I could have been having bananas all this time! doh. Although with my kids I don’t think i’d get a look in.
    Good luck with your interview! And here’s to being able to fit into lovely slimline clothes! ๐Ÿ™‚
    xx

• posted by Old sponger
    on

I started my first 8 week bsd diet just after half term in February this took me to Easter and I lost 2stones and my waist line dropped by four inches .i started the second bsd diet last week and I,m down another 7 pounds to 16 stone 2 pounds .When I started I weighed 18 stone 9 pounds so I,m doing great it’s not a diet anymore it’s a true life changer no carb cravings no energy losses I run and cycle I,ve never felt better .I,m a 56 year old man and I,m looking good I,ve not been as trim as I am since I was in my twenties.aiming to get down to 15 1/2 stones and keep it there so good luck to you all if I can do this anyone can .๐Ÿ‘

• posted by cleona
    on

Well done you! I know what you mean about a life change…I see carbs totally differently. It’s quite heartening to see the scales move pretty fast, isn’t it? And feel good in your body. I’ve had a few blips, but I realise now that while I don’t crave cakes or biscuits as much as I thought I would, bread is my downfall. But that’s mainly also due to not planning my meals, and then it’s just too easy to get some pizza (admittedly this is marginally healthier, although still white flour, Italian pizza…not dominos!). But I made a nice things with some veggies with pesto and a bit of ricotta the other day and had it with chicken and then just added some millet for the kids – and everyone was happy. So planning has to be my mantra. Having said that, we’re going for a few days on holiday to france next week, and then all bets are off!!! ooops… ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Old sponger
    on

Bread is an issue lol i have some bread in slices in the freezer and i treat myself on a weekend to a couple of slices..I don,t beat myself up about eating or drinking anything because i now have serious control over my diet. So i,m lucky in that it was my wife who initially wanted to lose weight and i joined her in this journey, she has also lost over two stones. we spiralise lots of veg and substitute it for pasta.. we roast butternut squash instead of spuds.. liquidise broccoli cauliflower.. etc.It takes planning but i wouldn’t go back to meat spuds and two veg ever again .. you have the rest of your life to eat well, so go to France eat baguettes and croissants enjoy them for what they are a holiday treat have a bottle or two of wine eat some cheese no regrets. gain a pound lose a pound ,gain two lose two you have the tools to be able to do this on the BSD diet. We are going on holiday to Scotland next week a place not renowned for its healthy eating so what, i cant wait!!! black pudding, lorne slices, deep fried pizza slice my eldest sons favourite, lol its only one week compared to the rest of my life its nothing. ..So is it a diet or a lifestyle choice ? i would say lifestyle choice because the word diet has so many negative connotations as in you are denying yourself ..Your not denying yourself anything you are really empowering yourself to be a healthy human being and to be able to enjoy life, so you are in effect treating yourself to a gift..WOW not sure where that came from but thats how i feel about this .. Enjoy your Holiday Cleona ๐Ÿ™‚

on

Hi! sorry I disappeared for a couple of days. Preparing for an interview then had the interview this morning. 2 hours of torture – teaching a lesson then interview with 3 people. UGH! So stressful. Being an emotional eater, I was STARVING when I got home!!! I ate several pickled cornichons (not v satisfying in the circs…) and had half a slice of toast with a bit of butter and some soup. I am addicted to bread so I find the bread thing VERY HARD like you two!! So, basically, I’ve thrown away 100 calories with the bread thing today. Cross with myself now. SIGH!!! Will have to make up for it and eat less this evening.
    I lost 9lbs in the first week but I’ve put 2lbs of that back on. Did a 13 mile cycle ride on Sunday though so it could just be muscle, water retention etc. Hopefully, I will have lost a decent amount more next Wednesday. I probably had nearly 1000 calories on Saturday and on Sunday but I have been good until the toast since then. I’ve got to lose 3.5 stone (at least!) so I’ve got a long way to go.
    As for the banana pancake – it’s in the Blood Sugar Diet recipe book. I find I can really get through the day much better if I’ve had it for breakfast. My 9 year old loves it too so I make him one and he has a bit of honey and some blueberries on top. Very quick to make.
    It’s half term next week so like you two, I will have temptation in my path! Might go off to the coast for a day. How to avoid fish and chips and icecreams??!!!!!!!!!!! Nightmare.

• posted by cleona
    on

Old sponger thanks so much for your words of wisdom! I do agree – I had always avoided ”diets” and when people ask me about the BSD I always emphasise how easy it’s been. Not that it doesn’t take some willpower, but that it just feels so good for your body that it’s not hard to keep going. And I agree – when you look at the long picture, a blip of a few days or a week isn’t anything to really worry about, when you have the blueprint for getting back into health again afterwards. I suppose I just have the fantasy goal of skinny-sized me and am impatient to get there! Victoria – with that in mind I wouldn’t beat yourself up too much about the toast…it sounds like you had a pretty stressful day, and you’re doing tons of exercise too!
    My only issue with the diet is that I was heading back towards vegetarianism (after eating steaks for iron at the end of my last pregnancy I fell off the wagon rather!), but I’m need even more preparation to make sure I can get the right protein mix and low carbs without eating meat and fish. My plan is to wait until I’ve lost most of the weight, and then make the full shift.
    Speaking of all this it makes me realise that I’m quite peckish and haven’t even thought about planning tonight’s food…may have to have a quick look in the recipes section here, or on pinterest. Have you found any good recipe sites?

on

I’ve got the 5:2 diet recipe book. There’s a brilliant chilli in it for 241 calories. I eat it with salad. At the moment, I mostly finding it easier to not do much cooking though. So, I’m buying pre-cooked chicken and plonking it on salad and using soy sauce to make it more interesting! I’ve also bung salmon in foil in the oven with a bit of lemon and olive oil and had that with salad. I’ve lost 11lbs in 2.5 weeks now. Not bad. Desperate to hit the full stone!!! A real milestone!

on

Hey, you two! How’s it going? Are you back from your hols? I struggled a bit last week as it was half term. Must have had 1000-1200 calories on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I still haven’t managed the magic stone off yet! I’ve been on 13lbs lost for several days – a plateau! It will give me such a boost one that lb is gone. I’ll be on to the next one! I started exactly 4 weeks ago today so it’s still good weightloss. I’m definitely feeling a bit of a difference in my clothing. I am finding I can do a bit more exercise too. Once I’ve got shot of another stone, I’ll hopefully start to look quite difference. Hurry up and go!!!!

Tell me your latest!

• posted by cleona
    on

Hello!!! Sorry, yes I am back. I was back to work on Monday after a rather stressful drive back from France (I accidentally shut my 3 yr old son’s fingers in the car door and we had to go get x ray done in France, which delayed things, and then on Sunday we got hit with the crazy bank holiday weekend traffic, which added 1.5hrs onto our journey). I haven’t been here much as am getting back into the diet after a week of entire gluttony!! I ate everything and drank rosรจ wine and generally had a lovely time. Although to be honest I would say that I didn’t really enjoy pigging out QUITE so much as I had thought I would. Don’t get me wrong, I quite happily stuffed my face, but I think maybe it’s something about this diet, or as old sponger said, a change of life/mentality/attitude towards food…I was a bit more mindful about it, and whether I was really enjoying it enough to finish. Anyway, I didn’t put on too much weight, so am basically about the same as I was the week before I left. I am also completely and utterly obsessed with the UK election, and am nervously checking online ALL the time.
    That’s great to hear that you’re feeling good and seeing the good effects. I had a big plateau last time (when I was actually doing the diet more consistently like you)…I think it’s quite normal, even though it would be nice to see a slow stead reduction. Best of luck though!! I am super excited as am getting a fitbit for my birthday (had to order it myself as my husband is so unbelievably crap that he can’t buy anything from amazon…). But am hoping that this will seal the deal in getting me to do more exercise/activity. Oh well, better go…speak soon!! xxxx

• posted by Old sponger
    on

Yes I,m back from Scotland had a great break ate loads drank loads and only put on 12 oz for the week . I guess my metabolism is working fine although I said I ate loads it was still no bread pasta potatoes etc I don,t look at those items as food anymore when I first started this supermarket shopping was an absolute hell denial central now it’s a pleasure again as I,m continually checking out new food .So last Sunday back on the diet and I,ve lost 3lbs I now weigh 16 stone 1lb and 8 ounces .I can get into 34 inch waist Jeans and they are comfortable not weighed this since I was in my late 20,s . So guys that’s it for me for a few days. next week I hope to get under the 16 stone barrier then I,m only 7 pounds away from my target weight of 15 1/2 stone and that will mean that I,ve lost 3 stone since the start of March this year. Beach fit or what lol..take care

• posted by cleona
    on

Sorry, I got a bit caught up in the election and didn’t have time to write here too! Well done Old sponger, you really are an inspiration to me…I can’t say that I don’t look at bread and pasta as food any more, unfortunately I still love them, but I do feel more and more that my body doesn’t really feel good when I eat them. Or at least eat more than a little. It’s great when you get beyond the barriers, isn’t it?
    I am now 78, so just over 2kg (about 5lb) less than last week after the France trip. And i did eat a huge piece of tiramisu on Saturday…oops. But other than that, all good. And another excitement was that this week both my husband and my friend who’s in London (who we were with in France) have both been inspired to start!! So it’s nice not being alone doing the diet. It’s a revolution!!! ๐Ÿ™‚
    Hope you’re both good. speak soon xxx

• posted by Old sponger
    on

Hi guys drank too much this weekend so a bit behind my targets .We had this for Sunday evening cauliflower rice chicken biriani it takes around 15 minutes to prepare and the same to cook it tasted amazing it’s on page 105 of the 8 week bsd recipe book you have to give it a go and another plate of food this week was a cabbage steamed and then a dozen cherry tomatoes stirred into it plus a tin of cannellini beans , garlic clove crushed and som chilli flakes. That is on page 170 of the book as well. I play the drums in a Brazilian samba band and we are doing three sets at a festival this weekend so I,m looking forward to that .I will report again next week take care guys . Cheers Steve

• posted by cleona
    on

Mmm those do sound good. I made a low-cal chicken korma a few weeks ago and it was the first time i’d done the cauli-rice – quite a revelation! Now that my husband’s also doing the BSD it opens up more possibilities as we only have to worry about ourselves and the kids, not three separate dinner options, which was proving quite stressful. I might suggest we try the biriani one today or tomorrow. It’s getting quite hot here now though, so soon we’ll have to only have minimally cooked dinner.
    Jeez – three sets of drumming must count as a pretty major workout! Probably burns a good amount of calories!
    I’m looking forward to getting a fitbit for my birthday next monday – i’m convinced that it’s going to revolutionise the fitness part of the diet ๐Ÿ™‚
    Have a good day! (and nice to know your name Steve – I felt a bit strange calling you old sponger!! ๐Ÿ™‚ )
    Cleona x

• posted by Old sponger
    on

Old sponger is a name i got from a friend its do with surfing, the boards i use, used to be made from sponge foam and were prone to snapping and as i,m a few years older than he is…. i got the name. It has nothing to do with my lack of generosity or my ability to scrounge items for use and never return them either i might add although that depends on who you ask ๐Ÿ™‚

on

I’m so glad the election is over! I actually can’t bear to hear about anything political at the moment and am avoiding the news etc. And I normally love politics. I have reached Peak Politics! Living in hope that there will be no more blasted elections for half a decade now!!! I don’t know if you heard about Brenda in Italy, but I am firmly with Brenda on this…

I am on another weightloss plateau. Nothing has changed for nearly a week now. Boring. I’ve done 5 weeks. My chances of losing another stone by the end of the 8 weeks are looking slim…unlike me! But I will keep at it. Must drink more water!!!! I found some diet progs on All4 to watch to maintain my motivation! That said, I can clearly tell that my waist has shrunk. Skirts and trousers are much looser. My face is noticeably thinner too. Such a relief! It wouldn’t surprise me if I were pre-diabetic before. It’s great that you have more people to join you, Cleona! My boyfriend lives about 30 mins away so he isn’t here every evening, but when he is, he mostly eats what I have to support me which is very helpful! I have to have other temptations in the house for my 9 year old but I’m not finding it hard to resist at the moment.

Thanks for sharing re those recipes. I’m going to look them up. I use a couple from the Fast Diet cookbook but I only use the banana pancake (my saviour!) from the BSD cookbook. I’ve been chucking trout fillets in the oven for 15 mins in foil and just adding piles of veg/salad to my plate in recent days. I also use Borlotti Bean Bolognese from the fast diet cookbook. I add a 1/4 of the amount to my veg and fish/chicken which is only 45 calories and yummy (borlotti beans, tinned cherry tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, red pepper).

Three sets of drumming will definitely burn a significant amount of calories as long as you don’t do the traditional musician thing of accompanying it with alcohol! (Speaking as a fellow musician and singer!).

Right, time to do some tedious lesson planning. The weather is gorgeous and I could do with some exercise but I don’t think that’s going to happen before work….

• posted by cleona
    on

So I just checked and we’re definitely in a heat wave here ๐Ÿ™ It’s mid to late 30s – 95Fish) Too hot.
    I know what you mean about the politics; I am a bit exhausted, but I do want another election asap. Or at least that this dreadful coalition collapses. My husband’s Irish, so watching Mayhem risk the stability of N Ireland just to grab at a majority, is pretty galling. I just hope JC can get in there. But I do know what you mean, and yes, I saw old Brenda from Bristol!

I’ve been on a bit of a spiralizer frenzy lately – yesterday I made a really nice asian style chicken salad, with spiralized cucumber, carrots, finely chopped peppers and red onions. Was pretty tasty, although maybe not the most filling dinner. Oh well. I think I might try your banana pancakes, certainly for the kids if not for me. It’s getting too hot for porridge, which is their usual…we don’t have the time (or patience in the case of the 1 year old!) to wait for it to cool down, which caused much shouting and moaning this morning. I used to make the borlotti bean bolognese from Patrick Holford’s GL cookbook, a long time ago, so I might be inspired. It’s great how this diet really doesn’t cramp a love of food, does it? I still feel inspired and really enjoy my meals. I don’t know how people can do those awful diets where they have to eat powdered ”shakes” all the time. Urgh…

Good luck with your lesson planning. How is your school/work/job going? Any more stable? Hope so!

xxxC

on

Oh, god. Any diet involving dreaded shakes and pre-packed food is unsustainable long term. And depressing! Although v handy in terms of calorie counting! Definitely try out the pancake – it’s a winner! My son has a bit of honey chucked on with strawberries and blueberries for good measure!

Think my job is OK for the next year now, thanks. Not quite sure what is going to happen after that. I just need the economy to be stable. I’ve increased mortgage to replace my collapsing kitchen! I need people to be spending their money on piano lessons etc. I definitely don’t want JC in with a multitude of incompatible nutjobs causing havoc. He would have had to do a deal with DUP as LD would have refused coalition. So it’s a joke that he’s protesting about that. And he’d have been dealing with sturgeon’s nats too. No thanks! I just want them all to stop messing about and get on with it! Sick to the back teeth of it all….!

• posted by cleona
    on

Yes – that’s one thing I haven’t felt with BSD at all, depressed by the food! I have really enjoyed going outside my own comfort zone and having some really tasty food ๐Ÿ˜€ Tomorrow we’re going to have a bash at the banana and egg pancakes too! It’s boiling here…about 35 degrees every day, and we’re sweltering in the house. We don’t have air con, but think it’s time to dig out the fans…

Glad to hear that your job is safe. Sorry, I shouldn’t get into the politics thing as it’s probably not even allowed in the BSD forum (not sure!?) but I really believe 1000% that the economy, brexit, NHS, schools and everything else would be much safer in Jeremy Corbyn’s hands. Theresa May is a robot without any human compassion (just look at her visit to Grenfell yesterday) who is at the head of a horrid corrupt gang of rich toffs. They don’t care about the normal people, they want to privatise the NHS, destroy education, and will go into negotiations with the EU27 full of their public school boy sense of entitlement and offend everyone.

Anyway, apart from all that…!!! It’s good to see that the BSD can bring people together from both sides of the political divide!! ๐Ÿ™‚
    Hope you all have a good weekend xxx

on

Anything above 25 degress and I need a swimming pool at the back door. I learnt my lesson teaching in Nicosia for 6 months. FAR TOO HOT!!! And no aircon. I remember about 2 months of perpetual humidity when I studied in Verona too and we were all sleeping on the floor tiles to try and cool down. Ugh! Think it’s going to be about 29 in my area today and tomorrow…Lovely sunshine though and no humidity! I ought to do a Davina McCaul HIIT but my legs are still suffering from the one I did on Thursday morning. Walking around like John Wayne. Inner thigh muscle pain from squats!

Politics: JC may seem like a good option to a non-uk resident but I don’t want a bunch of grief tourist, incompetent Marxists in charge of my taxes. Grenfell was not caused by Tory ‘cuts’. It was caused by the someone spending millions of pounds on lethal cladding to meet EU targets for energy conservation in that building. The fire service were not affected by cuts – 300 of them arrived within 6 minutes and with 40 appliances to tackle the blaze. Unlike JC, TM didn’t wander about trying to make political gains out of an utter tragedy. I find it quite abhorrent. Noone should die in those circumstances in this day and age and it should never be allowed to happen again. Once the full facts are known, I would imagine there will be a case of corporate manslaughter. Can’t understand why those panels are legal in this country. But the govt is now reviewing all buildings with that cladding. JC is far too busy rabble-rousing and doesn’t have anything better to do as parliament isn’t currently sitting.

Speaking as a single mum and a teacher who solely pays her mortgage for a small 1970s terrace on an estate, I don’t want my very hard-earned taxes to go on vanity projects like re-nationalising railways and back-paying student tuition fees (a bribe which worked to get students out of bed long enough to uncharacteristically mark a cross for Labour on a voting slip). If JC gets hold of power, I’m downing tools and skanking every benefit I can off the state. Without people working and paying their taxes and buying things, there will be no money for the NHS, police, fire service and so on. The economy will utterly tank. But if my hard work is going to be taken for granted and frittered away, I’m withdrawing it! And so will everyone else. It won’t take long, trust me…

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Cleona, I am in France and it has been 35 ish for days now. We have an air con unit but it costs a fortune to run. Anyway Victoria, we do have a swimming pool right on our terrace BUT you might not believe this, it can be too hot to swim. We have no shelter over the pool and you would burn to a crisp except for short dips with lashings of cream. Ohhhh sounds like a pudding…

• posted by Jenni from the Block
    on

How about we leave the Party politics of one country for other forums not the BSD.

on

Agree – party politics on BSD forum probably not remotely helpful. But, I believe in balance and responded to a political comment with an alternative perspective.

sunshine-girl – TOO HOT TO SWIM?!?! I am horrified!!!! I think you need to invent a parasol hat! I know I would!!!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Victoria, my pool is 40 foot by 20 foot and impossible to shade. When it is 35 degrees in the shade it is around 48 in full sun, I do sometimes swim in my t-shirt but it is draggy, answer, swim early morning and late evening then have a midnight dip. I am not on holiday so not looking to get a tan or worse, burnt. I can afford to take my time.

• posted by Smaus
    on

Very nicely put VP. I agree that few will read these boards for political discourse, but as more of a reader than contributor I am fascinated by the extent to which life stories shared and how we are feeling influences our choices, dietary and otherwise. Given that the last few weeks in the UK have left almost everyone of every political stripe feeling pretty shell shocked it’s not surprising that emotions should spill out in unexpected places.

Meantime back to the business in hand, I’m lurking in the shade trying to remember to keep up my water intake which has definitely tailed off of late and investigating the particularly satiating effects of walnuts reported in today’s press!

Smaus

on

Sunshine-girl – that is a complete travesty! I would be feeling most frustrated if I were you. I went out in my car earlier and it was 30 degrees according to the thermometer. I momentarily wondered about dragging the paddling pool out and just plonking myself in it with a gin and slim! I don’t need any additional tan either so I’m just padding about inside at present…

Smaus – I read the walnut thing too!!! I don’t have any in the house, just almonds, which take the edge of my hunger pangs. Will have to invest in walnuts now. I prefer them pickled! It’s vaguely comforting to know that, no matter what your political persuasion, your race, your gender, your age, or your bank balance, weightloss is still a unifying struggle for everyone! Imagine if all this weight-loss effort went into making the world a better place….We’d have the lot solved in 5 minutes!!! I dread to think how much time I’ve spent on shifting excess blubber during my 44 years on earth ๐Ÿ™ but it’s WAY too much….

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi all — I understand you are enjoying a heat wave in your neck of the woods — love summertime!
    I sort of like some gentle political discussion because it is so REAL to all of us in our lives and I cannot imagine how to separate out politics from everyday life. Reading your comments gives me a bigger understanding of the whole world — which is one of the pleasures of the BSD posts. So I say post some political comments but keep them respectful.
    In the US right now we are so divided and so furious with each other that almost all reasonable political discussion has come to a halt. One of our local talk-radio hosts said that if anyone brings up a political issues, the boards just go black because no one wants to talk politics so they just hang up. As a result, we only have partisan news and hard-line opinion folk and that has made a bad situation even worse.
    Leaving a vacuum only strengthens the black/white nature of the issues and we desperately need to be able to see the grey areas and find common ground. As they say, “we’re all in this together” — only one small world for all mankind. Luckily the BSD folk are all natural ambassadors! I have been heartened by my adventures here with you all. ๐Ÿ˜„

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Walnuts also have fewer carbs than almonds, 7 grams per 100 gram serving vs. 10 grams. I personally dislike the taste of walnuts, so I stick with the lowest carb nuts, Brazils and pecans, both 4 grams carbohydrate per 100 grams.

• posted by cleona
    on

Sunshine girl I totally empathise! We were out in the countryside today and it was at least 39 degrees. My friend’s house doesn’t yet have a pool but we could barely stand being outside in the shade and I’m not sure an unshaded pool would have been v appealing… Having said that, I suffer from psoriasis, so I see going out in the sun as medicine, and do for as long as I can bear.
    Very interested to hear about walnuts. I love ’em, and alternate between them and almonds as a pre lunch desk snack for days when I skip breakfast. But I might just go for them now. Victoria I tried the egg and banana pancakes today and they were lovely! Kids not so keen but I have the batch in the freezer for my lunches Mon and Tue now.
    Re politics let’s just agree to disagree. I do agree though that it’s lovely that the bsd can unite us across political divides! California girl, you also have a sorry state of affairs on your side of the pond…I have lots of American friends here in Rome and they’re watching in horror. Hope you all have a lovely Sunday!

• posted by Smaus
    on

Mmm, pickled walnuts – now you’re talking. For anyone interested in the walnut “news” the University of Georgia reported a study on the effect of poly unsaturated fats on appetite. Very small sample size but the group eating a higher proportion of PUSF were reportedly less hungry. Walnuts apparently are amongst the foods with relatively high amounts of PUSF. An amazing conclusion from a study funded by……wait for it……the Californian Walnut Commission.

For a totally unscientific sample of one this morning they worked. For the first time my yoghurt/berries breakfast just hadn’t cut it and I was marauding in the kitchen. I remembered the walnut article and measured myself a lavish 10g. They did the trick but I think the fact that I’m not a huge raw walnut fan was actually key, I had no desire to go back for more. Almonds on the other hand I love so daren’t open a packet for fear of the consequences *and slips into a marzipan reverie*….

California Girl – I did appreciate your perspective, and yes the southern UK certainly had summer today. Love the fact ‘though that we Brits spend all year waiting for that sunny weekend, and then mostly run for cover when it comes. However if the warmer temperature also suppresses appetite then I’ll take that too and hope it continues for the rest of the weekend!

Suitably Satiated Smaus

• posted by Old sponger
    on

.Spent the Weekend at the Tandem festival in a very sunny Oxfordshire . We played three sets of Samba drumming on the Friday evening then spent the Saturday in Slough where we played two 45 minute sets there and then a dance workshop for a streets alive festival..Then back to Oxfordshire to play another 45 minute set at another Festival .Back to the tandem where we were camped and danced away the rest of the night . If you want to check us out playing maracatu then just google Sol Samba oxford samba band..
    As far as the bsd is concerned i,ve not lost or gained any weight this weekend possibly due to the fact i was bought a big keg of beer as a fathers day present and it seemed rude not to try to drink it..
    Back on the bsd today, porridge breakfast followed by a small tuna salad for lunch plenty of water as its 29 C this afternoon and i,m not sure about the evening meal probably something bbq`ued with cannelloni bean mash and salad. stay cool guys cheers Steve

• posted by cleona
    on

Steve – I listened watched your band on YouTube – looks great! I went to college in Oxford, so it brings back memories of May day revelries! ๐Ÿ™‚ Makes me feel old though, as I left in 97…20 years ago! Yikes. I like the idea of doing a bit of bean mash w bbq meat. We’re trying to avoid heating the house up too much. Although yesterday we had a really nice dinner which was chopped up chicken pan cooked with shredded green cabbage, then adding bit of natural peanut butter and some coconut milk. My husband made it so not sure if he modified this. It was meant to be with tofu, but he refused and insisted on meat.

Smaus – good to hear about the nuts. I know what you mean about almonds. I also keep a bag of dessicated coconut on my desk, and sometimes i dig into it if famished. It’s a pain though as quite messy to eat, which reduces how much I get!

So I hope those of you in UK are dealing with the heat. Here it’s roasting, but luckily my office has air con. Now going to go for a walk…I can recommend the fitbit by the way! Has really inspired me to walk more, and also has a reminder so that I do get up every hour at least.
    Cleona

Please log in or register to post a reply.