In out in out shake it all about. My questions and my journey

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Figment
    on

Hi to anyone who will read this.
    First of the reason for my title is literally how life feels right now a wobbly person ,,!,
    I’m not diabetic or even close and generally have quite low sugar although my husband has been type 2 diabetic for a fair few years now. He has been told that tablets are no longer controlling his diabetes and will soon have to go on insulin .
    so I am doing this diet to support him to see if together we can stick to it and reverse his bad sugar levels.
    I do although I forgot to add need to lose weight and loads of it. I was vastly overweight then gave up smoking (cold turkey) last October 1st. 2015 and proceeded to put on around 20 kilos.
    So here goes, I will carry on my introduction a little later . I really wanted to ask which ap any of you finds helpful for carbs etc .

• posted by Figment
    on

Carrying on from earlier. After seeing the article in the daily mail uk back in January the seed was planted to perhaps show my hubby and give this diet a go. Alas at the time he showed no interest. Miraculously last month he said to me “I’m thinking of going on this diet . What do you think.?”
    Of course I said what a great idea. He read the book and made me read it too.
    It took a while to get us both into the right mindset but we eventually started on the 4th July .
    My starting weight ( can I hide please) !!!! 106 kilos fatter than I was at full term with my lad. Oh I did get gestational diabetes and was told would more then likely get it in later life. I realised then what a bad disease it is as on 2 occasions I temporarily lost my vision for a couple of minutes all from too much sugar. Anyhow that’s another story.

So while all America were celebrating I was sat here at day one

Breakfast poached egg and avocado

Lunch No carb plough mans

Dinner : Vegetable curry with cauliflower rice.

Feelings that day were ok we can do this. My downfall is rice so a little grin and bear it was needed on that one.

Can’t wait to start some recipes but think I need to be reading a little more on the what’s what. Even though I’ve read the book and so much . I have a brain like a sieve and need to recap constantly.
    I think it will take a few days to try and catch up and get to where I am now which is week 2 day 1
    If anyone has any ideas on anything to help me in any way that would be great .

• posted by Figment
    on

Good morning .
    Well no replies as yet to any of my questions πŸ™ not to worry . I woke this morning raring to go thinking yes this is going ok so far albeit a few ups and downs

Day 2
    Portobello toast with goats cheese and pine nuts mmm this ones lovely

Pepper with jeweled feta

Foil steamed fish ….. As I’m not a fishy person this made me feel sick yet hubby loved it .
    Thinking can always have someting different next time he has this.

Day 3 poached egg with avocado

Can of tuna in brine with cucumber tomatoes and spring onions

Gingery pork with stir fried veg.

Day 4
    this morning I weighed myself 103.7 kilos woot I’ve lost 2.3 kilos in 3 days .
    I’m excited but know this will be the biggest 3 day loss of the diet as it’s only the beginning.

Day 5

Middle Eastern

Cheesy baked beans

Ribbons with shrimp

Day 6
    Had a sneaky weigh in again today 103.1 kilos that’s another 500 grams or 1.1 lbs

Poached egg and tomatoes … Love this one going to get egg bound,,!

Harissa chicken …. My favourite so far

Oops my friend came round so I ended up having 2 glasses of. red wine

Day 7
    This day was stressfull trying to errect a metal shed . never seen so many screws . I was a co bystander helping sometimes but keeping out of the way others.

Can’t even remember what I had for brunch but dinner wow

Sirloin steak with cabbage . This tasted like all my Christmases had come at once especially as I had one glass of wine with it.

Dreading weigh in in morning.
    Heck times ran away with me will carry on later

Love fig

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi there Figment.

So sorry we have neglected you, I think as so many people are now using this forum new threads get moved down the listing very quickly, I’ve noticed a speed up in the forum since I’ve been using it which is only 3 weeks.
    So to answer your question about an app I am in the uk and use the ‘ myfitnesspal’ app it counts cals, carbs and so much more. How are you both doing the menus look great. Don’t forget to try to get active as advised in the book. Now I have your thread logged in I’m always around if you are needing support, I am only a lit ahead of you but all the more the merrier huh.
    Hope your day goes well
    Love Jan πŸ“πŸ“πŸ“

• posted by Figment
    on

Hi Jan
    At last a reply . Thank you so much . I will install the ap right away . Mt biggest problem is hubby is quite happy sticking to the same 7 day menu for the duration . But I’m not. Some of the food on the menus is lovely and liveable but there’s lots I don’t like . I want to be able to say I fancy a small pork fillet and be able to add veg and beans or whatever a little bit of flexi.
    He’s lost 6 kilos already it’s dropping of him.
    Love. Fig

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi
    Yes men do seem to always loose faster than women. I’m sure once you start producing lovely new counted meals, he will be equally enthusiastic. Some people just like the assurance, of laid out things sometimes don’t they.
    Hope it’s going well
    Regards
    JanπŸ€—

• posted by Figment
    on

Well today was day 2 week 2

Breakfast was portobello mushrooms again and due to finishing of this death trap of a metal shed, time went fast and I skipped lunch . By the time I had done the usual school run and shopping I thought dare I.?
    So yes I did opt for a sirloin steak with steamed cabbage . I don’t snack at all but I do drink coffee with a little milk. I have tried not to but can’t get used to it . I also had one of those zero calorie orange lucozades not sure it’s allowed but always have to bend a rule or two.
    Hubby just tested his sugars omg he’s told me he’s taken no medications at all today?…
    At the start his sugar was over 14 don’t know how but 2 hours after dinner tonight 5.1
    Weather this is a glitch or the shape of things to come I’m not sure but something some where is working. I never expected it to work so fast.
    And my good news was I finally took of a little more weight after a weekend of fluctuating and now weigh 102.7 kilos

The thing is Jan hubby cooks more than I do I’ve got fybromialgia so we share a lot of kitchen chores .
    I installed that ap but so far it just keeps asking me to log food.
    That must take hours to log every ingredient?
    I need to start some form of exercise but a bit limited at the moment. I need to try swimming again I think but we will see.
    Any ideas if tuna in brine is ok with chopped salad? I think it is but nice to know.
    Think it’s time I stopped for tonight I feel a coffee coming on
    Good night all and Jan
    Love fig

• posted by EllenD
    on

Hey Figment – Love reading your posts. Your results and your husband’s results are amazing – must be a huge motivation for both of you. Tuna with salad is just fine. You can also get tuna with various flavours. That’s also fine, although a bit heavier in calories. No need to drain those, just pour it over your salad and you have instant dressing. Yum!!

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi Fig
    Woohoo good results both of you. Bril, yes tuna in brine is fine. Re the myfitnesspal app when you first check out a food item yes it does take a few seconds to find the correct one, but once you have entered it into your list, for the day it then keeps it as a sort of a shopping list where you can just scroll down and click on. Do a few pretend days and have a play, it took me a while, but once you have it sussed it’s a real asset, it also has a scan bare top right that you just click and it tells you the cals etc.
    Hope you have a lovely day
    Love jan🌺

• posted by Figment
    on

Good morning all
    Jan and Ellen thanks for your replies.
    Will persevere with the ap but for this morning I have started of the day with avocado and poached egg that was after a quick trip to the dentists with terrible news . Do I need a tooth out ? No . Do I need a filling . No…
    My dentist is leaving boo hoo he’s the only one I’ve ever felt at ease with . So that news brought me to tears .
    Anyhow it’s a bit nippy here in Lancashire this morning so decided to make a lentil and chorizo soup for lunch . Will let you know how that pans out later on.
    As for now so glad to have the support of you here . I gave up smoking with an ap for support so hopefully between you all here and a little will power this time I will do it.
    Bye for now love Fig

• posted by Timmy
    on

Hi Figment. Sorry for the tardy response! It can be a bit of a faff weighing everything out, but things like tuna in brine, steak, even coffee are all fine on this diet. You just need to log them to make sure you’re not going over your allotted carbs/cals.

I’ve downloaded Myfitnesspal but to be honest I don’t use it. I just rely on a quick google search.

Instead of rice, and if you get bored of cauli rice, you could try bulgar wheat or quinoa. It’s higher in carbs than cauli, so don’t go crazy on it, but hopefully it might satiate that desire! Well done on the weight loss so far. Keep it up!

• posted by Figment
    on

Hi to all
    Getting some great tips from you thanks.
    My soup turned out really nice

3oz brown lentils dried ones
    2.5 oz chopped onions
    I diced carrot
    1oz of chorizo
    1 clove of garlic
    1oz cooked chicken
    I used some stock I made from boiled chicken bones and broccoli
    1tesp virgin olive oil
    I worked it out to serve 2 people 443. Calories so 221 calls per serving
    Struggling to work out the carbs but don’t think over the top

For dinner we had shepherds pie with Cali mash an adaption of the forum recipe. That was stunning
    Hubby lowered the amounts to make enough for 3 so we shared the last portion for breakfast this morning.

I spent all afternoon potting painting and planting so hubby made butternut and cashew nut soup really loved that . He messed up on the amounts and we had over our lunch calorie allowance so had to make do with no carb plough mans for dinner .

Not even started excersizing yet , but I am seeing an instructor tomorrow see what I can do .
    Really wish there was a fast 800 1001 recipe book to buy.

I can’t abide yoghurt and am allergic to coconuts so it rules out a lot of nice recipes.
    Heck that’s the door
    Bbl

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi figment
    All sounds yummy, we will all come to dinner tomorrow. Hehe going well huh, are you enjoying it. Seeing an instructor, wow ho of to boot camp with you then. Bril.
    Love Jan πŸ…πŸ…πŸ…

• posted by Figment
    on

Thanks for the links izzy . And hi to all .
    Sorry never replied sooner. Had a bit of a melt down since Friday and yes I broke the diet for a couple of days. But not massively . Hubby is still going strong.
    I met with the fitness instructor but still awaiting a program . Although I have been 2 times to the gym over last few days. That’s something I never thought I would do.
    But for tonight I am hurting so will write more about my missing days tomorrow
    Until then
    Love fig

• posted by Annais
    on

Hi Figment – it was lovely to read your posts above as we are starting from roughly the same weight (I have been hovering just under 100kg for most of the last couple of years and dreading that move to treble figures) and I started the BSD 800 yesterday. I am technically pre-diabetic but my partner was diagnosed with Type II a year ago. He is a big lad but I’m not going to put his weight on here because he’d be embarrassed … I am using the myfitnesspal app too and I have found a lot of the recipes from the book are in there already from other users. If you add ‘blood sugar diet’ or ‘BSD’ to the food description when searching you will possibly find them. They’re not all there (I was a bit miffed at not finding veg curry and cauliflower rice and thus having to enter them by ingredients which was tttteeeddddiiiioooouuuussss) but many of them are, which helps make the app easier to use.

Well done for your efforts so far and big kudos for hitting the gym! You’re an inspiration. πŸ™‚

Annais

• posted by Figment
    on

Hi Annais
    Thanks for your reply. My hubby also a big lad but he got his mind set to this diet. I’m trying things I never thought possible like hallumi cheese it’s lovely. We were always big curry eaters as both of us make our curries from scratch so the veg curry was lovely but i need to get my head round devising one with a little chicken.
    Needless to say my diet break included a donner kebab and a curry and rice with a fair few glasses of wine over a couple of days. But I slapped my wrists didn’t get despondant and Monday was strict again . I had put on a little of what I lost but hoping to be back there in a couple of days. Good luck to you both.keep me posted please

• posted by Figment
    on

Hi all
    Well I’ve been waiting for a call from the fitness centre regarding my personal program which was promised to me for Monday still nothing . Not to worry it was too hot today in any case.

Breakfast was 2 small boiled eggs.

Lunch was plough mans hubby had homemade veg soup… Far too hot for soup!!!

Dinner was a skinless chicken leg smeared with a combination of chili powder , garlic powder, caraway seeds and half a teaspoon of olive oil that mix did a full chicken though. With a side dish of cabbage and chickpeas ( recipe in forums for the side dish)

Had perhaps 3 coffees during the day with a touch of milk also.
    I’m not going to weigh myself for a few days if I can. But not sure if it’s best that way or not.

The good thing was I managed to avoid that ice cold Heineken I so love on hot days. Helped that we didn’t have any in the fridge best thing is clearing your temptations away …. It works.

So right now I’m still sat in my garden wondering why on a hot day like today I can’t smell any orange blossom or night scented jasmine then I remembered hey we are not on the Mediterranean Coast we are in rainy old Britain on a good day…
    Oops forgot to mention I used to live abroad and that’s one of the things I miss.

We’ll need to stop rambling on and baton down the hatches ready for the stormy weather forecast. Goodnight all
    Love fig

• posted by Figment
    on

Hi all
    As much as I needed to dump the scales. I still had to have a sneaky weigh and finally made it to the weight I was before my glitch.

Had my staple diet of 2 small boiled eggs again today then a stunning celery soup hubby made yet again.
    Dinner was a skinless roast chicken leg and salad
    A few coffees and a handful of grapes
    All in all another good day .

I’ve finally worked out the my fitness pal ap so will see how that goes. At the moment it’s driving me mad adding each ingredient as we cook .

Does anyone know the correct levels of protein and fat I need to alter on the ap ?

Will report my weight tomorrow once I’ve ran round the block a few times,,,,,,!!!,!
    For now goodnight to all
    Love Figment

• posted by Annais
    on

Hi Figment – dumping the scales is a tough one. I did the sneaky weigh in this morning too and I’m down 2.5kg exactly from my starting point which is actually pretty good from a motivational point of view even if logic told me it’s mostly water weight etc etc etc … We’ve been eating mostly poached eggs and avocado for breakfast with a little lemon and cracked pepper and some paprika and they’ve been delicious. If I could work out a way to prepare them the night before that’d improve them too because it’s not fun preparing them at 5.45 in the morning. Last night we had beef kofta with a cucumber/capsicum/red onion/tomato salsa and it was pretty fab. We are both still craving bread so last night we shared one slice between the two of us for ‘dessert’. I’m thinking I might have to try the recipe for ‘cloud bread’ that I’ve found on the internet and see if that’s a better low carb alternative. Still struggling with my coffee a bit. I like it milky and often and it’s been difficult to change that. Headache all week which I’m not sure is attributable to the caffeine or carb withdrawal. It didn’t improve after the half a slice of bread though so … probably caffeine. Trying to soldier on through it but after 4 days it’s a struggle. Biggest win this week was that partner’s fasting BSL this morning was 6.5. He was very nonchalant about it but I know he’s pleased. He’s also lost 3kg and he hasn’t seemed to struggle with the eating changes much at all. He is already doing 2 sessions a week with a personal trainer but we are going to see if a bit more walking helps too. The thing I notice is that we’re both looking more ‘bright eyed’ and clear skinned than a week ago. Not that we were spotty or anything just … I don’t know, less florid? Hard to explain. We feel better and that’s a good thing.

No answer for your question on the app. I loaded the app when I got my phone two years ago but never used it so a lot of my settings are still default and I haven’t worked out how to change them yet. I think there is quite a good support network online for the app but I haven’t really looked into that yet either.

Anyway, well done for your progress so far and thank you for sharing your journey!

Annais

• posted by Natalie
    on

Hi Figment, I don’t use Myfitnesspal but most of those apps you can create a “meal” and then you only have to enter all the ingredients once, after that you just type “my cauliflower rice” or whatever you called the meal and it logs the whole thing. Have a look around the app and see if it has that. Or maybe you can copy a previous meal across in a click or two instead of entering again. I use CalorieKing (in Australia) and I can create meals and copy meals, saves a lot of time – assuming I make it more or less the same way each time.

• posted by Ziggy
    on

Just to confirm that you can enter all the ingredients of a meal, and MyFitnessPal calculates all the numbers for you per serving – cars, protein, fat, cals etc. etc. As Natalie said you can store all your recipes and recall them whenever – sadly you don’t seem to be able to save the method for the recipe along with the ingredients. You can also import meals from on the web too.

Please log in or register to post a reply.