I'm not diabetic, can I still do BSD?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Atlas
    on

Hi.

I’m not diabetic, exercise 5 days a week and eat relatively healthy. (Pescetarian diet) However, I can’t shift my ‘love handles’!! I’m 40 in June and I’ve been advised that my hips could become an issue later in life.
    Don’t I need complex carbs to support my exercise?
    Please help someone who’s confused and has tried weight watchers!

• posted by SaltySeaBird
    on

Hi Atlas, the evidence suggests that lower-carb is better for most people, the argument being that with starchy carbs, even whole grain, raise your blood glucose (not just in diabetics) and so trigger an insulin response; insulin is then used to store the glucose as fat. Insulin can also cause a ‘sugar-crash’ which means you end up hungry again and so the cycle goes on.
    The problem with WW is that they are still using the high-carb, low-fat mantra which has been seriously discredited. Likewise with calories vs exercise
    Can I suggest you take a look at Dr Mosley’s books:
    The BSD (which goes with this site)
    Eat, Fast, Live Longer (5:2 intermittent fasting), and
    Fast exercise

I have lost over 10lbs doing this way of eating and I am not diabetic. I have also tried (and failed miserably) with low fat.
    Hope this helps – there’s loads of excellent support and advice on these forums to help you get started.
    SSB

• posted by Doodledootoo
    on

Hi Atlas

I’m not diabetic but find eating low carb helps me feel better both physically and emotionally. I don’t do the 800 plan but eat as per the principles of the med plan set out in the book. I’d echo what SSB said, grab a copy of the book and read all the way through. It’ll help you make an informed decision about what might work for you. I’m in awe of the people on here who eat the 800 way but as I’m not diabetic I choose to take the slower route that seems to work for me. I wish you well.

• posted by AnnieW
    on

It depends on your exercise levels (and often, overestimates of exertion mean too much is eaten, or treats taken). I run and strength train, mainly using my own body weight, and often run up to HM distances first thing fasted, except for a mug or two of tea first, then have a breakfast of porridge (20g) with chia, and either a spoon of peanut butter or small banana and cocoa powder with full fat milk, or maybe eggs and spinach or just chocolate milk on my return. I’m not diabetic and am at my goal weight but I do this whether reducing or maintaining. Exercising while keeping lower carb does force your body to use fat for fuel which is a bonus as unless anyone is underweight, there is plenty to keep you going.

• posted by martymonster
    on

Hi Atlas,

I think I was in a very similar situation as yourself this time last year and I have had amazing success with the BSD.

I did the 8 week fast 800 and have eaten low-carb since and have lost 12kg.

I even trained for a half marathon during the 800. The only extra calories I had was an extra pint of semi skimmed milk for the protein post run / exercise. Running without carbs is strange at first but the body adapts. Staying hydrated is WAY more important as is keeping up your salt levels. It’s suggested to drink a pint of salted water an hour before exercise. I hadn’t read that at the time and carried a bottle of salted water on my long runs. Tastes like sea water but I got used to It!

Best, Marty

Please log in or register to post a reply.